Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

On the Road to Imladris  by jenolas

7 A Welcome Return


The return journey to Thranduil's Hall proceeded at a much more leisurely pace than the frantic rush to find Eldarion, and Legolas took full advantage of the opportunity to drink in the wonderfully familiar sights and sounds of his beloved woods. A gentle breeze rustled the leaves and the sound they made was as a soft voice whispering, "we missed you". A particularly beautiful stand of beech trees attracted his attention, and with a nod of approval from Thranduil for his wordless request, Legolas left the path to stand amongst them for a brief moment. Staying completely still, he closed his eyes and inhaled deeply of the cool, sweet air, filling his lungs with the breath of the trees and his soul with the peace of being at one with the natural world he so loved.

"Is he all right? It is not the sea longing again is it?" a worried Eldarion asked. "Your Majesty," he quickly added lest he offend the King.

Despite the trouble he had caused, Thranduil found he rather liked Aragorn's son, not only for his respectful and friendly attitude, but because he showed a deep concern and loyalty towards Legolas.

" 'Thranduil' will suffice whilst we are not in the public eye, since you are a close friend of my son," the King graciously allowed, smiling at the surprised look on the young man's face. "In answer to your questions, yes, he is well, the trees simply call to him. It is a common experience. I hear them myself. No, it is not the sea longing."

"I am relieved to hear that, for I hate to see him in such a melancholy state and it saddens my father as well, for there is a great brotherly love between them,” Eldarion informed Thranduil.

"As there will always be," acknowledged Thranduil. " Tell me, what do you know about the sea longing?" He was very curious as to what Legolas and Aragorn might have told this young man.

"Very little, except that it is an elfish affliction that he has suffered since the War of the Ring and until it overcame him on our way here, I did not fully understand its danger. I was so afraid for him,” he admitted truthfully.

"Do not fear, the danger has passed for now," said Thranduil gently with a smile that did not disguise the sadness in his voice.

"Then you were able to help him, as Haldir suspected you might?" Eldarion asked hopefully, fully expecting that Thranduil had cured his son.

"Yes, I helped him, but there is no cure.” Thranduil did not wish to elaborate further on what was a personal matter between himself and his son. Unable to hide his disappointment, Eldarion turned away, only to see Legolas, now with a radiant glow added to his already fair features, approaching from amongst the trees.

"So Legolas, I see you are ready to join us again," the young man said forcing himself to sound as cheerful as his friend looked.

"Yes, but first I would know what you two are talking about that causes you both to wear such a grim countenance?" he asked, concern clouding the sunlight in his face as he came and placed his arm affectionately around Thranduil’s shoulders and stared into eyes that mirrored his own, except for the brightness of unshed tears.

"Nothing," dissembled Eldarion. Legolas was not deceived, but respected his friend's desire not to discuss the issue at this time.

"Shall we continue?" asked Thranduil, also unwilling to mention the subject of his conversation with Eldarion. "We still have quite a distance to go before we reach our destination."

"How do you know which way to go?" Eldarion asked Legolas, as Thranduil took the lead. "You do not use a map and there are no signs that I can see to indicate a path."

"As you so forcefully pointed out to your uncles, you are not an Elf," laughed Thranduil over his shoulder. Eldarion looked confused so Legolas explained.

"There are many pathways through the forest, but the signs showing the way can only be seen by elfish eyes. An Elf would have been able to find the way to the river, no matter how disoriented he became during a storm,” he explained.

"Not only that," added Thranduil walking back to join them," but the trees guide us if necessary. In fact that is how Legolas knew where to find you."

"Oh," said Eldarion. "I dare not hope that you could teach me the technique?"

"I am afraid not, it is part of the elfish song," Legolas answered. "However, we can spend the rest of the journey to my father's Hall improving your tracking skills, if you wish." Eldarion nodded assent and Legolas turned a mischievous eye to his father. "Would you care to disappear, Adar?' he asked, causing Thranduil to laugh out loud.

"It would be my pleasure, although I would be most surprised if you manage to track me down before we reach the palace," he replied and quickly vanished from their sight.

"Shall we answer his challenge?" Legolas asked. Rather than reply, Eldarion began searching for any sign of the King.

After several hours of fruitless searching, Eldarion was becoming extremely frustrated.

"Are you going to help, Legolas?" he asked as they rested beside the small stream of cool, clear water they had used to quench their thirst.

"I would like to, but I have never yet managed to defeat Adar in this game," he admitted. “I see that this is a slightly different scenario and whilst I do not know which paths he is likely to take, I do know several short cuts. Rather than track him, we could take a shorter route and arrive at Eryn Lasgalen ahead of him, and 'capture' him before he reaches his Hall."

"A devious plan of which my uncles would approve, I am sure," laughed Eldarion.

"Who do you think taught me?" asked Legolas. The plan worked and they arrived at the bridge several minutes before Thranduil.

Legolas thought the astounded and slightly annoyed look on the King’s face as he was ‘tagged’ before he reached the bridge that lead to the gates of his palace, was well worth the extra effort of travelling quickly and often through dense undergrowth. Although he tried to be angry at the deception, Thranduil could not help but join in the laughter of not only his son and his friend, and the many other Wood Elves who 'happened ' to see their King caught in one of Legolas' tricks.

                                                 *******

 The Elves of Ithilien spent many an evening singing and dancing under the stars, and Eldarion had often been a guest at those informal gatherings, so he was delighted when the Woodland elves, in a spirit of light-hearted fun, declared an impromptu celebration in honour of his safe arrival at Eryn Lasgalen. The confines of the dining hall were soon deserted for the beauty and the freedom of the forest and the singing and dancing continued well into the early hours of the next morning.

When weariness had finally overcome him and forced him to retire from the revelry to his bed, Legolas had still been in the midst of the dance circle, showing no sign of fatigue. The Elf had simply called out, "Sleep well!" and returned his attention to his partner. By the time Eldarion awoke, the sun was already high in the sky, and as he dressed he wondered whether Legolas was also still asleep. His question was answered when there was a knock on the door, and Legolas entered carrying a tray of food and drink.

"Good morning," he said cheerfully as he set the tray on the small table that stood on the balcony. "I trust you slept well, you certainly drank enough wine last night to ensure you are well rested," he teased lightly.

"You are incorrect on both counts," retorted Eldarion as he sat at the table and tasted some of the fresh strawberries. "Judging by the sun it is afternoon, not morning and I did not drink too much wine, I was simply weary from chasing your father through the forest." They both laughed at the memory of the stunned look on Thranduil's face when they 'caught' him at the bridge.

"I came to inform you that I am going to the practice range, and to see if you would care to join me. It is too many days since I last drew my bow," he admitted.

"Of course I will come, I also need to practice," Eldarion replied, quickly finishing his meal.

It seemed that a large number of the Elves also felt the need to hone their skills that particular afternoon, for the archery range was more crowded than Legolas recalled it had ever been. Many were anxious to see a demonstration of the legendary prowess of their Prince, but he was certain that there were some who were curious as to the skills of the young man. In fact, even Thranduil decided to attend, for he was as curious as the others. No one dared challenge Legolas to a contest, for it was certain defeat to do so, but several of the younger Elves sought to match their skills with Eldarion, who, whilst not winning all of the contests, defeated enough challengers to win the respect of all the archers.

"A most productive practice session," said Legolas as the three of them made their way back to the palace.

"Yes, it was, and it was also most enjoyable," replied Eldarion, sounding very pleased with himself.

"You only think that because you won a few rounds," Legolas laughed.

"Perhaps I deliberately lost to the others," Eldarion suggested mischievously, causing Legolas to laugh even harder.

"Well keep that secret to yourself, if that is the case," Thranduil warned lightly. "You do not want to cause any more trouble by offending a Woodland Elf."

"I do not know what you mean," retorted Eldarion, feigning innocence. Thranduil and Legolas exchanged a private glance of amusement.

"I see my Steward trying to attract my attention," said Thranduil, inclining his head in the direction of an Elf who was beckoning to the King. "I shall see you both later."

"So what do we do next?" Eldarion asked as they returned to Legolas' rooms, which were located at the other end of the hallway to the guest apartments.

"Tonight we will attend a private dinner with Adar. Tomorrow, if it suits you, I will take you on a tour of my favourite places in the palace and the forest."

"I would be pleased to see them, especially since we must leave for our meeting with Elladan and Elrohir the day after tomorrow, if I judge the travel time correctly."

"Yes, you are correct." Legolas replied, feeling a wave of sadness at having to leave so soon. "Adar has ordered a formal banquet to farewell us tomorrow evening."

"Another feast?" Eldarion asked, shaking his head in disbelief. "You Woodland Elves certainly like to make the most of every occasion. Father holds only one banquet each year."

"He is not an Elf," sighed Legolas, quoting Eldarion's own words as his answer.

As promised, Legolas spent the following day rediscovering his favourite places in and around his home, seeing them anew through the eyes of his young friend. They visited the infamous dungeons and the trees Legolas had first spoken to as an elfling. He showed Eldarion the secret place he used to hide in when he was in trouble, or just feeling sad. They even travelled a short way down the Forest River on one of the barges that had once been used for transporting goods. The day passed quickly and soon it was time to prepare for the banquet.

"I will call for you in about two hours," said Legolas as they parted ways at the door to Eldarion's rooms. "I hope you do not take offence, but tonight is a formal occasion, and since your travel pack is still in Lothlórien, I have had a selection of robes placed in your room."

"Thank you, that was very thoughtful, and no offence taken," said Eldarion.

When he answered the knock on the door a few hours later, he almost did not recognise his friend. Legolas stood before him, looking every inch the Elven Prince he was, dressed in a sea green robe, with golden leaves embroidered on the sleeves and yoke. His golden hair had been brushed until it shone and was held from his face by a silver circlet about which fresh green leaves were entwined.

"I have never seen you dressed so formally before," Eldarion commented, still a little taken aback by the handsome elegance of his friend. "Although it is probably wise that you do not appear in Minas Tirith so attired, for I do not think the Healer's Hall could handle the number of maidens you would cause to swoon." Legolas smiled at his friend's teasing compliment.

"The dark blue you have selected looks well on you, and were you not spoken for, I think you would cause many a maid to suffer the same malady," Legolas offered graciously in return.

The Great Hall was adorned with garlands of leave and fresh flowers, and many small lanterns hung from the high ceiling, their bright light emulating the stars in the evening sky. There was a great variety of food and drink set out on the tables and to one side the musicians were keeping everyone entertained as they awaited the arrival of the King. Legolas and Eldarion took their places of honour either side of the King's chair at the head of the table, and all eyes were on the handsome Prince, until his adar entered the room.

Thranduil looked absolutely magnificent in an elegantly cut robe, that was a green so dark that it was almost black, embroidered with the same leaf pattern as on his son's robes. His golden hair shone as if it had captured the light of the sun and to compliment it, his crown was made of an intricate interlacing of the leaves and flowers of the season. He was greeted with respectful bows and curtsies as he walked regally through the crowd to his place at the head of the table.

Eldarion could not help but stare at the two beings who looked so much alike, and seemed to shine with an inner glow of power and majesty, the like of which he had never before seen and he was forced to admit to himself just how different he and Legolas really were, how different Men and Elves were from one another.

 

                                               ********

 

It was well into the next morning before Thranduil awoke to a dark and gloomy day. The grey storm clouds that filled the sky and hid the light of the sun were simply a reflection of the shadow of sadness in his heart; the rain he could smell in the air, his unshed tears. Legolas was leaving again. The King knew his son had obligations to fulfil; to Eldarion, Aragorn, the Elves who had followed him to Ithilien, and even to the Dwarf he chose to call friend. Thranduil was selfish enough to want his son to stay, to keep him safe; to help him deal with the sea longing that would eventually return to claim his heart and soul. All this he had conveyed to Legolas last night, not with words but with the simple gesture of a fatherly embrace. The gentle kiss on the cheek he had received in return spoke eloquently of his son's soul deep love and respect for his Adar. They would part for now, but with a promise to be together forever when Valinor finally called them both home.

He walked slowly to the bridge in front of his Hall, where the travellers were waiting to depart.

"Farewell, young Prince of Gondor," Thranduil said with a slight nod of the head. "Give my regards to your father when you return home, and try not to cause more trouble than Celeborn will tolerate when you reach Imladris."

"I will do as you wish, on both counts," said Eldarion, bowing respectfully. "Farewell, your Majesty, I thank you for your hospitality."

"Namarie, Adar. Remember, you are always welcome to come to Ithilien. For the Midsummer feast?" he asked hopefully, the eagerness in his voice reminding the King of the elfling his son had once been and bringing a smile to his face.

"I think perhaps I will," he agreed, his words eliciting a radiant smile from his son. "I would be very interested to see the progress you and your friends have made. Namarie my son," Thranduil said sadly. "Have a safe journey."

 Legolas drew him into a final quick hug and with a final wave to the many friends who were at the bridge to see them on their way; Legolas and Eldarion headed into the forest and quickly disappeared from view.












.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List