Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

To fool an Elf  by frodo16424

Neither Elladan nor Elrohir noticed their brother’s absence - at first. They thought he was sleeping in, and they decided to wake him up in their own rather wild, demented way.

“Legolas, would you like to come with us and wake Estel up? It seems he is sleeping late today,” said Elrohir, with a wicked gleam in his eyes.

“Are you sure he is sleeping? Perhaps he has risen, and has left,” replied Legolas.

“Nay, he would have notified us when and if he had left,” retorted Elladan as Elrond and Glorfindel entered the dining hall.

“Legolas, your Adar has informed me that he and Estel have gone on a short hunting trip. The two left early this morning. They will be back shortly,” said Glorfindel.

The twins rolled their eyes, while Legolas said, “I pity Adar. He will see just how much trouble there will be whenever Estel is around. Mayhap you ought to make sure you have herbs and bandages, Adar Elrond.”

Elrond merely had a half-smile on his face that made the twins uneasy.

A few days later, a scout met with Elrond in his study. After he had left, Elrond stood for a few moments, then sent for Glorfindel, Elladan and Elrohir.

“I have a diplomatic mission for the three of you. I have just received word that two healers from Andrast are being sent to Rivendell to study with me. I would have you meet them, and bring them to Rivendell. Erellont is a master healer; his apprentice is Aerandir. There is traveling with them one who has been badly injured in a rock fall. He is being brought here for further treatment.

“ I have word you should meet them near the Misty Mountains in two days time. Legolas, I would have you stay here and assist me.”

Legolas agreed, saying, “I would be here when Adar returns. I have dispatches I must read, then I will assist.”

The other three elves made ready to depart.

As the three elves neared the Misty Mountains, they could see the healers had arrived. They greeted their guests. They saw that the healers were garbed head to foot in loose, flowing robes of richly colored silk. Their faces were veiled by their headdresses, which were held in place by gold bands. There was a litter borne by one of the horses. Elrohir noticed the young man on it was loosely tied to a board, so it supported his back. His face was veiled as well.

The two healers bowed deeply as the delegation rode up.

Glorfindel dismounted and returned the bow. “My Lords, on behalf of Elrond of Rivendell, I welcome you to Imladris. I have the honor of presenting Elladan and Elrohir, sons of Elrond. I am Glorfindel.”

As the elf-lord introduced the twins, they also bowed to the healers. “Welcome, my lords.”

“We thank you for the warm reception, my lords. We are indeed honored to meet you.” As the two healers spoke, their voices low and melodious seemed almost a whisper.

“Do you wish to continue on to Rivendell now, or would you wish to start on the morrow?” asked Glorfindel.

“I, for one, would rather journey on to Rivendell, my lords. It has been some time since we have slept in a bed. I, for one, would welcome a real bed and bath,” replied Erellont.

He called to the servants waiting with them, “Come. Our travels are almost over.”

The delegation started for Rivendell.

The twins were curious as to why the healers were veiled, but knew not to ask. Aerandir, however, satisfied their curiosity. “You may be wondering why we are veiled,” he said, “it is simply a tradition among our people. We do not show our faces to the world. Among friends, it is different. We do not wear veils then.”

Elrohir smiled and said, “I trust, then, that we will be friends. How was your journey, Lord Aerandir?”

“Please, not Lord, I prefer Aerandir. As to our journey, it went fairly smooth. However, I will be glad to leave this saddle, and walk on my own feet. Is it far to Rivendell?”

“Two days, but it is an easy journey,” replied Glorfindel as he led the party down the trail to home.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List