Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Taken  by Iorhael

He flinched violently as a noise came to him from what he thought was the door to the cell. Frodo was shaking now. They had returned! They had come back to take him or to torture him further! He listened to the screeching sound of the big metal door being yanked open with mounting terror. He wanted to scream out his trepidation but he could only let out a strangled sob. Frodo jerked against his bonds and got completely, totally, frozen when an oddly smooth hand caught his chin, strangely gently. Frodo knew he had been weeping ever since he heard the first sound from the door and fear engulfed him. But only now did he taste the saltiness of his tears as his blindfold was removed– also with the same tenderness – and tears flowed freely onto his lips and seeped into his mouth as the gag, too, came away. Frodo's eyes grew wide as he gaped at the figure looming above him. He moaned a little as a hoarse voice he hardly recognized emerged from his sore throat to articulate his bewildered thoughts.

"Gandalf?"

Chapter 20 – Into the Light

~ In Rivendell ~

Thrice Merry and Pippin stood aghast as people stormed out of the room. First had been Frodo, then Gandalf and finally Sam. Unsure of what they should do about it and wondering if they should do the same, the two cousins ended up staying in the room. They came to an unspoken agreement that Gandalf and Sam would be able to deal with Frodo in his confused state.

Merry stared helplessly at Pippin, and realizing that Pippin was trying to draw strength from him, deliberately changed his expression. Pippin could see terror in the eyes of another, young as he was. He should not be witnessing all of this. He should have stayed at home, safe in the embrace of his family and should be enjoying the light – hearted company of other lads his age. He should not be standing here in Rivendell, far from the comfort of home. No matter how grand and wonderful the Last Homely House was, it was not grand or wonderful enough to hide the torment of those within.

Merry wept inwardly at the sight of Pippin in his disheveled state. His clothing was torn and soiled, his face ashen and tears stood in his eyes. Merry closed the gap between them and wrapped his arms around Pippin’s shoulders. The dam finally broke and Pippin’s tears flowed freely. Merry ignored the dampness seeping into his shirt and continued rubbing Pippin’s back as wracking sobs shook the young hobbit.

“Should we – should we go find him too, Merry?” he asked in a small voice.

The older hobbit shook his head.

“I think not, Pip. We’ll just be in the way should Frodo’s condition worsen.”

“What do we do then?”

Merry gazed around the room.

“I thing we can start by cleaning up here. Frodo will need more rest when he comes back, and a fresh room will soothe him.”

Merry did not know that he could ask assistance of some of elf maidens. It never occurred to him to do such a thing. When he appeared carrying the dirty sheets and asking for replacements, the elves who were present immediately insisted upon doing the cleaning. Merry objected at first, but finally relented when it was agreed that he and Pippin could also give their aid.

In a short while, they had transformed Frodo’s room into a glowing and inviting chamber. The soft mattress was covered by a pearly white sheet, the marble floor sparkled, and the air carried the scent of roses. Merry and Pippin bowed deeply to the elves as they departed, promising to aid the hobbits with anything else they might need.

As the elves disappeared from his sight, Merry nodded in satisfaction as he patted the soft clean sheet on Frodo’s bed. “Frodo is going to rest comfortably here, Pip,” he said solemnly. “There’ll be no more nightmares.” Beside him, Pippin was standing, gazing from the bed to Merry’s eyes. His lips trembled and was unable to speak. He slowly turned away toward the open window and a tear ran down his cheek.

A quiet sound from the doorway broke the ominous silence in the room. Merry and Pippin turned as one from their thoughts and hurried to welcome Gandalf as he entered. A limp figure lay in the wizard’s arms, head lolling back to reveal ashen, nearly lifeless features. Sam followed Gandalf into the room, tears streaking his face. Merry and Pippin felt their hearts sink at the sight.

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Gandalf had been considering as he carried Frodo back to the hobbits’ quarters. He, with his ring, Narya, might help Frodo somewhat, but they could not reunite the hobbit’s spirit in Mordor with his body there in Rivendell. Gandalf needed more, much more help from Elrond, who had in his possession the greatest of the Three Rings of the Elves, Vilya.

As he returned from the garden, Gandalf had asked one of the elf maids to summon Elrond to Frodo’s chamber. Now the wizard needed to speak with Frodo. He glanced at Merry and Pippin as he lowered the unconscious hobbit down to the bed.

“Fine work, little ones,” Gandalf said, eyeing the clean sheets and reassuring the dejected halflings with his smile. “Frodo surely appreciates all that you’ve done, whether he can say it or not.” Pippin sidled closer, his hands trembling as he tried to straighten the coverlet over Frodo’s body. His lips quivered as words failed him.

Gandalf placed his hand on Pippin’s shoulder. “I will give my best effort to return Frodo to you safe and whole.” He looked up as light footfalls approached. Elrond. Gandalf again regarded Merry and Pippin.

“I apologize, young friends, but you must leave Frodo to our care now. I will need Sam to remain, for a while, but he will join you outside soon. You trust me, do you not?”

Gandalf’s gray eyes bored into Merry’s, and he wanted to lose himself in the safety he saw there. He and Pippin both nodded automatically. Pippin reached for Gandalf’s hand and squeezed it. He and Merry then left the room as Elrond gazed after them with a sad smile. He, too, was deeply concerned with Frodo’s condition and wondered what Gandalf had in mind.

“My friend?” Elrond regarded Gandalf expectantly once the hobbits were out of the room. Gandalf raised his hand.

“A moment, mellon nin,” he said, turning to Sam who still waited by Frodo’s bedside. “Samwise, I wish you to place your trust in me as your companions have.” Sam looked at Gandalf with a mixture of curiosity and trepidation. The wizard continued, “I need to use the Ring, just this one time. Will you allow me?”

Sam’s face flushed. “It isn’t mine to lend, Mr. Gandalf. I’m just carrying it right now because…because…” Images of Frodo’s angry response when Strider had bidden him to take the Ring flashed through Sam’s mind.

“I understand, young hobbit,” Gandalf prodded gently, extending his hand. Sam reluctantly placed the Ring in the wizard’s palm. “Now you must join the others. Lord Elrond and I will help your master.”

~*~ ~*~ ~*~

Gandalf could sense Elrond’s hesitation regarding his plan.

“Do you not think this will draw further rage from Sauron?” Elrond objected. “He will surely torture Frodo more. Gandalf, I’ve no wish to see him suffer again. He will not survive.”

Gandalf bent over Frodo, brushing soft curls off the hobbit’s forehead.

“He must be free from Sauron’s clutches, once and for all,” the wizard muttered. He turned to the elven lord. “Now I must talk with Frodo.”

Gandalf realized he could not speak with Frodo in the usual manner of mortals. Sauron would surely know. He must speak to Frodo silently, mind to mind.

The grey wizard lay his hand on Frodo’s brow. Warmth still radiated from the halfling’s skin, a result of Gandalf’s earlier ministrations. The wizard closed his eyes in concentration and began to utter a spell.

There was little resistance from Frodo and in moments Gandalf stood in the void where Frodo’s consciousness still lingered. It was dark and quiet.

“Frodo!” Gandalf called loudly, then again more softly. There was still no response.

“Frodo!” The wizard shouted into the darkness. Gandalf felt a gust of cold air and beneath his hand sensed a small shiver. Had Frodo been hiding from him, mistaking him for Sauron?

“Little one, it is I, Gandalf. Can you hear me? You must believe that I am your friend, Bilbo’s friend.” Gandalf could feel Frodo wavering uncertainly.

“Bilbo? Gandalf?” At last, a soft reply in the murky darkness. Gandalf almost wept with relief. In his pain and confusion, Frodo must have been frightened that Sauron would also be able to touch his mind. Not the mind of the ethereal Frodo held captive in the tower, but that of the corporeal Frodo. Gandalf could only hope that Sauron could not.

“Yes, I am here, Frodo dear. I am here to help.” Gandalf caressed Frodo’s forehead to calm him. “There is little time. I must tell you first that I am going to use the Ring. You may not truly need to know this, but I wish you to know it.” Gandalf felt Frodo tense.

”I want to get to your other half, to find out where Sauron holds him. It will be easier for all of us if we know this prior to any attempt to make you one again.”

There was a break in the blackness and Frodo stepped tentatively toward Gandalf. “I have to go there too, don’t I, Gandalf? Can I do that?” Frodo’s voice was small and quivering, but there was also determination in it.

Gandalf took Frodo’s hand in his. “Have courage, Frodo. This is the only way.”

“So be it.”

Gandalf kissed Frodo’s forehead, and drew his hand away. He turned to Lord Elrond, who had been observing silently, and reached for the elf’s hand. Elrond knew what he had to do and what Gandalf wanted of him. He gave the wizard his right hand, bearing a great blue stone set in a gold band encircling his finger. Gandalf took the hand, kissed the ring and rose from his chair.

Standing face to face with the elven lord, Gandalf opened his left hand, revealing a heavy gold ring resting against his palm. The One Ring. It felt hot against his skin, but Gandalf held it nonetheless. He sighed heavily.

“I have you in my hands, mellon nin,” Elrond encouraged with a smile, gripping the wizard’s upper arms. “Vilya shall protect you. Sauron will not feel your presence.” Gandalf nodded, closing his eyes. He opened them again and gazed deeply into Elrond’s. He raised his hands and with great determination, slipped the One Ring onto his finger. Gandalf could feel Elrond’s hands tighten on his arms before everything became a blur and he vanished from sight.

TBC

AN: I really don’t want to do this – vanishing from sight for so long. But things keep coming in between and sometimes you just don’t know what to write. The process of writing is not always smooth. So I would like to ask for apology from any of you, and for those who keep reading, I would like to extend my greatest gratitude.

My thanks also to MBradford and Emma without whom this fic would never exist.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List