Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Stranger in a Strange Land  by Moonlighter

~*~

Stubbornness led Elros to his bed, and pride lulled him to sleep. Dreams wracked him thereafter, and anxiety urged him awake. For two hours he searched ere sunrise, first the harbor, then the kitchens and mess hall, and last the barracks. Docking mariners and supping Elves and sleeping Men he came across in these places, but nowhere his brother.

Frustration and blame had faded to worry and remorse when Elros paused for a moment of rest, glancing around him at the same pier such joy had been found the night before. Reluctant, he strove to accept the truth, undesirable as it was: Elrond had left Mithlond. "We did not even say farewell..." then he started. In the distance, upon the wind, came a song that was not from the sea.

A! Elbereth Gilthoniel!
silivren penna miriel
o menel aglar elenath,
Gilthoniel, A! Elbereth!

He ran towards the source, finding no footprints in the sand before him. Soon he approached an outcropping of craggy rocks blanched with salt and sun. Thereupon was perched a partially nude and mostly wet figure, filleting a fish as he sang.

We still remember, we who dwell
In this far land beneath the trees
The starlight on the Western Seas.

Once near, Elros applauded. Then receiving a look of disapproval, explained, "Ah – the Men do that... ‘tis a show of appreciation, congratulations."

"I know that they do it, and why," said Elrond.

"Seems you know everything of late," came the retort.

Flicking a scale off his knee, Elrond shrugged. "I know not why you came."

Yet Elros knew why his brother had come – and it had naught to do with politics. "To make amends," he replied.

"For last night?"

"For it all, if I can." At his brother’s snort, he sighed. Elrond had never consented to hear of past wrongs, much less accept apologies for them, insisting it was unnecessary, or even imagined. This matter is different, indisputable!... yet Elros could not convince himself of its urgency. "I pressed you yestereve and feared this morning to have driven you away thereby. If you will bide here a while yet, what I would still say can wait. For now, may I at least sit with you?"

In Elrond’s hands were two identical strips of meat, soft as his brother’s words had been. He knew he would-- nay could not stay as long as Elros wished, but he was loath as ever to quarrel. With a sidelong glance he said, "You are overdressed for the occasion."

The forgiveness was subtle, sincere. Elros threw away mantle and tunic as he kicked off his boots, then leapt easily beside his twin, who nodded with a smile at this reciprocation. Any such play was rare even between brothers, fleeting as their shared childhood had been.

Elros was handed a fillet as he sat. "What, no oysters?"

With a wrinkled nose, Elrond said, "You may eat those guts piled there, if such slime appeals to you."

They ate exchanging no words, but the occasional smile surfaced and was returned. Once the scraps were thrown for the seagulls to enjoy, the twain found themselves sitting closer, then half-embraced. It had been long since Elrond knew the warmth of companionship, heard the rhythm of another heart beating beside him. It had not left Elros’ mind that his brother would leave, nor wherefore.

Elrond was first to speak again. "Why did you not accept these Lords’ offers to join their favoured? Have you other plans for yourself?"

"The Valar have other plans for me, I deem. You heard them speak of rewards for the Faithful during the Great Battle, did you not?"

"I heard of pardon for the Exiles.... but what of the Elf-friends who fought on behalf of the Valar? Has their reward been revealed?"

"Not yet. But Eonwe bade me await his return, and the decree of the Valar—-" he smiled, "with a gleam in his eyes, if you understand me."

Tone even, Elrond asked, "What do you expect?"

Gazing beyond the water, Elros was thoughtful. "I expect that they know what is best. But if you would know my mind, I desire all that they could give. A Kingdom for Men is the rumour hereabouts; among that court of Lords I would rather take my place. I have loved this land, but it does not hold my heart--" Unexpectedly, a tear fell upon his shoulder. Elros needed not to look up to know its cause. "Then you will remain, and be as Elf-kind."

"And you will depart, even beyond the circles of the world."

Together the sons of Earendil sat as the morning passed them by, their sorrow shared as ever, but no longer their fate.

~*~

Elves averted their eyes as he passed; Men were simply baffled. Unable to stop, as a tear escaping unchecked, he moved fluidly and without sound. Behind him was a streak of mud where none dared cross the path he had taken, and a murmur arose, voices humming like velvet under the clamor of rain upon metal.

He strode north, leaving the encampment behind; but the storm followed, and waited ahead, and flanked beside. Alone under the bellowing thunder, Elrond showed none of the fear that he felt, even when words came unexpectedly from nearby: "Hail Earendilion, Star-child!"

The voice could have belonged to a Vala, so powerful and fair. Elrond turned to face his fate, even if it be confrontation with a wroth god. Yet it was not so, for alone stood Finarfin, rain-soaked and radiant as a gem under sea-sheen. Wordless, Elrond knelt. "We meet again, my nephew." Approaching, Finarfin rested his hand upon the slick black hair. "Rise now, and follow me."

Under an alcove in the rockface they halted, Finarfin laughing as he swiped water from the others’ cloak. "This weave will not do! Nor will the rest." Without warning he flung it off, next removing baldric then helm. Before Elrond could protest or question Finarfin said, "I came for you earlier, but Elros had found you already. I heard a good portion of your conversation as I waited outside for an appropriate time that did not come before I was required elsewhere. I know that you will not be swayed in this decision now made, but in this way I would help you as I can."

Stripped to his undergarments, Elrond grasped the hands busy with a deed he had not permitted. Again Finarfin spoke first, "Such turmoil in your eyes so young –- be assured! No animosity will result from this day. Never forget that you have the favour of the Valar, Elrond Peredhil, and your forebearers Luthien and Tuor that of Iluvatar Himself."

Looking into his eyes, alight with extinct wonders and insight beyond wisdom, Elrond could not distrust. "I thank you, lord."

His smile shone with kinship and faith. "And I welcome you, to my home and my heart, though Ages must pass until we next meet. Now hurry!" Their attention was then turned to disrobing Finarfin and donning Elrond in that gear.

The armor of Finarfin, as he explained, was of divine make, and blessed by many Powers of Arda. Hard as tortoise shells, smooth as pearls, the color of the Sea and the lifeforms therein. By evil alone, no harm could come to its bearer. Then a water skin and a traveling pack Finarfin retrieved, and his cloak of deep blue. These he gave to Elrond, presenting last of all a sword that, as a poisonous snake in the grass, was perilously subtle in its fashion.

At last they emerged; Finarfin damp but pleased, Elrond dry already but bowed under the weight of the mission before him. The rain had stopped, and now the sun broke through at noon-height, parting the clouds. Finarfin spoke in a sigh, "The time is perfect. Fare thee well."

~*~





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List