Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

Thanks to everyone for being so understanding and thanks for the reviews

Ch 15

As Elrond spoke, Glorfindel inched his way to the end of the log. Without even turning his head, Elrond said, “You are not leaving us, are you?”

Glorfindel stared at his friend. How did he know?

Elladan laughed at the look on his friend’s face. “Mellon nin, he has raised three sons. He has eyes in the back of his head, I believe.”

The four, lying on boughs of fragrant pine, laughed at the comment.

“Please continue your story, Ada,” pleaded Estel.

“Very well, as long as Glorfindel stays put.” Glorfindel let out a long-suffering sigh.

******************************************************************

As Elrond was working the scent into the soap, he saw Glorfindel coming towards him. He hailed the blond elf. “How was the hunting, mellon nin?”

“We were able to bring down enough deer for the feast. We will not go hungry.” Glorfindel laughed as he spoke. “What are you doing?”

“Gil-galad needs some soap, so I am making him some. Were you able to find the herbs I needed?”

“Aye, although I do not see what you need with an herb that removes hair. That one escapes me,” said Glorfindel.

“It is used for head injuries. It is better than trying to shave around the wound. Just make a salve, gently rub it around the wound, and the hair is removed without pain.” Elrond started to lecture, but suddenly stopped when he realized whom he was speaking.

Glorfindel, however, merely laughed at his friend.

Suddenly, there was a commotion from the center of the building. Elrond could see Gil-galad waving frantically at him. He and Glorfindel grabbed herbs and bandages and went to see how they could be of service.

As they approached, they saw that one of the beams had split and fallen onto one of the workers below, striking his head. There was quite a bit of blood, which was to be expected from a head wound.

Elrond checked the elf’s eyes; glad to see both pupils were reacting equally. He sighed with relief. There was no concussion, but there was a nasty gash to be cleaned and stitched.

“Glorfindel, I’ll need some of that salve I just made. Would you please hand it to me?” Elrond received the requested salve from his friend.

Glorfindel watched with curiosity as the salve was applied. He noticed it was only put around the wound. He then could see that where it was applied, the hair was swiftly and painlessly removed as Elrond washed it with a clean cloth.

“Will it grow back, Hir nin?” asked the elf, hesitantly.

“Aye, very quickly.” Elrond was gathering the supplies as he spoke. Glorfindel took the pouches of herbs as they made their way back to the tent.

Gil-galad met them at the tent. “Is my soap ready yet? I realize you were busy, but I thought perhaps I would save you an unnecessary trip,” he said.

“It will be ready very shortly. I have only one ingredient to add, and I am finished. Would you care to wait?” asked Elrond.

Gil-galad laughed and said “Nay, I will wait until you bring it.”

Elrond bowed with a smile as the High King left.

Glorfindel helped as the herbs were restored to their respective pouches. Neither noticed that the herb that Elrond had used earlier was stuck between two other herbs.

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List