Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Quarantined  by shirebound

QUARANTINED

Chapter 11 --- Remember Me

S.R. 1391, April 29

 

Bilbo gently awakened Frodo for dinner, and was delighted to find that the boy was not only feeling a bit better, but was hungry enough to eat nearly everything on the tray.  Frodo was equally delighted to see that Bilbo was looking much more rested.

Frodo fell back into a light sleep after Bilbo left, but was awake a few hours later when Aragorn came into his room dressed to travel, his cloak fastened with the silver star.  The Ranger sat down on the bed next to Frodo, while Gandalf, just behind him, seated himself on one of the chairs.

“No,” Frodo pleaded, his eyes filling with tears.  “Don’t leave.”

Aragorn sighed and pulled the boy up against him.  “I must.”

“I’m sorry,” Frodo whispered.  “I’m behaving like a child.  I know you can’t stay here forever; you have important things to do.”

“Yes, I do,” agreed Aragorn.  “But meeting you was as important as anything I can think of, little one.”

“I’m not little, you stubborn Ranger,” said Frodo in exasperation, wiping away his tears.

“Ah, but you are,” replied Aragorn, pressing his large hand to Frodo’s small one.  “But the part of anyone that truly counts…” he continued, pressing his other hand to Frodo’s heart, “… is here.  Your courage is anything but little.”

“You don’t have to say that, Aragorn,” Frodo sighed.  “You know that what I saw wasn’t real.”

“But you didn’t know that, Frodo.  You believed that creature was after Bilbo --- or any Baggins.  It would have been understandable had you hid from it, or screamed for help; yet you chose to confront it in defense of one you love.  I have rarely seen such courage.”

“Thank you,” Frodo whispered.

“You have taught me much,” said Aragorn with a smile.  He settled the boy back down and tucked the quilts snugly around him.

“Will you remember me?” Frodo asked.

“Frodo Baggins,” said Aragorn softly, “you are unforgettable.”

“Will I ever see you again?”

Aragorn glanced at Bilbo, standing in the doorway, then back at Frodo.  “How about September?  Is that soon enough?”

Frodo caught his breath.  “What do you mean?”

“I’ve been talking with Bilbo, and I might be able to return to the Shire in time for your birthday,” said Aragorn.  “But until then,” he said sternly, “you must get plenty of rest, and eat well, and do everything Bilbo says.”

“I will,” said Frodo, his eyes sparkling.

Aragorn chuckled.  “I may be the first person in history to be urging a hobbit to eat well.”

Frodo grinned.  “When is your birthday, Aragorn?”

“March.”

“Oh.”  Frodo turned to the wizard.  “And when is yours?”

Gandalf laughed.  “I have never been asked such interesting questions by anyone.”  He looked at the boy fondly.  “I have no idea.”

“Then how do you know how old you are?”

The wizard got to his feet.  “Aragorn, let me remind you that this lad is a Baggins --- unquenchable and insatiable.  I believe we should leave Bag End while we still can.”

“Gandalf,” sighed Frodo.  “I have no idea what you’re talking about.”

“Frodo,” Aragorn grew serious.  “I know the value you place on a promise; I cannot promise to see you on your birthday, but I will try.”

Frodo looked up at him and nodded.  “I understand.”

“This may be difficult, but you must not tell anyone my name.  Not your friends, or cousins, or anyone.”

“I won’t, if you don’t want me to.”  Frodo looked puzzled.  “Are you a secret?”

“Something like that.”  Aragorn’s eyes grew distant.  “Perhaps someday I won’t be, but for now, I’m just a Ranger who came to stay for a few days.”

“Can I make up a name for you?”

Aragorn smiled.  “Why don’t you call me ‘Estel’.”

“Why?”

“That’s a new Elvish word for you; it means ‘hope’.  My foster-father used to call me that.”

“It sounds like a girl’s name.  I have a cousin named ‘Estella’.”

Aragorn laughed, and bent down to hug the boy close.  “Then you’re not likely to forget it, are you?”

“Why did he call you ‘hope’?”

Aragorn sighed.  “People are expecting me to accomplish many things.”

“Oh.”  Frodo smiled.  “It’s the same with my new cousin, Peregrin.  He’ll be Thain someday.”

“Thain?”

“The Thain looks after the Shire --- you know, ‘until the King comes back,’ ” Frodo recited automatically.

“Isn’t that interesting,” said Aragorn softly, exchanging a look with Gandalf.  “And do you think the King will come back, Frodo?”

“I don’t know, Aragorn,” said the boy seriously.  “Because I don’t know where he’s gone to.”  He looked up at the wizard.  “You’re leaving, too, Gandalf?”

“Yes, dear boy, I am.  I hope you can forgive me for this less than ideal visit.”

“Of course I forgive you,” said Frodo.  “On one condition.”

“Oh?”

“I still haven’t seen you do anything magical.  Smoke rings don’t count.”

Gandalf smiled and moved closer to Frodo.

“Do you remember, Frodo, the night we met, when you said you had trouble remembering your parents’ faces, sometimes?”

“Yes,” said Frodo, his eyes wide.

Gandalf brought his hand up to the boy’s face, and whispered something.  Frodo gasped and stared at the wizard in amazement.  He could see his parents, clear as day, in his mind.

“There,” said Gandalf softly.  “Now they’ll always be in your memory, dear lad.  You can see them anytime you want.”

“Oh, thank you,” breathed Frodo.  “Thank you, Gandalf.  How wonderful!”

Aragorn leaned forward and kissed Frodo on his forehead, then got to his feet.

“Be well, Frodo.”

“I’ll miss you, Ara--- Estel,” said Frodo, fighting to hold back the tears.  “What kind of present would you like?”

“For what?”

“For my birthday.”

Aragorn looked at Frodo, puzzled.  “What do you mean?”

Gandalf laughed.  “Come, Aragorn; we must leave.  I will explain it to you later.”

Aragorn looked down at the young hobbit who had, in such a short time, entwined himself into his life, and his heart.

“Goodbye, little one.”

“’Bye,” whispered Frodo.

 ** TBC **





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List