Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Captives of Darkness  by Hobbsy

Three

As the travelers route wound along the feet of the Misty Mountains and the time drew near to bid farewell to Galadriel and Celeborn Frodo found his thoughts dwelling frequently on the strange Black Elves. They should have been in Lorien for several weeks now. Had Eariin and the others found any relief from their suffering. To think of someone else’s pains helped him keep his own in perspective. He hated to think how enwrapped in his dark memories and wounds he could become and it took so much of his strength to fight these off and the self-pity he loathed. He had not been the only one damaged in the War of the Ring. Numberless others would also carry deep scars for the remainder of their lives.

Late at night during the week that they tarried within sight of the Mountains of Moria Frodo would lie awake for hours after Sam, Merry and Pippin and gone off to sleep. While they snored softly nearby Frodo lay there watching the stars in the high black sky above. The vastness of the heavens reminded him how very small he was and how little in the endless stream of time anything he had done really meant. Did it mean anything at all?

Pippin coughed and snuffled in his sleep and turned over and resumed snoring contentedly.

Yes. It meant something now. It meant his friends could return home and live happy productive lives. Some of the sorrow of the elves had been eased now that the darkness was driven back. And those who had been freed from slavery and unknown torment in Mordor had a new chance to find some joy in life. He hoped they would.

Gandalf, Elrond, Galadriel and Celeborn were, as was their wont each night, sitting beneath the trees further off in long quiet conversation. Only the faint glimmer that always surrounded them told him where they sat. Others would only see them as star-shimmer reflected on grass, leaf and bough.

Frodo arose quietly and stole nearer to the Wise Ones. For a long while he stood listening to their soft fair voices speaking of things far beyond his ken. At length Galadriel drew away from the group and glided soundlessly towards him.

As he was always in her presence, Frodo felt very shy and awed by her unsurpassed beauty and radiance. He could not look up at her.

She reached out her long, elegant hand upon which Nienna glowed and she lightly touched his chin and tipped his head upwards so that he had to meet her eyes.

“We have not often spoken since the fall of the Dark One, Ringbearer. Yet there is much I would
share with you. Much comfort I would give you if I were able. If there were more time. But my time here his ending and yours......... Perhaps it is ending as well.”

“ I wish only to return home and try to live in peace. If I can.”

“Yes.” she said, but her voice was grave and sad. “You wish to ask me something?”

“I do. I wish to ask you of the Black Elves. Will you see them when you return to Lorien?

“I shall. They need much care to regain what they have lost.”

“Look after them. I chanced to meet them... or rather one of them as they left Minas Tirith. They seemed so crushed by whatever befell them in Mordor. But they fought to hold onto their dignity... to themselves. I think that more than anyone else I feel a kinship with them that only those who have been prisoners in the Black Land can share. I... felt it. Knew it.... when Eariin spoke to me. Please help them recover the best that you can.”

“We would do so with or without your wish. But because of your request, Ringbearer, I shall personally see to their needs. And I shall seek out Eariin especially, to aid her and tell her of your concern.”

Galadriel gazed down at him.

“Perhaps you will meet her again to see for yourself if our care has been of benefit to her.”

“Will I? I would be glad to do so.”

“Watch for her.” Galadriel said with her most knowing smile.

“Rest now, Frodo. I know dark thoughts haunt you still. But there may be a future for you that you cannot possibly now foresee. A life beyond your pain. Do not give up hope.”


Galadriel’s reassurance comforted him more than any words yet spoken to him and that night he slept soundly and long for the first time in many weeks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

TBC





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List