Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Torn apart  by Finda

Disclaimer: I don't own anything of Tolkien's works.

I have Mal to thank for editing and reading it beta *hugs* thanks a lot:)

This is my first attempt to write something in English, so please be kind with me in case you might find some grammar mistakes. Reviews are most welcome:)

Torn apart

With silent steps she walked down the splendid hallway. Her black hair hung loose down her back, lifted by the gentle wind, that had sought and found a path through the open windows. She did not notice the fine smell of that beautiful night, nor did she spare a glance for the countless stars, whose radiance lighted up her seemingly endless way.

She only stopped when she caught sight of a certain door. No secret observer would have considered it special in any way, for it was like all the others within these great halls. Yet, she hesitated, and she breathed out deeply before she finally dared to open it. Cautiously, so that she would give no hint of her presence to whoever the occupant of that room was, she slipped through the doorway.

Inside, the majestic moon was the only source of light, causing the furniture and countless toys to cast long shadows on the floor. Slowly she made her way to the bed. It looked far too big for that tiny little figure, who lay curled up within a mass of soft blankets. There she stood, watching the sleeping boy, a lonely tear rolling down her fair face. Carefully, so that she would not wake the child, she reached out and stroked his cheek with great tenderness. At the sight of him breathing regularly within his slumber a sad smile replaced the grimace of bitterness she had worn when entering the room.

It was not until she felt two strong arms wrapped around her waist that she released her eyes from the sight of the boy. Sighing she leaned herself into the embrace and allowed his gentle touch to comfort her, pretending that her present situation would be nothing more than a nightmare. Only his silent voice brought her back to reality.

“Even if my love for you might not be strong enough to make you remain here, stay for his sake. He will need his mother.” Almost begging, he looked at the still peacefully sleeping boy. He did not know yet, that all too soon his mother would be gone, that soon they would have lost her to the call of the sea, to Valinor. How could he ever explain her loss to him? Remaining within his tight embrace, she turned her face to him and locked his eyes with hers.

“This is no matter of love but of a longing I have no control over.”, she said silently, not wanting to disturb the child’s peaceful slumber, “I curse the day I heard the call of the sea for the first time, for it meant parting from the ones I love. After Legolas birth I thought I had found my own sea in his blue eyes, but now it consumes me the more. I must go.” Her face spoke of all the despair she felt. She was torn apart between her longing for the sea on the one hand and the love for her husband and son on the other. How was she ever supposed to live without them?

“I will go with you, then. I am nothing without you.”

“And leave your kingdom behind?”, She laughed sadly, “You are bound to the forest until our people will leave these shores forever.” He sighed, knowing that she was right- as she usually was. Burying his head into her soft hair he finally gave in.

“The only hope that will keep me alive through all the centuries to come is the thought of seeing you again in Valinor. Be sure that I will wait an entire eternity for you, my one and only love.” Their lips met in a passionate kiss full of unspoken promises. Yes, in spite of all despair there was still hope- hope to meet again and finally be together forever.

 

 

 





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List