Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Singing Cave  by frodo16424

 

Night was sheltering Imladris under its wing with a peaceful calm. It would hours before Anar would be showing her face. For now, Idril showered the land with her silver rays. Elendil shone down on Rivendell.

Both Legolas and Estel were restless, unable to sleep. Finally, the two friends arose from their beds, and met in the hall. Without a word, they turned and went down the steps to the stables. They saddled their horses, then rode out after notifying the guards of their departure.

They rode in companionable silence, enjoying the night and the freedom of being alive. They listened to the serenade of the night. Somewhere, nestlings were settling under the wings of their mother, while vixens taught their kits to hunt.

There were whispers in the wind, of lives, loves and yes, death. For such was the nature of living things.

“Mellon nin, let us set up camp here. There is water, wood for a fire, and shelter,” said Legolas, quietly.

Estel smiled, and just as quietly agreed. They dismounted, and took the packs from the horses. They then let their mounts graze in the small glade.

“I do not believe we need to stand watch tonight. Nothing will harm us here. I feel protected, somehow.” Legolas turned to Estel as he spoke.

“I have the same feeling. It is as though we are being watched by unseen friends,” replied Estel.

The two then slipped into a peaceful, dreamless sleep, for there was peace.

Idril gave way to Anar. Golden rays penetrated the small glade, and illuminated the two figures as they slept. Immortal and mortal. Friends. Not alike in outward appearances, yet brothers in their hearts and in their minds.

Legolas awoke, and noticing Estel still asleep, took a small pot and went to the brook for water. Upon returning, he stirred the fire back to life, and set the pot on the fire. As the tea was brewing, Legolas set about making a quick breakfast for the two of them.

Estel awoke as Legolas took the food off the fire.

“Quel amrun, mellon nin, malia ten’ vasa?” Legolas asked Estel.

Estel smiled, and replied “Diola lle.”

After eating, the two let their horses roam and walked through the woods, talking about everything and nothing.

Suddenly, they noticed a curtain of flowers on the left. They stood there, debating whether or not to see what was behind it.

They could smell a sweet scent as they drew near. Legolas drew back the curtain, while Estel warily kept watch.

Behind was a cave. As their eyes adjusted to the interior, they noticed the floor was covered by fine white sand. There were no footsteps, just a smooth sandy covering.

As they entered, they noticed the walls were of a crystalline structure.

Legolas re-entered the cave with two lit torches. “Mayhap this will help shed some light,” he told Estel.

They decided to explore the rest of the cave. As they proceeded into the interior, they noticed the same fine white sand on the floor. There must be an opening further back, as they could feel a warm breeze fan their faces. Although neither was completely fond of caves, this one was…different. Their torches cascaded down the walls like liquid rainbows, coalescing in pools of light near the floor.

Legolas and Estel entered a vast chamber. They stood, awed, as they surveyed the scene. The torches were not needed, as light shone from the walls and ceiling. It was a warm golden light. As they stood there, they could hear the murmur of what appeared to be voices raised in song.

They searched for the source of the sound, but saw no one. Legolas realized the sound actually came from the walls. He could almost make out words, but when he focused his attention on the song, it diminished. He could only hear it when he did not force himself to hear.

Estel, meantime, was running his hands across the walls, trying to see where the illumination came from. Like Legolas, he noticed he could hear the song only if he did not force himself to hear.

The two friends stood there, letting the sound wash over them. It was refreshing as a spring shower, and as warm as Anar at noon. Reluctantly, they resumed their exploration.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List