Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Life is What Happens  by Pervinca

7: Controlling an Excited Took

With the party coming closer, it became more and more difficult for young Peregrin to control his excitement. On the 21st of September, the day before the party, he would not sit down or be hushed.

“Can’t we leave today?” he begged his father.

“What would we do when we arrived, Peregrin?” Paladin replied. “I am sure Bilbo has enough on his plate today without having you running around Bag End. We are leaving first thing tomorrow morning.”

Pippin grumbled to himself: “I doubt that will happen. Pearl and Pimpernel will never be ready in time. Girls are so slow.”

It was Merry who earned the job of looking over his overly excited cousin, since all of the adults were busy preparing the transportation and everything else. Pearl and Pimpernel had promptly refused to watch their baby brother, but Pervinca offered to lend Merry a helping hand. Merry accepted, but only because Pippin had told him that Pervinca knew about the pranks they had planned for the party.

And so Meriadoc Brandybuck and Peregrin and Pervinca Took spent the day before Bilbo Baggins’ famous party by the side of a pond. Pervinca had scored the role of lookout (since Merry doubted she wanted to get her clothes all wet and dirty). She was to call out if she saw anyone approaching, especially if it was Pimpernel. Hidden neatly in a bush were several jars, containing frogs, lizards and worms, and beside that, a small bag of rocks. Merry and Pippin had had a quite productive morning, but they still felt they could use a few more frogs.

“There’s one!” Pippin cried, pouncing after a small green and brown frog. He clasped his hands around it, but it was slippery and managed to jump out. Pippin grabbed at it several more times, each time missing, before he fell face first into the pond. Shaking his head free of muddy water, he cried to Merry: “Catch it!”

Merry ran after the frog, but tripped on a submerged branch and also ended up face first in the pond. Hearing the ruckus, Pervinca left her post to see what was going on. The minute she was in site, both her brother and cousin screeched at her: “Grab it, before it gets away!”

It took her a moment to realise that they were talking about a rather terrified frog, which had come to rest just inches away from her feet. In a lightening fast movement, Pervinca scooped the frog up in her hands and found a spare jar to store it in. Pippin and Merry grinned as they emerged from the pond.

“Fantastic job, Cousin Pervinca,” said Merry, patting Pervinca on the back with his very muddy hand.

“Merry!” she cried. “Don’t touch me! You’re all dirty!”

Merry grinned. “What was that, Pervinca? You want to go for a swim in the pond? Well, come on, Pip, let’s help her out!”

Pervinca screamed and ran from the two young hobbits, but she laughed as she did. Leaving the frogs in their hiding spot, Merry and Pippin chased Pervinca halfway around Tuckborough. Though she was having fun, Pervinca knew they would all be in BIG trouble when they returned home.

* * * * * *

True to Pervinca’s prediction, Eglantine was furious (though this was hardly an uncommon event when she had a son like Pippin), and even Esmeralda gave Merry a good scolding. She was usually quite forgiving to her son and only child. Pervinca was not immune to the screaming, for Eglantine thought she should have kept a better watch on “these two rascals”.

Luckily for all of them, Merry was an incredible liar, something that he had taught to both his younger cousins. Pervinca did not know how he managed to keep a straight face as he lied through his teeth. “We’re awfully sorry, Mother, Aunt Eglantine. I’m afraid we were having a bit of a game, which got out of hand. Pippin and I were chasing Pervinca – I thought it would be a good idea for Pippin to use up some of his excess energy – but we tripped and ended up in the pond. We shall clean up at once.”

Esmeralda looked at her son sceptically, but accepted the excuse none-the-less. “Off you go then.”

The children were all sent to bed rather early that night, so that they would “wake up bright and fresh” the next day. As Pervinca readied herself for bed, she could hear Merry and Pippin chatting happily, and she wondered how much sleep they would end up having. A soft knock on her door captured her attention.

“Pervinca, may I come in?” It was Paladin’s voice.

“Of course, Father,” she replied, as she finished combing her hair.

Paladin opened the door and smiled fondly at his youngest daughter. She sat on her bed and motioned for him to join her. “Sit down, Father.”

He nodded and sat next to her. “I wanted to talk to you, Pervinca.”

A look of horror showed clearly in Pervinca’s eyes. There was something in the tone of his voice.

“I spoke to Pearl and Pimpernel today, to find out what they had been talking about the other day. While you children were trying on your party clothes.” Paladin sighed. “It took me a while, but I finally managed to get them to talk. Is it true that you showed a fancy in Master Samwise, Frodo’s gardener?”

“Yes,” Pervinca replied, in a scarce whisper. “They confronted me about it…”

“Now I understand why you have seemed so distant these past few days. What did they say to you?”

“That because I was from a rich family, I could never marry a common gardener. And if I did, you would all disown me.” That was not completely true, but it was how Pearl and Pimpernel had made Pervinca feel.

“I would never allow that to happen, my sweet, no matter what happened,” Paladin soothed, softly. “But I do not know what your mother would think.”

“But I don’t think I want to marry Sam! I was just…curious…”

“Curious? Of course you are, Pervinca. It’s hardly surprising when you have two older sisters.” He lowered his voice. “Your Aunt Esmeralda was much like that when she was your age. Did Master Samwise return this curiosity?”

“I…I don’t know.”

Paladin nodded, but smiled. “I am glad to hear that you do not wish to marry Sam. As fine a fellow as he is, I do think that he would eventually break your heart. He is betrothed after all.”

“Betrothed?” Pervinca repeated. No one had told her that.

“As far as I know – from what Cousin Bilbo has told me – Samwise has been lined up to marry young Rosie Cotton since he was a small child. Her family is quite close to his, and it was decided when Rose was born, I believe.” Paladin stroked his daughter’s hair as this information sunk in. “But though I say that, I see no reason why you should not explore your curiosity, especially if Sam shares it. Deep friendships can often be formed from failed romances.”

Pervinca smiled and embraced her father. “Thank you, thank you so much.”

“Anytime, my sweet.”

She gave her father a strange look. “You haven’t lined someone up for me to marry someday, have you?”

Paladin laughed. “No, child, there is no need to fear that. Though betrothals are common in our family, your mother and I decided that you children should follow your own hearts. Though I will not hide it from you, Adelard Took has asked about you on many occasions. His youngest son, Everard, is close in age to you. And then of corse, there is young Merimas Brandybuck, and…”

“Father, stop!” Pervinca giggled, before her father could rattle off another twenty potential suitors. She hugged him again.

Placing a soft kiss on the top of her head, Paladin whispered, “To sleep now, Pervinca. We have a big day tomorrow.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List