Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Alone: A Cormallen AU  by Garnet Took


Alone: A Cormallen AU


Garnet Took


Disclaimer: I own none of the characters in this story. I have just been in love with them for the last 46 years. Please don’t sue, I’m not worth much more than a turnip. 


Warning: Character death.


It had all happened so fast. first had come the joyous news that the Dark Tower had fallen and Sauron was defeated. Then had come the terse summons to Cormallen. “Make haste!”,  the note had said. There had been no clear explanation why it was imperative that he hurry but his heart knew the reason.


Merry sat bleakly, not taking in beauty and peace that permeated this place. At any other time he would have noticed the calm that the swaying of the beech trees and the song of the birds brought. 


The only thing that he saw was a constant replaying of the events of the last three days in his mind often blurred by his waking tears. 


With the help of Faramir and Eowyn, Merry had managed to be in the first group to depart the city for Ithilien. 


When he arrived, he was greeted by both Legolas and Gimli. 


Merry started to smile at his two friends but then he saw the expressions on they’re faces and quickly swallowed the joyful words he was about to say. “How bad is it?” he asked instead.


“It’s bad, laddie,” said Gimli. Legolas gave the dwarf a sharp look but kept his displeasure at his friend’s bluntness to himself. 


“Come,” said the elf, holding out his hand. “The time is short and we don’t want waste a moment of it.”


“Legolas, what is going on? Why isn’t Pippin here with you?”


“Just come with us.” answered Gimli. 


Seeing that he wasn’t going to get a response out of either of his friends, Merry relented and followed where they led. 


As they walked, Merry noticed that there were many soldiers of both Gondor and Rohan who appeared to have suffered injuries. Most of these seemed to be minor which encouraged him. If these men were all right, for the most part, maybe Pippin was too. 


As for the camp itself, he saw that the location had been chosen for not only it’s pleasant mix of trees and sun but it also had easy access to fresh water and other necessities that a large encampment would need.


Gradually, Merry became aware that the people he was seeing had changed from the soldiers he had first noticed to healers that were busy about their work; going from tent to tent, tending the more gravely injured. He also noticed two small tents that were set apart from the others and it was toward the first of those that they now walked.


Just before they reached that tent, Legolas stopped. He looked down at the young hobbit and his face was both serious and sad. “I don’t want you to be terribly shocked by what you’re about to see,” he said. “You must remember that both Frodo and Sam went all the way to Mount Doom. It was only by the swift wings of the eagles that they still live.”


“They’re alive!” Merry’s face was suddenly alight with joy and relief.


The elf and dwarf exchange a desolate expression and Gimli spoke next. “They are clinging to life by the weakest of threads. Aragorn is certain that the thread will not hold and he wishes you to see them ere it breaks.”


Merry’s expression crumbled and tears swam in his soft, brown eyes. “No,” he breathed. “They made it this far, surely they can hang on.” Without another word, he began to half run toward the tent. 


Gandalf looked up when he heard someone enter. “Good, you’ve come in time,” he said. “We feared it would not be so. Come, speak your farewell and blessings to the Ring Bearers.” He stood from the low stool he had been sitting on and beckoned Merry to take his place. 


Haltingly, Merry approached and sat down. “Can they hear me?” he asked the wizard. 


“Yes they can hear you. They are not in a deep, healing sleep. We wanted them to be able to communicate with us if they had something they wished to convey before the end.”


“The end,” Merry whispered as he looked from Frodo’s emaciated face to Sam’s. “I never believed it would end like this,” he said to both of them. “I mean, I knew it was not a hobbit walking party, as Gandalf constantly reminded us but I alway believed that the four of us would make it. The Ring would be destroyed and we’d all go back to our old lives. Frodo, I don’t want you go and take all your wisdom and compassion with you. I feel like I need it more than ever right now. And Sam, what will we do without your indomitable hopefulness and empathy?” He gulped to keep a sob at bay. “I’m not ready to say goodbye but I have no choice. Go with grace, my cousin and my friend. Please remember us and wait for us in that far country. I love you both.” At this, the tears finally came.


Gandalf knelt and enfolded Merry in his arms. “Be strong, Meriadoc, for there is yet another leave-taking you must face.”


“I can’t, Gandalf! It’s hard enough to lose Frodo and Sam. I can’t lose Pip too.”


“Merry, he’s hanging on for you. You have to be brave enough to let him know it’s all right for him to go. His body is a broken shell that can no long hold his spirit. You wouldn’t want him to stay when all he would know is endless pain.”


Merry shook his head against Gandalf’s shoulder. “I want him to be the sweet, loving, foolish Took he’s always been but I guess that will never be.”


He stepped back for the wizard and wiped at his eyes with a sleeve. “If it be, then now is the time. That way none of them leaves this life alone.”


Gandalf led Merry to the other tent. There they met Gimli, Legolas and Aragorn. They all had the same bleak look that Merry knew was on his own face. 


Aragorn knelt to be at eye level with the hobbit. “I need you to know we’ve done all that we could. I won’t go into details but just know that his injuries are not survivable. He knows this and has only been asking to see you ere the end.”


Merry nodded and went into the tent. 


If it was possible, Pippin looked worse than Frodo and Sam. It was obvious that he had several broken facial bones and probably many more elsewhere. His breathing was rapid and shallow. Merry put his fist to his mouth and bit on his own knuckle till he could compose himself enough to speak. 


“Hullo, Pippin,” he was finally able to say. “I’m so sorry this happened to you. I wish there was something I could have done to prevent this.” 


“No, M’ry, No blame.” the voice was barely a whisper. “Do one favor. Tell ‘em the Shire needs help. Still in danger. Don’t let Saruman win.


Merry reached out and took Pippin’s hand. “I’ll tell them,” he promised


“Stay with me. Hold my hand. It’s dark and cold and I’m alone.” Pippin gave Merry’s hand a weak squeeze. “Wait, I think I hear something.” his voice faded to nothing as he said, “Frodo, wait, I’m coming.” There was a small exhalation of breath and then nothing.


Merry fell to ground sobbing as his whole world crumbled before him. 


_______________________


Seven days later, in  a simple ceremony, Frodo, Sam and Pippin were entombed  in Rath Dinnen.  Shortly after the coronation of Aragorn as king and his marriage to Arwen, A small army went north to save the Shire as the four hobbits would have done.


Merry found that he could not make himself leave his friends and so he spent his years in Gondor in the keeping of the king.





        

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List