Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Ch 17 One down, one to go

The twins could not, nay, did not, want to accept the ‘offering’ that was left for them. The filmy curtains fluttered as the breeze entered the open window. Or would have fluttered, except for the red, green and blue ribbons that festooned them. In the middle was a piece of parchment. Both winced as they saw what was written.

Elrondions:

You are mine. This ‘old elf’ will bring you down.

Thranduil

Elladan looked around seeing if the elven king was in the room. Elrohir also had the feeling of eyes watching them. Where were those three?

Those three had, in the meantime, entered Glorfindel’s room. While it had been fun playing with the mice, er, twins, it was getting a bit late. Mayhap it was time to put them out of their misery.

Estel poked his head into the hall. All clear. He motioned the Thranduil and Legolas. The three slipped into Elrond’s room.

Elladan and Elrohir were discussing their next move but were unable to decide the best course of action.

“Mayhap we should split up. I will scout and find them. You stay here.”

Legolas recognized the speaker as Elrohir.

“Nay, we should stay together. We cannot be captured while we are here.” Elladan was just as determined.

“I wish we could just capture one of them. It would even the odds.”

Legolas smiled as he looked at his companions. “Shall I be the scapegoat?” he whispered.

“If you desire, mellon nin.” answered Estel, mirroring the Mirkwood prince’s smile.

“Aye, it is the only way. Ada will have the fun of getting Elrohir.”

Thranduil quietly laughed as the two friends discussed their plan. He bowed to his son.

“Hannon le, ion nin. I will be happy to ‘avenge’ your ‘capture.’ Have fun!”

Legolas laughed as he silently entered the hall. Now to get the twins’ attention…

The Mirkwood prince knocked on the wall, softly. He knew the twins would have to investigate.

The door to Elrohir’s room opened slightly and cautiously. An eye peeked around the edge.

Legolas continued to walk down the hall, apparently paying no heed to what was happening behind him.

As he walked, he was aware of footsteps following him. He sped up, walking quickly down the hall to his room.

Suddenly, he felt a hand on his shoulder. He tried to hide the smile as he turned to greet the elf.

“I was wondering how long it would take you to find me,” laughed Legolas. “Thank you for the food and drink.”

“Yes, it was very tasty, Elrondion.” Elladan quailed as he turned and saw Thranduil standing behind him. “This ‘old elf’ enjoyed it. It would amuse me to have you wear my ribbon.”

Elladan ruefully took the ribbon and headed to the library along with Leglas.

“One down, one to go,” said Estel as he entered the room from the balcony.

Elrohir was alone. He could feel the loneliness as he waited for Elladan’s return. Where was that brother of his?

Elrohir felt a shiver pass through his frame. He did not want to believe that Elladan had been captured, even though every sign pointed to that particular conclusion. He was alone, with a human, an elven prince, and a very vengeful elven king just waiting for him to make one slip.

Very well. This was one elf that would not be caught without a fight!

He decided to set a trap to catch the unwary. He got a bucket of water and fixed it over the door. To make it even more tempting, he left the door ajar. He was sure Thranduil would be the one to open the door. He did make sure he had a clear path to the balcony, however. He then stood near the bed and waited.

He could hear noises in the hall. Footsteps. Doors opening and closing. He disregarded all.

He whirled around as he heard a light thump as something landed on the balcony. He saw the tray and pitchers setting there. Empty. Rather than leave the articles, he decided to bring them in.

As he reached for the tray, he heard an odd noise coming through the open door.. Thump, drag, thump, drag. It sounded as though it were everywhere.

He brought the tray in, then cautiously tried to see what was making that noise.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List