Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

Before Gil-galad could start his tale, Elrond asked “Why did you summon us here? I do not believe it was only to spin tales of our younger selves.”

Glorfindel nodded his head. “There must have been a reason, and I would like to know what it is.”

Gil-galad nodded slowly, much to the dismay of the four younger beings. “You are correct. I have much to say, and only a limited time.”

He turned to where Legolas and Estel were standing. “I am sure you will be told the story when all is finished.” Turning back to Elrond, he said, “Am I correct in this, Hir Elrond?”

Elrond nodded, somewhat reluctantly. “Very well, I hear and obey.”

“Diola lle, Elrond. Now, I will get down to the reason for the summons. We are not in the world, as you would know it. We are outside of time and space.”

All listened attentively. Estel and Legolas stood with Elladan and Elrohir, while Elrond and Glorfindel stood behind, guarding them.

Gil-galad continued to speak. “I have need of your swords and your strength. I hope you will stand with me, but I cannot, and will not, order you to do so. You may leave, if it is your wish, and I will not think less of any of you. Will you say me Aye?” He stood; waiting for a response, hope in his eyes.

Six voices replied in unison “Aye.” Elrond and Glorfindel went to stand with the four friends.

Gil-galad bent his head in wordless thanks. He then spoke. “I am glad to have you all with me. I will tell the purpose of your summons. There is an evil here that cannot be vanquished without help from all of you. I have two more companions that will stand with us.” With that, two shimmering columns of light sprang up, then coalesced into two beings.

Elrond and Glorfindel stared at the first, hardly believing what they saw. Finally, Elrond found his voice. “Elros!” he exclaimed, with tears in his eyes. He went to his brother, and they embraced. “It has been long, muindor, and will longer yet ere we see each other in Valinor. For now, however, be at peace. We stand side by side for our king,” said Elros as Elrond stood back, still clasping his brother’s arm.

The second being then spoke. “Have you nothing to say to me sons of Elrond?” he said in a teasing voice. Elladan and Elrohir stared, then said in unison “Arathorn!” Arathorn smiled.

He then looked at Aragorn. “My son, I am proud of what you have become. You have many trials ahead, as well as sorrows. I know you will become stronger and better for them.” He pulled Aragorn into an embrace. Aragorn’s heart was filled to overflowing. He hugged his father back.

“I promise, father,” was all he could say, releasing the older man. Arathorn then went to Elladan and Elrohir and hugged them as well. He then turned to Elrond, and with a smile, said, “I am most pleased. I cannot thank you enough for raising my son to be the person he is now, and will be.”

Elrond smiled back and said, “He has ever been a joy to me.”

With that, all turned to Gil-galad. “Now that all are here, I will begin. It is a grim and terrible tale that I tell.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List