Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

The "ayes" have it, but I'll have you know I had to bribe the Muse with pina coladas and dark chocolate to get her to add another chapter. She was resigned to writing a final scene with Elanor and Sam, it is on the outline after all, but this chapter, which follows below, is all-new material... so enjoy. 

Epilogue

’Well, Midge, you look almost passable,’ Freddy said with a faint sense of shock. Little Estella had grown up and was looking more than passable. Half the unattached hobbits at the celebration would have been vying for her attention, had not the Thain made it clear to his son that his duty was to be by Estella’s side for the entire day. Pippin seemed to be bearing up well, for the Midge was a lively companion and nearly as mischievous as himself. Now the Thain called his son away from the wedding breakfast for a last-moment consultation, and Estella let the bright smile drop.

Melilot squeezed Freddy’s hand and nodded past him, at Estella. Taking her hint, he turned to his sister. ‘What is it, Babe?’ he asked softly. ‘What’s got you looking so sour?’

’That Merry Brandybuck is one of your closest friends and yet he cannot be bothered to come to your wedding! I thought he was to stand up with you... but he is not even here!’

’And a roast cannot be served without a side-dish, is that the case?’ Freddy said. He patted Estella’s hand. ‘Pippin has offered to stand in for our errant cousin, Midge, and I have gratefully accepted.’ She bridled. ‘Well what should I have done? Stood alone? Made it obvious that I could not find anyone to stand up with me?’

He turned to Melilot. ‘I’m sorry, my dear, but my family does not seem to approve of our union. One cousin sailed away to avoid his responsibility, and the other took himself off for a long ride... where did you say he went?’

’Rohan,’ Melilot answered. ‘Perhaps we should run off together and spare the sensibilities of society’s critics.’

’A tempting idea,’ Freddy said. ‘Tell me, what other tricks do you Brandybucks have up your sleeves? Is someone going to step forward in the midst of the ceremony and shout his objections?’

’That was supposed to be a surprise,’ Melilot pouted. ‘However did you guess?’

Freddy laughed, but Estella was not amused. ‘To think that ever-so proper Meriadoc B. would shirk his responsibility...’ she said.

’Beloved sister,’ Freddy said, dropping Melilot’s hand and his voice at the same time, turning to place his hands on Estella’s shoulders. ‘Do desist before I give in to the temptation to shake some sense into you. If it makes you feel any better, I’m the one who told Merry to go off and not put himself through the torture of a wedding. He’s still grieving the loss of his true-love, after all.’ Merry’s intended had died on their wedding-eve when an earthen dam broke and the resulting flood swept away a waggon full of celebrating hobbits, and Merry’s hopes and dreams.

’That’s torn it; the tongues are wagging now,’ Melilot said low behind him. Freddy turned back in surprise, and she offered him her hand, one eloquent eyebrow raised. ‘You’re supposed to hold my hand through the entire wedding breakfast, you know, or else the gossips will think we’ve quarrelled.’

’Then let us not disappoint them,’ Freddy answered, taking up her hand again. ‘What shall we quarrel about?’

’Hmmm, a difficult topic,’ Melilot mused. ‘So much to choose from. What do you suggest?’

’How about the name of our first son?’ Freddy answered. ‘That’s a lovely topic for long discussion and offers hours of diversion and disagreement.’

’Very well, why don’t you go first?’ Melilot said, a smile dimpling her cheeks.

’What do you think of...’ Freddy paused for a dramatic moment. ‘Frodovar?’

’Frodovar?’ Melilot laughed. ‘A Baggins name with a Bolger twist! How absurd... and yet, I like it! What d’you think Frodo would say?’

’He was the one to suggest it,’ Freddy said, then raised her hand to his lips. ‘There,’ he said. ‘Gossips satisfied. A quarrel, and the making-up, all within the scope of a single wedding breakfast.’

’What are we talking about?’ Pippin said brightly, returning to his seat between Freddy and Estella, who once again had pasted on a brilliant smile for Pippin’s sake.

’About your dereliction of duty,’ Freddy returned. ‘Aren’t you supposed to be offering a toast about now?’

’Was I?’ Pippin said in mock astonishment. ‘Honestly, Freddy, you’ll have to walk me through this step-by-step, you know. I’ve never stood up for anyone at a wedding before. Wouldn’t be here now, excepting I was passing by the Hall and someone took me by the collar and dragged me in.’

’Good thing you were wearing your best,’ Melilot said, eyeing the shining mail and elegant black surcoat with the Tree of Gondor broidered in silver on the breast.

’Serendipity, my dear,’ Pippin said serenely, taking a sip of his wine and then dabbing at his mouth with his serviette. ‘Ah yes, quite satisfactory,’ he said, picking up the glass again and rising to his feet. ‘A toast!’ he cried, and the call was taken up by the rest of the hobbits in the great room.

Freddy smiled into Melly’s eyes, hearing another beloved cousin’s voice ringing through the ritual words. He could almost hear Frodo calling, ‘Laugh long! Live long! Love forever!’

'Same to you, cousin,' he whispered. 'Same to you.'





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List