Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Namaarie, Mellon nin  by frodo16424

The poem is Eulogy for a Hero, by Mary E. Fryer

Namaarie, Mellon-nin

 

Do not stand at my grave and weep,

I am not there, I do not sleep.

Legolas stood looking at the three stones, especially the middle one. It was quiet here, and he was able to read the inscription. Elessar, Aragorn, Son of Arathorn. There were other names - Estel, Telcontar, Strider that were not on the stone.. Most important, friend, brother, comrade-in-arms. Tears fell from the elf’s eyes.

It had been so long since the day Aragorn had passed. Now, it was time for Legolas to seek the sea. He wanted to say good-bye to his friend.

I am a thousand winds that blow.

I am the diamond glints on snow.

As he stood there, a playful breeze ruffled his hair, almost as if someone had run their fingers through it.

I am the sunlight on ripened grain.

I am the gentle autumn rain.

Suddenly, it started to gently rain, the raindrops mixing with his tears. It seemed right, as though the earth itself was mourning with him.

When you awaken in the mornings hush

I am the swift uplifting rush

Of quiet birds in circled flight

He could hear the birds singing, taking wing as they circled the grove. As one, they mounted to the sky, still quietly singing their song. He closed his eyes and let the wind blow.

I am the soft stars that shine at night.

Do not stand at my grave and cry,

I am not there, I did not die.

The stars came out, shining in all their glory. Legolas felt as if someone had taken hold of his hand. As he opened his eyes, he realized Aragorn would never be truly dead. As long as he kept his memory, Estel would always live. As he turned to go, he realized he was holding something in his hand. He looked down to see a broach for a cloak, with the Tree of Gondor, surrounded by seven stars. He looked at it wonderingly, and then smiled. He knew they would again be together. He turned and left the grove. He was at peace.





        

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List