Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

The Grief and Guilt of a Ringbearer  by Cantora Eledhwen

Chapter Three

-The Guilt of One Small-

Pippin was miserable. He glanced over at Frodo, but that only made it worse. His cousin had no comfort for him this time; Frodo needed consoling himself.

Why had he bothered that arrow? Why could he not seem to think before he did something? Why was he always so foolish? Pippin snuffled a bit before he could stop himself.

“Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time and rid us of your stupidity!” Gandalf had said, snatching back his hat and staff.

‘I am sorry, Gandalf.’


Until now Boromir had not understood fully the relationship between Mithrandir and the halflings. He had noticed, of course, the comfortable way that they joked or bantered with each other; a way in which Boromir never would have dared deal with the wizard. But now… now he saw the love the hobbits had for him and he imagined how much Mithrandir must have cared for them in return.

Young Peregrin especially seemed devastated. The little one still cried occasionally, though he obviously did not want to show the others his grief. The Ringbearer, too, seemed full of pain, and with good reason: he had known Gandalf best out of the hobbits. But Pippin… he was so young!

Boromir shortened his strides and fell into step beside Peregrin, who was walking apart from the others. He ruffled his curls a bit, but did not get the hoped-for smile.

“You walk as with a great burden, little one. Will you tell me what is the matter?” Boromir asked gently. Pippin was silent for a moment.

“Gandalf…” he said reluctantly. Boromir waited. “Gandalf, he… I… if I hadn’t touched anything then the goblins would not have come, and… and then the monster wouldn’t have come and Gandalf would still be here walking with us and laughing when I said how much my feet hurt and how hungry I am… but he’s not, Boromir, and it’s all my fault!” This came out in a rush. Pippin’s voice had been rising in pitch and by the end he was practically in tears. The others were pretending not to notice, though Meriadoc looked as if he could barely restrain himself from running to comfort his younger cousin.

“Peregrin,” Boromir began, shocked to think that this young one was carrying such a weight. “You did not know the dwarf would fall. Had you known, you would not have bothered it. Gandalf knew that.” Pippin just began to cry, though Boromir could see he was ashamed of himself. ‘He need not be,’ he thought. ‘He has been through so much…’ Boromir caught Aragorn’s eye and signaled for the company to stop.

“Let’s have one more rest before we reach Lorien, but only for a moment.” Aragorn announced to the Fellowship. They all dispersed into groups and the other hobbits collapsed wearily on the ground, leaving Boromir and Pippin to themselves. Boromir sat down and pulled Pippin onto his lap.

“There, there, little one,” he soothed. “It is not your fault and you must not think such things.” Pippin looked up at him doubtfully, but his crying was reduced to occasional sobs. “It was impossible that we could have passed through Moria unnoticed, something else would have alerted the orcs to our presence even if that had not.” Boromir continued. Peregrin still looked doubtful.

“But… Gandalf--”

“Gandalf knew that as well. He held no grudge against you, Peregrin, you may be assured of that.” Boromir said with finality. Pippin still looked wretched, but some of the pain was gone from his eyes.

“Thank you, Boromir. I don’t know what I’d do without you.” Pippin said, snuggling into his chest. Boromir was surprised at this show of affection, and he was even more shocked to realize how close these small hobbits were to his heart, especially this one. He loved him as he would his own son.

“And I don’t know where this Fellowship would be without you, Peregrin Took.” Boromir said solemnly. Pippin looked up.

“Really?” Boromir nodded. “Boromir, do you think you could talk to Frodo, too?” Pippin asked. Boromir shifted uncomfortably. Talk to the Ringbearer… “He seems even more sad than I am.” Pippin finished. Boromir sighed but said,

“Of course, little one.” Just then Aragorn walked up and Boromir once again felt uncomfortable in his position. Peregrin wasn’t a child, after all.

“Boromir, Pippin, it’s time to go. We will not stop again until we’ve reached Lorien.” Aragorn said, and he walked off to tell the others. The pair rose. Suddenly, Boromir had a thought. Child or no…

“Pippin, didn’t you say your feet hurt?” he asked.

“Well… yes.” Pippin said, embarrassed he had let that slip.

“Well, I can fix that.” Boromir said mischievously and with a roar he swept Pippin up and set him on his shoulders. Pippin burst into a fit of giggles.

“Boromir!” he cried. Boromir laughed, pleased he had made Pippin forget his sadness for a moment.

He smiled to himself as he realized he would do anything for his little one.


~TBC~


Hmm… perhaps I should make this into a vignette all its very own, what do you think? It’s LONGER than the others! Yey! My muse changed her ways… at least for now.

Send reviews!!! Must know what you think! Point out errors and lines you liked and just anything! Just review it pawaleese! As our dear Elijah Wood says, “That would be lovely.” And anyway if you don’t I’m going to get Deranged Lil’ Hobbit to send over her Giant Squirrel of Mass Destruction with a loaded water gun!!! *raspberry*

 






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List