Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Miscreants and Rapscallions  by Elendiari22

Disclaimer: I don’t own them, and I’ll put them back safely when I’m done!

 

Chapter Seven: Battle Plans and Ladies Plans

     Legolas had often wished for the floor to open up and consume him, but never so much as he did now. When Elladan and Elrohir cried out in shock and chagrin, Legolas had reeled and leaned heavily against Rowan, who tried to hold him up. A string of Quenya words tumbled incoherently out of his gagged mouth, words that he was truly glad that the little lad could not understand.

     Thranduil, for his part, ignored the shocked cries of his name, and traded glances with Aragorn. The High King’s eyebrows were raised, and the gleam in his eyes belied the stern expression on his face. Thranduil noticed that the other were not doing nearly so well at hiding their amusement. Prince Faramir looked completely bemused, King Eomer seemed to have developed a twitch in his cheek, and Pippin was grinning openly. The Elvenking chose not to say anything, allowing Aragorn to take control of the situation.

    Aragorn, for his part, was trying desperately to have a steady voice when he spoke. Faramir Took was faring very well at the hands of the Elves, who were nearly always kind to their captives. His broken arm was still in its sling, but his good arm had a soft rope tied around the wrist. The rope was attached to the belt of one Haldir, formerly of Lorien. Legolas, on the other hand, had not fared well at all at the hands of Men, or children, as his captors were. He was bound tightly at the wrists, and was gagged. Theodwyn, Rowan, and Elanorallie were surrounding him, with Eldarion and Elfwine acting as ambassadors. The children got over their surprise first.

     “Your highnesses,” Eldarion began in a loud voice, bowing to the fathers, “We have come to seek your aid in winning back our friend, the Ernil I Pheriannath, Prince Faramir Took, who has been unjustly taken prisoner.”

     “I’m not a prince,” Faramir whispered to Haldir. “I don’t know why they keep calling me one.”

     “Well, I’ve learned that when you’re given a title, it’s best to accept it, if it’s a good one,” Haldir murmured in response.

      Faramir nodded, and they turned their attention to Elladan, who had taken over the situation. Elrohir, seeing as he had a daughter in the Fellowship of the Green Dragon, had wisely decided to stay out of the general conflict after seeing King Thranduil, and stood further back in the line.

      “King Elessar,” Elladan said, “We have only taken the hobbit captive to ensure that we would get Prince Legolas back. These children have been stalking Legolas in a most unsightly way. They have gone so far as to hunt him and capture him, as though he were a wild animal of rare beauty, to be held in captivity.”

      If any of the fathers snickered at this statement, the two parties ignored it. Eomer, however, walked with a slight limp for several days afterward, a result of Faramir, the Lord Steward, stepping on his foot swiftly, and with much force.

       “What would you have me do, my lords and ladies?” Aragorn asked. “It seems you all have a cause for grief. Perhaps my fellow royals have an idea?”

    Aragorn glanced over at the others, who were all struggling to treat this like a normal complaint. Pippin, who seemed completely unconcerned with the situation, spoke first.

     “They ought to have a battle, my lord,” he said. “To see who gets their friend back first.”

     Aragorn glanced back at the two lines of complainants, and saw that the Elves were getting almost evil smiles on their fair faces. He hastily looked back at Pippin.

     “A battle of what, Peregrin?” he asked.

     “Oh, anything,” Pippin said easily. “Make it an eating contest.”

     “A horse race!” called a female voice, and every head in the hall turned towards the rows of pillars that lined the walls. No one could be seen, but neither Aragorn nor Faramir had any doubts as to who was standing behind the pillars. It could only be the Thain’s lady, the princess of Ithilien, and the Evenstar of Gondor. The Steward and the King exchanged an exasperated glance. Was the whole of Gondor in on this madness?

      “I second the idea of a horse race, my lord,” Eomer said, completely straight faced. “I know that we have at least two very good riders among the children.”

     “Yes, it seems a good idea,” Thranduil agreed. “What say you, my lord Steward?”

     Faramir, completely convinced now that his liege-lord was quite mad, could only nod. If they were going to play along with the children, so would he. He just couldn’t believe that the Elves, of all creatures, had gotten into it. “Yes, it’s a fine idea. But may I suggest making it a series of contests, instead of just one. Three, perhaps, and the team that wins the most times is the team who surrenders their prisoner.”

     The fathers looked back at the two groups expectantly. “Well?” Aragorn asked. “Does that sound fair to you?”

      “Aye, my lord,” Elladan said, bowing.

      “Yes, your majesty,” agreed Eldarion.

       “All right. You have my leave to go prepare now. You meet at the gates of the City at dawn tomorrow,” Aragorn said.

       The groups nodded, bowed again, and left the hall. As soon as the doors had shut behind them, the monarchs all dropped their facades and laughed, long and loud, save Faramir, who looked rather confused.

     “Why are we encouraging them, if I may ask?” he said. “Shouldn’t we put a stop to this madness?”

     “Ah, they are children,” Thranduil replied. “It will give them something to do. And the Elves are great lovers of mischief during peaceful times,” he added, anticipating Faramir’s next question.

    Faramir just nodded. Mischief was an understatement.

*****

    Behind the pillars, where they had been largely forgotten by the men, stood the ladies. Eowyn, Arwen, and Diamond were quite interested in the turn that their children’s game had taken, and more than a little amused. They had quite shamelessly used the back entrance to the hall to eavesdrop on the council.

      Queen Arwen leaned gracefully backed against one of the pillars. “My brothers have stuck their oar into the matter,” she said. “I believe that it is high time we join in this escapade. It is hardly little anymore.”

     Eowyn laughed softly. “From the way that they solved the problem, all of Gondor and Rohan will be a part of it, by the end.”

    “What do you propose we do, then?” asked Diamond, a Tookish grin on her face.

   Arwen smiled, and beckoned them closer. “I have a plan.”

TBC

     





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List