Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 53. Lease on Life

Returning to Bag End on the First of October, Frodo found the smial subdued. Freddy had taken to his bed, and Sam and Rosie were very worried indeed, though Sam said only, 'I'd like you to take a look at him before I say anything.'

’Welcome to your home, Frodo!’ Freddy said weakly, extending a hand, and Frodo crossed quickly into the room to take it.

’Freddy, what are you doing in bed? ‘Tis a beautiful autumn evening. You ought to see the sunset.’

’I can see a little,’ Freddy said, nodding at the window. Samwise had put him in the best guest room, giving him a view of the Party Field below. From where he lay he could just see the top of the mallorn tree peeking above the sill. ‘Sit down, rest your feet, Frodo, and Sam will bring you a cup of tea. Or would you prefer sherry, or brandy?’ he added mischievously. It pleased him to sound as if he were the host and Frodo the guest in his own home.

’I’ll be right back,’ Frodo said. ‘I just want to greet Rosie, and from the good smells she’s in the kitchen as we speak.’

Going out into the hallway, he heard Sam’s whispered report. Freddy had enjoyed the simple wedding, though he’d gone to bed early, before the wedding supper as a matter of fact. He’d spent the day after the wedding in bed, and arose early the next day to tell Sam and Rosie he anticipated his parents’ arrival from Tuckborough, and possibly his Uncle Rudi and new bride. Though there was no road from Tuckborough to Bywater, there was a track along which a coach might go, a bit too rough for casual travel. Only those with great need who did not care to ride pony-back used it.

Just before teatime a coach had pulled up before Bag End. Freddy was sitting on the bench in front of the smial, enjoying the autumn sunshine and watching for the arrival. He rose and welcomed his relatives, and they retired to the parlour for tea served by Rosie.

’It seems odd to be receiving guests here,’ Freddy said. ‘Perhaps you ought to pretend I’m Frodo.’

They all laughed. ’Freddy, you’re looking well,’ his mother said with a kiss for his cheek.

’I am well,’ he said firmly, embracing her, then turning to greet his father and uncle and Pimpernel. ‘And do I call you Auntie Nell?’ he said with an insouciant grin for the new bride.

’Just so long as you do not call me late to dinner,’ Pimpernel said with a smile, and Freddy laughed.

’I think I’m going to like having you in the family, Aunt,’ he answered. ‘I do believe you’re my favourite aunt!’

’She’s your only aunt,’ Rudi said dryly.

’Exactly,’ Freddy said smugly. ‘Makes things so much simpler, don’t you think?’

After teatime, they walked down to the Party Field to admire the mallorn tree, and then to the bottom of the Hill where the new Mill had been built in the image of the original torn down by the ruffians. ‘Are you sure you’re up to the walk?’ Odo asked his son.

’Of course!’ Freddy said. ‘Never felt better!’

’There’s something about a millwheel,’ Rosamunda said to Pimpernel. ‘I find it—soothing, and refreshing at the same time. I could stand here and watch the wheel turn for hours.’

’It’s ever-changing and yet always the same,’ Pimpernel answered. ‘I used to sit on the bank of the Tuckbourne when Da would take Pip fishing, and watch the water go by. Change may come—does come—and yet things stay the same. It is quite comforting, somehow.’

’I think it is time to turn back,’ Odovacar said. ‘We mustn’t be so rude as to come late to supper, especially when Samwise and Rosie have been so kind as to take us in when Frodo is not at home.’

Arm in arm Pimpernel and Rosamunda ascended the Hill, while Odo and Rudi took Freddy between them, that he might lean on them if the way proved too steep. They reached the smial to the welcoming smell of good food and Sam’s ‘Well come! You are just in time for supper.’

Their places were laid at the table, the wine was breathing on the sideboard and as they took their seats, Rose and Sam began bringing in platter after platter of lovingly-prepared food. ‘I can see why you’re staying here, nephew,’ Rudi said to Freddy. ‘I’d be tempted to stay on, myself...’

’Too close to the Great Smials,’ Freddy said complacently. ‘You’ve got to get my dearest Auntie Nell clear away, you know, and out from under her father’s thumb!’

’Freddy!’ Nell laughed, blushing, but he nodded at her meaningfully.

’You just wait and see,’ he said. ‘You’ll understand once you breathe the air of freedom in Bridgefields. The Thain hardly ever goes that far.’

They sat up late talking, and then sought their beds. Freddy was up early again, the next day, to see the travellers off.

’You look a bit tired, son,’ Rosamunda said in concern.

’I’m fine, really I am,’ Freddy protested. ‘Do not worry about me! You’re the ones who have to climb in the coach and journey for two more days—I will be staying here, waited on hand and foot by the faithful Sam and his Rose in the lap of comfort and luxury!’

Odo chuckled and embraced his son. ‘Be well, Freddy,’ he whispered. He felt Freddy’s arms tighten briefly, and then his son stepped away to say farewell to the newlyweds.

’Do not be strangers!’ Freddy said in parting. ‘I would welcome you to Bag End anytime you wish to come!’

’But would Frodo?’ Rudi laughed.

’I can talk him round,’ Freddy said, looking thoughtful and serious until he could no longer suppress his smile as the others laughed. ‘Safe journey!’ he said.

They climbed into the coach and were on their way. Freddy climbed into bed and there he remained until Frodo’s return.

Samwise recounted all to Frodo. ‘He overdid, is what he did,’ he ended. ‘Trying to show them that all was well, and no cause for worry, he wore himself out.’

Frodo returned to the bedroom with two cups of tea. Taking his, Freddy thanked him, sipping absently as he turned his eyes back to catch the last colours of the sunset. ‘What was it all about, Freddy?’ Frodo said. ‘Exhausting yourself to prove something to your parents? What?’

Freddy was silent, sipping his tea, and Frodo waited. Finally, Freddy said in a low voice, ‘I wanted to give them something to remember me by.’

’What!’ Frodo said, nearly spilling his tea in his surprise, and then he grew angry. ‘Don’t talk like that!’

’Don’t talk like what?’ Freddy said. ‘I’m tired, Frodo. No matter how much I sleep, I’m tired when I waken. I don’t want them worrying and hovering over my bedside, you cannot think how tiresome that is! Everything is tiresome these days.’

’So that’s it?’ Frodo said sharply. ‘You’re going to give up, fade away as the day fades into the night? I thought better of you than that.’

’Did you?’ Freddy said politely.

’Of course you’re tired!’ Frodo scolded. ‘You’ve been keeping late hours, walking all over Hobbiton, climbing the Hill for goodness’ sake, acting as if nothing’s wrong. Have you never heard of taking a short walk, adding to it each day, step by step?’

’Step by step,’ Freddy echoed. ‘I’ve always been more likely to take a mile when you give me an inch.’

’Start taking inches, Freddy,’ Frodo said, lifting his cousin’s hand in a firm hold. ‘Life is sweet, and it is short. Don’t cut it any shorter than you have to!’

’I’ll try, Frodo,’ Freddy said.

Frodo gave a nod of satisfaction. ‘You do that, cousin,’ he said. ‘Now get some sleep, and I will see you at second breakfast.’

The next day, Frodo went down the Hill to talk to Anise Grubb. ‘His heart has been strained,’ she confirmed, ‘but there’s no reason to shroud him just yet, if he’s careful,’ she added. ‘You say he walked up the Hill? That won’t do. Short walks, certainly, and add to them gradually, but if he wants to walk down the Hill he ought to ride a pony up again.’ She rummaged on a shelf. ‘Here,’ she said, finding a bottle and extending it to Frodo.

’What is it?’ Frodo asked.

’It’s a tonic, made to strengthen the heart. Give him just a few drops in a cup of tea when he’s feeling weak—a few drops, mind! The stuff can be deadly, taken in the wrong dose!’

’What is it?’ Frodo asked again.

’It comes from the foxglove,’ Anise said.

’That’s deadly poison!’ Frodo said.

’Yes it is,’ Anise nodded, ‘so be careful about the dosage. It can stop a heart as well as steady one, but it may well help your cousin.’

Frodo nodded. ‘It’s worth a try,’ he said. ‘Freddy’s nearly talked himself into an early grave.’

’Build him up with good food, gentle exercise, rest, and something to interest him,’ Anise said. ‘It’s amazing the hold on life our interests can give us.’

’Thank you,’ Frodo said, laying two silver pennies upon the table. ‘You’ve just given me an idea.’

Back at Bag End, he put a couple of drops of the tonic into the cup of tea Rose poured for Freddy, then told her to put the bottle on a high shelf, explaining what the healer had said. He brought the tea to Freddy, who was sitting up in bed, looking out on the bright day.

’Tea!’ Frodo said. ‘Drink up, and then I have a task for you.’

’A task?’ Freddy said.

’Yes. You haven’t gone over any of my writing in weeks. You’ve quite a bit of work before you to catch up! However can I copy it into the Red Book without your help beforehand, making sure it sounds right and correcting my spelling?’

’I—‘ Freddy said, but Frodo interrupted.

’Drink up; I don’t want you spilling on the papers,’ he said blithely. ‘I’ll be right back with the first instalment.’





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List