Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Departure of Samwise  by Leah Beth

Disclaimer:All characters, names, and places belong to Tolkien Enterprises. I am making no money from writing this story. It is purely for entertainment purposes.

*.*.*.*.*

September 28, 1482 (by Shire reckoning)
The Undertowers, Tower Hills, Westmarch, the Shire

To my Lord Elessar:

I fear that it is my unwelcome duty to inform you of the passing from this world of my mother, Rose Gamgee, and also of my father's growing restlessness and failing health. On the twenty-second of this month, my father ceded Bag End to my brother, Frodo, and left Hobbiton, seemingly forever.

Even though my father is not of Elvish descent, I fear that the Sea-longing is upon him. For as long as I can remember, he has always looked to the West with longing in his eyes. He has longed to be united with his Mister Frodo for all of these long years, since the day Mister Frodo stepped upon his ship to the West. Even though I know that my father loved my mother, his children, and the Shire, I know also that he regretted not leaving Middle-earth with Mister Frodo.

Just yesterday, my father arrived here, unannounced. Do not misunderstand me; my father is always welcome in my home, but his coming was surprising, though not wholly unexpected. Fastred and I had been expecting him to come sometime soon, though we had not guessed the exact date.

My father is on his way to the Grey Havens, to leave Middle-earth forever and be reunited with his Mister Frodo. I fear, however, that his strength will not last long enough to finish his journey. Since my mother's death on Mid-year's Day, my father's health has begun to fail him. Even now, he is lying abed, unable to stand of his own accord. My father is old, my Lord. I do not think he will ever be reunited with Mister Frodo in the lands of the living. I fear that his sick bed will soon become his death bed.

I hold no illusions that you will travel to see my father again before his departure, whichever way he leaves us. I just wish to inform you of these events so that you will not be surprised if this news reaches you through other means.

I thank you for your time, my Lord. I bid good health to you and yours.

Sincerely,
Elanor Gamgee-Fairbairn





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List