Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Departure of Samwise  by Leah Beth

March 25, 1483 (by Shire reckoning)
The Undertowers, Tower Hills, Westmarch, the Shire

To my Lord Elessar:

I thank you for you and the Lady Arwen's condolences after my father's death last autumn. My children and grandchildren truly appreciated them as well. I thank you also for keeping secret the truth of my father's death. I know it is not right to deceive my siblings like I am, but I am just trying to spare them the grief that accompanies the death of a parent. They are grieved enough, only knowing that Father left Middle-earth. I could not add to their pain.

I would also like to thank you for the invitation to visit Minas Tirith for the annual celebrations, but your letter arrived only just yesterday, and there was no possible way that my husband and I could have gotten to the city for the festivals. However, if the invitation is still open, I would very much like to visit the city this autumn with my husband and maybe our youngest daughter.

I must apologize for the length of this letter, but I must go now and finish preparations for my family's trip to Hobbiton. My niece, who just came of age earlier this year, is to be wed in one week's time, and I must be there to help with the preparations. Farewell, my Lord, and good health to you and yours.

Sincerely,
Elanor Gamgee-Fairbairn


The End

Author's Notes: This story was spawned from reading the appendices in The Return of the King one too many times. I was always saddened by the entry in the Later Events Concerning the Members of the Fellowship for the year 1482, so I decided to make it so that things in that year happened my way, while trying to keep it book-canon.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List