Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Ch 14 Inside Rivendell

Estel quietly started to take the wall down, being careful to neatly pile the stones to one side. After he had breached the wall, he slowly slid the material aside. He listened for a time, then motioned Legolas and Thranduil forward as he entered the storeroom.

All three stood, listening, but heard nothing. Estel then reset the stones back into the hole, and let the grey material cover the wall.

Thranduil noticed how the material mimicked the stone of the rest of the storeroom. He was increasingly impressed by Estel’s planning.

He and Legolas waited for Estel to begin. Estel went to the door, and with his dagger, pushed the bar up so he could open it. He stepped quickly through the door, and was able to grab the bar before it hit the floor. He dramatically wiped his forehead, causing Legolas to muffle his laughter, and earning a silent laugh from the elven king.

Quietly, the three spread out, staying in the shadows and alcoves wherever possible.

They could hear footsteps as someone was walking down the hall.

Legolas motioned to Estel that he would ‘capture’ the elf. As the elf walked past, Legolas tapped his shoulder. The elf was surprised when he saw the prince, and smiled. It was the baker, Gildor. Gildor whispered, “Captured?”

Legolas smiled, nodded, and handed his ribbon to Gildor, who promptly fastened it to his tunic. He said, “Now that I am captured, I can tell Estel that his brothers are setting a trap in the living quarters. As a prisoner, I have to tell you all I know. Good hunting, Estel. I have the tarts ready to bake.” He smiled at Estel as he retrieved flour from another storeroom.

“Hannon le, Gildor. I appreciate your news.” Estel smiled as he helped with the cask.

Gildor took the cask, and told the three, “I will finish my baking, then will go to the library.”

The three stealthily went up the steps, watching but not seeing anyone. They made it to the next floor without being detected.

They could hear voices, two of which were instantly recognizable - Elladan and Elrohir. The twins were, predictably, arguing. “Did you see Gildor with that ribbon? They are here, somewhere. I say we look for them and find them before they find us.” The speaker was Elladan. They could hear Elrohir’s reply, “I say let them find us. Between us, we can certainly deal with a youngster, and King Thranduil is older, so he should be easy to capture. Legolas is the one we really have to find.”

“None can even get into Rivendell without being noticed. I think Legolas gave Gildor that ribbon before he even left.”

Estel glanced at Thranduil, and saw a look in the elven king’s eyes that boded evil for a certain pair of Rivendell twins. He merely smiled, deciding that if His Majesty wanted to 'capture' the twins, he would not stand in his way.

Estel and Thranduil went ahead and entered the hall, listening as they softly and swiftly entered the kitchen area. There were a few elves finishing the cleaning. Each received a ribbon, and went to the library, smiling and laughing as they went.

Legolas, in the meantime, had entered the dining area, and to his surprise, as well as Glorfindel and Erestor’s, 'captured' the two elves. Glorfindel bowed to Legolas as a measure of respect.

“Let us retire to the library, shall we, mellon nin?” asked Erestor with a smile. Glorfindel laughed and replied, “I will follow.” Turning to Legolas, he merely said, “Good hunting.”

Legolas returned the balrog-slayer’s bow, and left to meet with his father and his friend.

  





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List