Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

A Small and Passing Thing  by Lindelea

Chapter 5.  Pause


’Is that all, Grandad?’ little Frodo-lad piped. Samwise had stopped reading, and sat as if in deep thought.

’Is that the end?’ young Lily said. ‘And they all lived happily, to the end of their days...?’

’Not quite,’ Sam said, closing the book. ‘I’m sorry, Ellie, I’ve read into the middle night.’ He glanced down at small Rose, asleep with her head pillowed on one of his feet.

’Ah, I know, Dad, and I nearly spoke twice, but we couldn’t stop with the hobbits in that awful place,’ Elanor said. ‘Why, Mum told me how she gave Mr Fredegar a cup of cold water, thinking they were about to take his life. “I couldn’t let him go thirsty to his death, somehow,” she used to say, and it always made a tear come to her eye.’

‘But they didn’t know it was him!’ Frodo-lad said in excitement. ‘They took him to the Lockholes instead! Why didn’t they know him, Dad?’ he asked Fastred.

Fastred took his long-dead pipe from his mouth and said slowly, ‘They never bothered to get to know any hobbits, and so they couldn’t tell a Bolger from a Boffin. We all look alike to them, you see.’ He got up, adding, ‘I’ll just take a look around Undertowers, make sure everything is as it should be.’

He exchanged a long glance with Elanor, and she rose, saying briskly. ‘Off to bed with you now, children, there’ll be more of the story on the morrow.’ She looked to Sam. ‘Won’t there, Dad?’ she asked more softly.

Samwise nodded with an odd little smile. ‘I’ve plenty of time, Ellie,’ he said. ‘I’ve nowhere to be going until I’ve finished the story.’ Fastred had waited for his answer, then let himself out the door.

’But if they didn’t end happily, what did happen?’ Lily said.

’I didn’t say they ended badly, Lily,’ Sam said, ‘for there’s a lot of middle to get through, first. But that’ll have to wait for the morrow. Off with you, now, and obey your mother.’ 

‘Good night, Dad,’ Elanor said, getting up and dropping a kiss on her father’s head before turning away to shoo the little ones off towards their beds. She turned in the doorway, saying, ‘And what about you, Sam-Dad? Aren’t you tired?’

’I think I’ll just spend a few more minutes with Mr Frodo before I turn myself in,’ Sam said, patting the Book. ‘You go on ahead, I’ll blow out the lamps.’

’All right, Dad,’ Elanor said. ‘Good night.’






<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List