Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Captives of Darkness  by Hobbsy


After that long night it became Frodo’s and Earenii’s custom to spend the hours of darkness treading the moonlit paths that surrounded Rivendell. Whether it was up into the hills that they ventured or down in the valley or along the waters of the Raurous mattered little. It was the companionship of their two damaged souls that brought each some solace and quieted the horrors that would otherwise fill their minds during the empty sleepless nights.

They talked softly at times but more often their time was spent in wordless wandering. Words were not needed because they each knew the pain that dwelt in the other’s heart. Just the knowing was a comfort.


One morning at dawn when Frodo entered his room he found Sam asleep on his feet at his ‘post’ over-looking the valley.

“Sam, what ever are you doing?” He said startling the drowsy worried hobbit out of half-dream.

“Oh, now, Mr. Frodo, you’ve gone and given me a turn!”

“I’m sorry, Sam. But why are you still up?”

Sam just looked down in embarrassment

But Frodo understood.

“You must stop worrying about me, Sam. It doesn’t help me and you’ll only make yourself ill staying up all night waiting for me.”

“But you’re makin’ yourself sick off wanderin’ in the dark and never sleepin’.”

“I do sleep.... when I can.”

“When do you sleep? Tell me that. When?” Sam said in his lecturing motherly tone.

“Here and there when it overtakes me.”

Frodo took off his velvet cape and tossed it over a chair.

Sam clucked and picked the rich Gondorian garment up and hung it neatly in the wardrobe.

Frodo reclined on the large soft elven bed and stretched.

“I think I might sleep now for awhile.” He said shutting his eyes.

“But it’s nearly time for breakfast. You don’t eat right either.”

“Sam, this about the only time of day or night that I do feel able to sleep at all. I thank you for your concern but if you wouldn’t mind leaving me alone for awhile......”

Sam frowned. He’d hoped Frodo would be well by the time they reached Rivendell but instead he still wasn’t eating or sleeping well and he was still too thin. And then there was all this night wandering.

“Where do you go all night alone?”

Frodo sighed and opened one eye.

“Actually I’m not alone.”

“Well now who are you with? And up to all hours like this? Not Merry or Pippin I’ll warrant. They‘re always sleepin‘ like logs by midnight.”

“Indeed not.”

“Then who?” Before the Quest Sam would never have been so forward as to question Frodo so personally. But so much had changed and he now felt Frodo was his special charge to look after under all circumstances and in any way he saw fit even if it meant being presumptuously nosy.

Frodo knew he would get no peace till he told Sam.

“I walk with Earenii.” He said simply.

“That odd elf-woman?”

“I’d appreciate you not calling her anything so unkind as ‘odd’.”

“Well she is.. mighty different.”
“Yes she is. For good reason.”

“So she’s a friend of your’s now?”

Frodo had to think how to answer this. What was Earenii to him? Friend seemed too mild a term for someone who was such a kindred soul. For someone who..... who knew. Who just simply ...knew.

“Yes... I suppose she is.”

“But Mr. Frodo, she’s so..... “

“Don’t say ‘odd’.”

“No... no... Just like maybe she wouldn’t be one to ..exactly... cheer you up.”

“Perhaps it isn’t cheering up that I need.”

“But Sir, you do. You need it more’n anyone I know.”

“Everyone has been relentlessly trying to cheer me up for months and it hasn’t done me much good now has it? Since I’ve been spending time with Earenii I’ve felt..... “ What? Less empty? Less alone? Less haunted? Was he happy? No not happy. He didn’t think that would ever be his lot again.

“What do you feel, Mr. Frodo?”

“She helps me.... and I help her. It’s almost like... Peace.”

Sam wasn’t sure what this meant or if he liked it.

“Don’t worry, Sam. I think Earenii and I are good for each other. That ought to make YOU happy. Now please go away because I do think I will sleep for awhile.”

Sam pursed his lips and thought he didn’t approve of this at all. Not till he found out a bit more about this Earenii.

“Up all night wanderin’.. “ Sam muttered as he opened the door to leave.

“Sam....” Frodo said in a warning tone as he turned on his side and closed his eyes again.. He knew quite well that Sam’s over-protective inquisition had only just begun.


TBC.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List