Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Dare  by LOTRFaith

Disclaimer: See default chapter

The Dare: Part 2

Cool breeze and autumn leaves
Slow motion daylight
A lone pair of watchful eyes
Oversee the living
Feel the presence all around
A tortured soul
A wound un-healing
No regrets or promises
The past is gone
But you can still be free
If time will set you free
Time now to spread your wings
To take to flight
The life endeavor
Aim for the burning sun
You're trapped inside
But you can still be free
If time will set you free
But it's a long, long way to go

(You can still be free sung by Savage Garden)

A slender, white hand lifted the curtain revealing a courtyard brimming with life. Elves as well as men scurried about, some taking horses, others taking baggage.

Legolas sighed. He still had yet to show himself after the previous day of drinking. He was thoroughly shamed of himself. He turned away letting the heavy curtain back into place. Walking slowly back to a chair near the bed, he allowed himself sink in the cushions. He was tired, exhausted from his last bout of sea longing.

Since everyone had thought him asleep, they must have decided to let him sleep as long as possible. Though usually Gimli stayed at his side whenever he woke from any sea longing, he was nowhere to be found.

Legolas closed his eyes, trying to ignore the pounding in his brain. Though the room was closed off and almost completely dark, he felt as though he was in a bright sunlight. He rubbed his hand against his forehead, trying to rub the pain away.

A soft knock on the door averted his attention. "Enter." He called out.

The twins entered. "How are you?" They greeted.

Legolas gave a wane smile. "As well as can be expected."

The twins exchanged glances then sat down simultaneously on the bed. "It hurts doesn't it?" Elladan asked sympathetically.

Legolas closed his eyes, and ran a hand through his loose hair. Someone had loosened the warrior braids and he felt as though he did not even have the energy to re-braid them again. "I should have listened to Lady Galadriel." He replied softly. He studied the floor, taking in its intricate design. Actually he was avoiding the eyes of the twins. He didn't want to see any more pity, especially in the eyes of fellow elves. Fellow warriors.

This was his battle that he must fight. No one could help him now.

"Do you regret going with us to the Paths of the Dead?" Elrohir asked softly.

Immediately Legolas' head snapped up. "Of course not!" He exclaimed. "I would have followed Aragorn regardless."

"Even though this is the price?" Elladan pressed. "Out of all the fellowship you are the one who had the most to lose."

Legolas frowned. "How so?"

A loud pounding on the door cut off Elladan's reply. Legolas gave a low groaned and clutched his head. "Enter!" He called out after a few moments.

The four hobbits broke into the room. Frodo was a little further behind, but his face was as bright as the others. Pippin threw himself upon Legolas' lap. "We heard you were sick and came to make you better." He proclaimed.

Despite himself, Legolas laughed. Elladan and Elrohir smiled as well, happy to see a small part of their friend was still there.

"It's so dark in here, Master Legolas." Sam put forward. "What you need is some good fresh air." And with that strode over to the drawn curtains and threw them open.

Legolas winced at the bright sunlight hitting his eyes.

The others were oblivious; chatting merrily they pulled Legolas up and proceeded to start dragging him out the doors.

Legolas felt a surge of panic race though him. "Where are we going?" He asked casually.

"Oh!" Sam looked rather shocked. "Didn't you 'ear?" He questioned. "Lady Galadriel is here and she asked to see you."

Legolas stopped so fast that he almost tipped over because the hobbits were still pulling at him. He looked down at his rumpled clothing. "I have to change first, Master Gamgee." Legolas said as gently as possible. "I cannot go out looking as such!" He laughed, gesturing towards his clothes.

The hobbits looked at one another, then at Legolas. Surprisingly Frodo took charge. "Well then, Master elf." He said smiling. "Pippin, call the maid to get the hot water started. Merry, go to the kitchens and get Legolas something to eat. Sam, why don't you and I go tell Lady Galadriel that Legolas will be there in a little while."

Pippin frowned. "But I want to go get the food!" He cried out.

"Pip!" Merry looked horrified. "You'd eat all the food before it gets here!"

"That's enough out of you two." Sam put a stop to the small argument. "You'll do as Master Frodo said."

Legolas couldn't help but smile at the four hobbits as they went on their way. Frodo and Sam had suffered the worst, suffered the hardest. Yet they still remained so innocent! Their bright cheery laughter brightened up the dark halls of Minas Tirith and more often than not, many of the soldiers would request the two youngest hobbits to sing.

Legolas sighed then turned back into the now bright room. "I guess I have my orders." He said ruefully.

"You'd better follow them too." Elrohir put in humorously. "Or else Sam's liable to go after you with one of his pots."

Legolas shook his head, and began to strip off the rumpled shirt. Rummaging in through his pack he frowned. His blue shirt with the rune like figures running down the front was missing. And he had taken no extra with him.

"Don't worry Legolas, we brought along some extra's." Elladan spoke up.

Legolas grimaced. "Just what I need, to wear Rivendell's colors." He muttered.

Elladan laughed. "Don't worry, when we rode through Mirkwood."

"What!" Legolas cried out. "You rode through Mirkwood and you didn't tell me!"

"Elrohir!" Elladan rebuked. "I thought I told you to tell him!"

"You didn't tell me anything and besides, you always tell him everything anyways." Elrohir retorted.

Elladan shook his head. "Anyway, your father knew of Aragorn's coronation ceremony and knew that you had only brought along what was on your back, so he sent some of your more, shall we say." Elladan tapped his finger on his bottom lip. "Fancier clothes?"

Legolas groaned. He could well imagine what his father had sent.

"But." Elrohir spoke up. "Thalion stopped us before we left and gave us some of your what did he call them 'Dan?"

"I think he said, 'warrior clothing'?" Elladan replied, his brow furrowed in thought.

Instantly Legolas' face brightened.

The twins laughed. "I'll go get it." Elrohir offered.

"And I'll see what I can do about those tattoos." Elladan frowned.

Legolas shook his head. "I like them though!"

Elladan laughed, then sobered when Legolas didn't. "You're not serious?" He asked hesitantly. "Are you?"

*~*~*

Aragorn paced the throne room, Eomer and Faramir looking on rather amused.

"What if she's not here?" Aragorn bit his lip. Horrified that he even said it aloud.

"If what I know is true about Lady Arwen, she is here." Faramir comforted his almost crowned king.

"What if Elrond refuses to let Arwen marry?" Aragorn fretted.

"You could always marry Ewoyn." Eomer put in slyly watching Faramir response.

"No!" Soon to be King and steward looked at each other surprised before Eomer started laughing.

Aragorn smiled advancing toward his steward. "Is there something I should know about?" He questioned.

Faramir looked startled. "No." He bit his lip. "At least not right now." He finished weakly.

Eomer grinned, slapping the younger man on the back. "If you break her heart I will break your body." He said still smiling.

Faramir paled. "I guess that's fair enough." He replied weakly.

Eomer winked at Aragorn then stuck his hand out. "Then we are agreed."

Aragorn laughed as Faramir hesitantly shook Eomer's hand.

"Aragorn!" The three men turned to see a smaller figure approach them. "Have you seen that blasted elf yet?"

Aragorn frowned. "No, I sent the hobbits to wake him if necessary."

Gimli huffed incredulous. "It was just a few pints of beer!" He cried out at the rather accusing glares he received from the three men.

"A few?" Faramir asked incredulous. "You call fourteen pints of beer a few?" He shook his head. "I don't want to know what you call a lot!"

Gimli growled. "I would watch yourself master human." He swung his axe up menacingly. "This axe has yet to taste the blood of a Gondorian!"

Faramir held his hands up placating. "I meant no insult Gimli. It's just that I doubt that many would understand your idea of small."

A laugh came from the doorway as the door creaked opened revealing two hobbits.

There had been a couple of moments during Frodo's healing that had worried Aragorn, and he was glad to see that the hobbit was up and about. Even if there still was a shadow lurking in his blue eyes.

"Frodo, Sam." Aragorn greeted them. "Is Legolas up yet?"

"Oh Master Legolas decided he needed a bath and a good change of clothes, Strider." Sam blushed furiously. "I mean Aragorn."

Aragorn laughed. "Don't worry about the name just yet Samwise."

Sam shook his head. "My old Gaffer would be right shamed if I didn't call you by your right name." He replied.

Frodo laughed. "Indeed he would!" He turned to Aragorn. "What is plaguing Legolas, Aragorn?"

Aragorn sighed. "It is called sea longing." He shook his head. "He saw the sea when we went upon the Path's of the Dead."

Frodo nodded, he remembered that part of the tale rather well. He had learned much about the elves not only from Bilbo but also from the many elves when he dwelled in Rivendell for a time. So long ago now. "He will have no peace until he leaves these shores." Frodo said quietly.

Aragorn nodded sadly. "I am half tempted to let him go." He frowned. "I told him that he could go after I was wedded."

"What?" The two hobbits, dwarf and two men exclaimed.

Aragorn shook his head. "I cannot hold him here any longer." He explained. "He did his duty, he has no children. No wife. The only thing holding him back now is himself."

"What about his sibling? His father?" Faramir questioned.

Aragorn shook his head. "They would all give their consent. Including Thranduil."

A somber mood cast itself upon the small group. Each realizing that their friend could be leaving. Though Eomer and Faramir had known the elf for far a shorter time than any of the other four, they had grown to respect the elf and were proud to call him their friend.

"Why all the grim faces?" A gruff voice called out.

"Gandalf! You're back!" Frodo cried out, happy to see the wizard again. Gandalf had disappeared for nearly two weeks and had finally decided to 'pop' back into the city.

Eomer and Faramir gave a low bow.

Gandalf smiled at the young black haired hobbit. "Back?" He questioned. "Why I never left. You just couldn't see me."

Aragorn laughed. "You've been digging in the archives again haven't you Gandalf."

Gandalf shrugged. "Have I now?" He replied evasively. "Now, why all the grim faces?" He asked again.

"We were talking about Mister Legolas, Gandalf." Sam put in. "How his sea longing is going to take him away from us."

Gandalf nodded slowly, leaning on his staff. "I fear for the youngling." He said seriously. "The sea longing was something that I had not anticipated." He shook his head. "It will be a long battle for our elven friend." He said. "I will talk to him though, have no fears. There will be something good out of all of this." He smiled mysteriously. "Especially now."

Aragorn frowned. "What do you mean?"

At that moment trumpet sounded.

*~*~*

Legolas quickly dried off. The twins had finally left him to his privacy leaving the Mirkwood elf to quickly bath. As he was pulling on his shirt he heard the sounds of hooves against the cobblestones. Fasting his shirt he walked over to the window. There in front of him he saw Lord Elrond, Lord Glorfindal, Lord Celeborn, Lady Galadriel, Arwen, and. Lomion?"

Ignoring the fact that his hair was still wet and not braided he rushed out of the room in search of his older brother.

Racing into the throne room he saw the hobbits, dwarf, wizard and men but paid them no mind, as he rushed past them and flung open the doors. Lomion had just dismounted and was looking around when he spotted his little brother.

"Legolas!" He cried out. He swept his arms wide open and caught the younger elf in his arms.

The older elves all smiled at the greeting. Each happy to see the Mirkwood prince safe and unharmed.

Legolas drew back after a little while and Lomion was started to see tear tracks running down the porcelain cheeks. "Legolas?" He asked hesitantly.

Legolas laughed as he quickly wiped the tears away. "How is ada?" He asked eagerly. "Thalion and Miriwen? Tasari and Arielle? Lothgil and Thorinell? How is Lainiel? And Orophin?"

Lomion laughed at the barrage of questions. "Come." He said. "We will fix your hair and then I will answer your questions."

Legolas blushed as he realized his hair was still a mess. He raised a hand to his hair and blushed even further as he realized that the most powerful elves in all Middle Earth were watching him. He bowed quickly. "Lord Elrond, Lord Celeborn, Lady Galadriel." He muttered in greeting. His face was beet red from embarrassment.

Each easily slipping from their own horses, they smiled at the young prince. "I am glad to see you are well, Legolas." Elrond spoke up.

Legolas smiled back albeit weakly. "As am I to see you all well."

"Many things have happened since we last saw each other, young Prince." Galadriel spoke softly. "You did not heed my warning." It was spoken as a statement not a question, so Legolas found no reason to answer.

Lomion frowned at the seeming rudeness coming from his youngest brother. Discreetly he nudged the back leg of the younger prince, warning him. Legolas blushed again. Then he spoke.

"It was not out of malice, nor disregard, my Lady." He said quietly, in thought. "I only did it because Aragorn needed me too." He gave a small sad smile. "I do not regret it."

Galadriel approached him and carefully laid a cool hand on the still blushing cheek. "I am glad you do not. I warned you out of caution, not something that you had to do."

Legolas gave her a wane smile. "Thank you for the warning, and I beg your forgiveness if I have upset you."

Lomion stopped anything else that might have been said quickly whirling his brother around to face him. "What warning?" He asked.

Legolas' lower lip trembled. "It is the sea longing Lomion." His gaze turned toward the sea. "I am tormented by the sea."

Lomion took a step backward. "What?"

As tears filled his eyes, Legolas quickly lowered his eyes and then, abandoning all pride, he turned and fled back inside. Tears slowly making their way down his porcelain cheeks.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List