Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

One Life  by frodo16424

Ch 2 Wishes

Elrohir stomped off, muttering to himself. It had not been a good week. It seemed everything he turned his hand to had turned against him. Not only inanimate objects, but the breathing, living beings as well. He knew he was acting like an elfling, but he could not seem to stop himself.

He was glad that his father had not heard the dwarven curse he had uttered earlier. His cheeks burned with embarrassment as he remembered Estel looking at him. He knew his human brother had heard him. He was surprised that no one remarked on it.

He went quietly into the stables and led his horse out onto the path leading out across the borders of Rivendell. No one saw him depart, and he felt no one cared.

He rode for some time, not caring where he was headed. “I’ll let you decide. I care not where we go,” he told his steed. The horse just tossed his head, and stepped lightly through the forest.

Suddenly, the sounds of a waterfall were heard. That seemed as good a place to stop as any. He led his mount there, then slid off the horse.

The sunlight filtered through the spray, throwing rainbows onto the white rocks that formed the steps for the cascading water.

He could see the blue sky, with the white of the waterfall and the green of the willows glowing against it. It was so beautiful it hurt. He threw himself down on the grass.

He lay there, the events of the past week running and rerunning through his mind.

He started to speak out loud. “Sometimes I wish I had never been born. Everyone would be much happier without me. What difference would it make if I had never been born.”

As he quit speaking, he could almost hear a voice whisper in his mind. “Watch what you wish for Elrondion. It might come true.” Elrohir leapt to his feet, looking for the owner of the voice.

He searched, but found no one. He turned back to the waterfall, only to see a figure sitting on the rocks. It was hooded and cloaked, hiding its face inside the hood.

“W..W..Who are you?” he stammered. He saw the figure rise and walk across the rocks towards him.

“My name matters not, pen nith. Your words have been heard. Take my hand, and walk with me. Do not be afraid. No harm will befall you. I believe you will be surprised by what you will see.” As the being spoke, it held out a hand for Elrohir to grasp.

Elrohir did as he was bade, not certain about the being. He did not see anything to alarm him, and was curious as to what was going to happen.

As he took the stranger’s hand, he noticed it was somewhat calloused, as though the being used a sword. The hand was firm, neither old nor young. He could see that the cloak and hood were of a brown material, with a broach in the shape of a bird clasping the cloak at the throat. As they started to walk, a wind started blowing as though a storm was brewing.

“Fear not, it does not concern us.” As the being stretched out his arm, quiet descended. They started again. Elrohir waited for the being to speak. When the being said nothing, Elrohir asked, “Where are we going?”

He was told, “You will see shortly. Patience.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List