Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The hunt  by frodo16424

Little Estel story. Estel is five years old.

The hunt

“Estel! Are you dressed yet?” The shout could be heard throughout the halls of The Last Homely House. Elladan and Elrohir ran through the halls to their younger brother’s room.

Elrond, returning to his study from the dining hall, shook his head. “Elladan, Elrohir, how many times must I tell you? NO RUNNING IN THE HALLS! How am I to expect Estel to walk if you do not set the example?”

Elladan stopped, and said “Sorry, Ada, we will stop running.” Just as he finished speaking, his twin came running, then stopped and slid into Estel’s room. “Sorry, Ada,” Elrohir said as he disappeared into the room.

Elrond pinched the bridge of his nose. He could feel a headache starting. “Why me, Illuvator?” he whispered, not really expecting an answer.

As he entered his study, he saw Glorfindel standing at the window. “Orcs, oliphaunts, or trolls?” asked the seneschal, laughing.

“All three, I believe,” was the exasperated answer.

“What is the hurry? They have trying to get Estel to get dressed all morning.”

Elrond answered with a smile, “I know. Elladan and Elrohir are taking Estel outside the boundaries of Rivendell for a ride. Why he is not dressed I do not understand, but I am sure the twins will have him dressed and ready to leave shortly. Perhaps then we will have peace and quiet.”

In the meantime, Estel was trying to give himself a quick bath, then dress. He had his tunic and breeches on. He was brushing his hair when Elrohir entered. “Are you about ready, Estel? We are waiting for you to have breakfast with us,” said the elf, with a smile.

“Almost ready, El’hir. I just have to button this, and get my boots and socks on. I am so hungry!” said Estel, trying to button his tunic while looking for his boots.

“I will take you down, then you can come back and get your socks.” Suiting his actions to his words, the young elf picked the giggling boy and carried him down to the dining hall.

Elladan was there ahead of them. “Where are your socks and boots?” he asked.

“In my room,” replied Estel. “El’hir brought me down so I could eat. I will get them when I am done.”

Breakfast finished, Elrohir took Estel back to his room to finish dressing.

Elrohir turned from the closet with Estel’s cloak. He noticed his foster brother was looking in the bottom drawer of the cupboard. He watched, puzzled, as Estel pulled out blankets, then returned them to the drawer. Finally, he could contain his curiosity no longer.

“Estel, what are you doing?” he asked.

Estel looked at him and said, “I’m looking for my socks, of course.”

“Of course,” echoed Elrohir, “but, are they not in the top drawer?”

Estel looked at his brother with as much disdain as the five year old could muster. “Yes, they are.”

By now, Elrohir was completely confused. “If your socks are in the top drawer, then why are you looking in the bottom drawer?”

‘Because,” came the answer, “it’s easier for me to look in the bottom drawer.”

Elrohir thought perhaps it would be wiser, and quicker, to just get the socks for Estel.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List