Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

An Unexpected Adventure [IN HIATUS]  by KathyG

Summary: In the spring of 2012, four American children find themselves thrust into an unfamiliar world and part of an unexpected adventure.  This story is AU, and blends Lord of the Rings book-verse and movie-verse.  This story also contains a lot of spiritual and religious content as a part of the AU elements.

Disclaimer: The world of Middle-earth and all its peoples belong to the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien; the three films of The Lord of the Rings​ belongs to New Line Cinema and to Peter Jackson.  This story is not for profit, but is a gift for the enjoyment of those who read it.

Citations: In most chapters, there will be some quotations directly from both the books and/or the movies.  Quotations from Tolkien's books are in italics, and quotations from the movies are underlined.  Occasional quotations from other sources as well as silent dialogue, words spoken in emphasis, and passages from the Bible will also be in italics, and those citations will be footnoted at the end of each chapter in which they occur. We will also footnote research sources and credit the ideas of other people.

Thanks: We would also like to acknowledge the invaluable help of our beta, Linda Hoyland, another well-known and prolific LotR fanwriter, whose many wonderful stories also grace this site.

A/N:  One of the things that KG asked me (DF), when we were going to partner in this story, was that we try to include my OC, Menelcar, who appears in my stories, "The Life of a Bard" and “Chance Encounter”.  I agreed.  Therefore, you may see bits of "Chance Encounter" quoted here and there in the next few chapters.  Those are from my own story, so be assured that if you see something you recognize, it is not plagiarized.  Thank you.  DF and KG.

Chapter 108: Fun and Fancy Free

Kevin picked up his pace, causing Beregond to rush to keep up with him.

"What is the hurry now, Sir Kevin?" his friend asked.

"I think my dad just spotted me," he replied.  "I'd rather not have to explain everything to him right now, not this minute."

"Ah."  The Guardsman nodded.  "I see."  The two walked ahead and to the side, until they were even with the King and Faramir.  But then they heard a commotion behind them.

"What now?"  Kevin asked.  He turned and saw an angry Frodo coming in the direction of the little troop of guards.  He and Beregond and the rest of the guards also stopped, but the King gestured, and ordered them to continue taking the prisoners in.  So, of course, Kevin and Beregond also continued with the rest.

"What do you suppose is happening?" Beregond asked.

Since Kevin could hear only Frodo's raised voice, fading as they kept walking in the opposite direction, he shook his head.  "I can make a good guess," he replied, shaking his head.  "It sounds like Frodo may have found out that his youngest cousin's been in danger, and he isn't happy about it."

The Guardsmen saw the prisoners to the dungeon and turned them over to the Warden, and then they reported to the Captain's office.  Kevin knew that all of them would have to report their own parts in the capture, including himself.

Of course, now they had to wait on the King, Faramir, and of course, Pippin, to join them, which occurred in only a few moments.  The door opened, and everyone stood to attention, but Aragorn made a gesture with his hand.  "Be at ease, men."

Faramir also nodded, and then he and Aragorn went to take seats at the Captain's table.  Faramir helped himself to a quill, an inkpot, and a piece of parchment, as each of the guardsmen told their story in turn, Pippin first.

Kevin was surprised to be next to give his statement, and then the two were dismissed, as Beregond was next after Kevin.

Kevin found Pippin leaning against the wall opposite the door with a grin, his arms crossed.

"What was all that about, Pip?" Kevin asked, even though he thought he knew.

"Just Frodo, he exercised his right as the senior cousin, and pitched a tantrum about me being in danger, not that I really was."  

Rolling his eyes, Kevin snorted and shook his head and then bit back an amused grin.  Pippin grinned back.  “My mom would probably do much the same thing, if she knew,” Kevin said, and Pippin shrugged.

The two began to walk along, and Pippin told Kevin how he had made Frodo understand that as a Knight of Gondor and a Guard of the Citadel, Pippin had duties that he had to obey, over and above being a “meek little hobbit".  Pippin grinned, and then sighed.  "Merry is next.  I'll have to figure out a way to keep him from having to say his piece of his mind."

Kevin also sighed.  "My dad saw me with the other guards, but not in livery.  I've got to figure out what to tell my family…"  He trailed off.  

"Your father was a soldier once," Pippin replied.  "He'll understand.”

“Yeah, surely, he will.  My mom, though…”  Shaking his head, Kevin bit his lower lip.  “I’m not sure she will.”  He sighed.  “She didn’t even approve of Dad teaching me to handle a gun, back home.”

"Well, I don't know about you, but I've missed second breakfast and elevenses.  Why don't we go have a bite to eat at The Golden Cockerel, my treat?  Then we'll be fortified to face the music."

Come to think of it, I am hungry!  "I'll take that offer up, Pip, if you’ll let me treat you, the next time."

They continued on, now thinking only of their stomachs for the time being.

-oo000oo-

Steve could not help but wonder what Kevin had been doing, dressed in civilian clothes, but also obviously a part of that group of guards who had been guarding the King.  He hadn't seen all of them, as they were moving fairly quickly, but that was definitely Kevin at the end, with Pippin at his side.

Perhaps Kevin hadn't heard him.  Well, he thought, I'll ask him later.  Right now, he was pleased with the progress that he and Master Hallas had made so far, but they still had a number of things yet to resolve.  Their next move was to head down to the Guild Hall…

"Master McCloud?" Hallas had been surprised to see his companion was lost in thought.

Steve gave a start.  "Sorry!  I was thinking about what else we have yet to do, Master Hallas."

"I was about to say, it is nearing time for the noon meal.  Would you care to break our fast together at The Golden Cockerel?"

Steve smiled at him.  "That sounds like an excellent idea.  I’ve eaten there before; they have an excellent…"

"…chicken pie?" said the other man.  He laughed, and Steve chuckled.  "I see our minds are on the same road."  Steve nodded his agreement, smiling.

They quickly made their way toward their destination on the Fourth Circle. For the short time that it had been open, The Golden Cockerel seemed to have become quite popular.

The two found a table in the courtyard, which was not yet as crowded as it soon would be, for the weather was pleasant.  The waiter came and took an order for the famous chicken pie to share between them, and Master Hallas ordered a mug of ale, while Steve ordered some tea.

As they waited, Steve and Hallas began to speak of the Guilds.

"After luncheon," said Hallas, "we can go to the Guild Hall.  It is on this level, and we can find out what plans they have made for their procession."

Steve nodded.  "I’ve been told that they often did that sort of thing before the war.  Will they also be taking part in the special Market Day?"

"Some, but not all, have agreed to do so.  I think that they will be letting us know today how many will be participating."

“I see.”  Steve took a sip of his tea.  "Menelcar has claimed the centre of the Market Square for the performers, so most of the merchants will be setting up around the edges."

"I think that the Hall itself is supposed to be where the craft exhibition will be held."  Hallas cleared his throat and took a swallow of his ale.

“Yes.”  With a nod, Steve sipped his tea.  "We still need to choose a place for the other contests, as well as for the children's games." 

"Well, I think we've gotten the main outline of the spaces planned out…" said Hallas, sipping his ale.

"Hi, Dad!" said a voice behind his shoulder, and Steve gave a start.

He turned to see Kevin there, with Pippin at his side.  "Hello, son!  It's good to see you as well, Pippin.”

"Will you join us, then?" Master Hallas asked.  He indicated the other two chairs at the table.

"Sure," said Kevin, "If you don't mind.  How about you, Pippin?"

The hobbit nodded. "I think it's a good idea, especially as it looks as though there won't be any more tables in a few moments."  He gestured at the entrance to the courtyard, where a number of people had gathered and were waiting to come in.  Pippin jumped on top of one of the two empty chairs and stood up on it, waving his hand to get the attention of the waiter—who, upon seeing Pippin, who had already become a regular customer there—hurried back to that table.

Pippin hopped down, as the waiter quickly arrived.  "Good afternoon, Sir Peregrin!  How may I help you?" he said.

"We are joining our friends," Pippin replied.  "So, another chicken pie to this table, please, and I'd like a pint of stout.  What drink do you want, Sir Kevin?"

Kevin glanced at his dad.  "What did you order, Dad?"  At Steve's answer of "tea", Kevin looked up at the waiter.  "I'll have the same as my father."

"Very well.  Two chicken pies, two teas, an ale, and a stout."  The waiter gave a decisive nod.  "I shall return soon."

As soon as the waiter left, Steve looked over at Kevin.  "I saw you a while back.  You were with a squad of Guardsmen, but you weren't in uniform.”  He turned to Pippin.  “And you, too, Pippin.  What was going on?"

Kevin looked over at Pippin.  "Do you think it's okay to tell him?  I haven't had a chance to ask anyone in authority yet."

Pippin shrugged.  "It's over now.  And by tomorrow, the whole thing will be all over the City, anyway.  If I know Menelcar, he'll have a ballad ready to sing by tonight, or maybe a tale for the broadsheets.  If you're worried about it, I'll be glad to tell it…"

Kevin nodded.  Pippin would tell it better, anyway.  And it’s Pippin's story to tell, anyway, he thought.

So, with many a flourish, Pippin told the whole story from the time he heard the plot from Menelcar for the first time, to the plan to lure the would-be hustlers into a trap, and the successful springing of the trap.  "…so, I used my teeth first, and then followed Boromir's advice to take him down with a kick in the, er, groin."  He made a face.  "The only part of it that I regret is the bite.  He tasted foul."  Between Bilbo, Frodo, and Menelcar, Pippin had become quite an expert teller of tales.  There was applause all around, and only then did those at the table realize that all those at the surrounding tables had been listening as well.  With a cheeky grin, Pippin stood up and gave a bow, and everyone broke out in laughter.

Steve shook his head in amazement.  Kevin had been involved in quite an adventure.  "Well, son, I'm very proud of you for the part you played.  It's a sad thing that criminals would try to fleece a war hero like Pippin!"

Master Hallas nodded.  "I hope that those criminals get a harsh punishment for their disrespect and greed."

"I’m sure they will.  The King wasn’t impressed at all by their boldness.  They didn’t really care which hobbit they fleeced, but they thought Pippin would be one of the easiest to fool with a sob story," said Kevin.  Turning to his father, he added, “I wanted to tell you, Dad, but the King didn’t want me telling anyone ahead of time.  Not even you or Mom.”

"That's part of being a soldier, Kevin.  During the Gulf War when I was in the military, I often had to take part in operations with sealed orders," Steve said, nodding.  “I was not at liberty to tell my parents about them, either.”

"I'm just glad it's all over," Kevin said.  "How are the plans for the street fair going?  I hope I can be part of the plans now, but I'll have to see how much free time it will take."

Just then, the waiter arrived with their orders and soon the conversation was centred about the food…

-oo000oo-

That evening, the McClouds found themselves invited to another feast, this one in the King's wing of the Citadel.  Only the Fellowship, Kevin's family, and Faramir and Denethor were invited. 

Menelcar was there in his capacity as Court Bard.  But otherwise, only the servants who were in charge of the meal were present.

Gail had been surprised by the invitation, and asked Steve what the occasion was.  He had just smiled and said that she would find out when they arrived…

"It's not another surprise party, is it?" she asked suspiciously.

"No.  I will tell you that much, but it's about something Kevin and Pippin were a part of," her husband offered with a mischievous smile.

Gail shook her head, rolling her eyes in amusement.  "Have your secret, then.  I guess I'll find out tonight, anyway."

She wore the same gown that she'd worn at the party the previous evening.  Mairen dressed Megan and Kaylee, and she made two little flower wreaths for their hair.  Together, the family made their way to the Royal wing of the Citadel, and soon entered the dining room.

Gail looked around, impressed at how they had managed to prepare this feast on such short notice.  Menelcar sat strumming his harp gently in the background while they ate.

Gail was seated near Faramir.  “I was surprised to be told of this feast!” she said to him.

Soon enough, the first course was announced.  The servants brought out loaves of freshly baked breads, bowls of freshly churned butter, and a warm soup of chickpeas seasoned with herbs and spices.

As was usual at the feasts, the hobbits were enthusiastically discussing the food.  Sam was trying to identify all the herbs.  "I think there is definitely basil and summer savoury—some 'o that oregano these Gondorians are so fond of."

The other hobbits nodded.  Frodo put in, "I do think I also tasted tarragon…"  He took another sip from his spoon.  "And something else…"

"Peppercorns," Pippin said.

"And cinnamon and ginger," Merry added, only to be interrupted by the arrival of a large bowl filled with salad of mixed greens.  "Ooh," said the Brandybuck, with a smile.

Frodo grinned.  "Rocket!  And spinach and…"

Gail shook her head and turned to Faramir.  "It's always so amazing to me how hobbits can identify all the ingredients in something with only a few tastes!"

The young man nodded.  "The first time I saw it, I was also astounded."

Gandalf leaned over from his place on the Steward's other side.  "They have incredibly sensitive tongues.  I won a wager once with Thorin Oakenshield that Bilbo could call out every single ingredient in a stew that Bombur made with a mere sip."  He chuckled at the memory.

“Their taste buds must be incredibly sensitive,” Steve said, with a smile.  “Much more than ours are.”

"Oh, yes," Gandalf said.  "And their noses are almost as accurate as their tongues."

The salads were followed by roasted small game birds that were stuffed with more fowl, ham, and herbs, as well as a dish of noodles with cheese, butter, and herbs. (This prompted a discussion on the hobbits’ side of the table as to whether they were as good as the ones that Frodo made back home in the Shire—with the consensus that of course, they weren't.)

Aragorn interrupted.  "I shall have to get the four of you in the kitchen to make us all a feast of hobbit food."

Sam blushed.  "The head cook don't like us to get underfoot in his kitchen," he said.

"He forgets that it is my kitchen.  I am the King."  King Elessar was fairly forbearing with his staff in the Citadel, much more than Denethor had ever been.  But he was inclined to get unhappy over slights to the hobbits.

Merry changed the subject diplomatically.  "These peas are wonderful.  I've never had them cooked this way before.  They're fried with bacon, lemon juice, sugar, and cinnamon.  Delicious!"

Gail had to agree.  They really are very good, she thought, taking another bite.  From further down the table, Sam spoke up.

"I'm going to get a word with the cook. I need to have the receipt* for that.  Though it mightn't be easy to get lemons in the Shire."

Aragorn laughed.  “I’m sure we can arrange a trade with the Shire for lemons, Sam.”  Sam gave him a look that thanked him.

Smiling, Gail leaned forward to speak to Sam at the other side of the table.  "Please let me know if you get that recipe, Sam!  I would love to have it as well!"  I’ll need to get Steve to translate it into English after Sam writes it down, so I can take it home with me, she thought.

Sam nodded pleasantly, and he would have said more, but then the delivery of the dessert distracted them all.  It consisted of platters of thin wafers that pleasantly smelled of ginger, and of bowls of clotted cream in which to dip them.  The servants set the platters and bowls on the table and began to serve the guests.

There was a short silence as everyone was served, a silence that was interrupted by Menelcar, who got the attention of the guests with a loud chord from his harp.

"Ladies and gentlemen, I shall now proclaim for you a new tale.  In truth, a tale of the courage of our own Sir Peregrin Took: The Adventure of Sir Peregrin and the Foolish Fraud!"

Faramir turned to Gail and Steve, speaking in a low voice, "The King asked Menelcar to make it a funny story, since those are the sorts of tales hobbits like best."  He smiled.  “Menelcar once told me that is the kind of story he likes to compose, but too seldom gets opportunities to do so, and so the King’s request pleased him.”

Exchanging a look with her husband, Gail smiled and nodded.  Kevin had already told them his point of view of the incident, so she wondered what the bard would make of it.

"Our dauntless hero Sir Peregrin was taking a stroll on a sunny day through the streets of our fair city, when he was accosted by a Man of sorrowful mien…"

Taking full advantage of the chance, the minstrel in exaggerated plaintive tones, the pitiful story the swindler had concocted, alternating with dry asides of Pippin's probable thoughts as Gail, Steve, and the others listened to it, and he soon had his audience laughing so hard, they were wiping their eyes.

“'Alas, alas, woe is me, I shall never see my poor children again…"  Menelcar used an extremely exaggerated whiny voice, and his expression was as overdone as his voice.

“'How may I help you?' asked our Prince of Halflings…"

He continued on with the story, as his audience began to snicker and giggle.  By the time he got to the part where the villain grabbed the hero, he had most of them in stitches.

"…and then, our valiant Sir Peregrin, seeing that the wretch had no honour in taking advantage of such a small adversary, decided to fight dirty as well.  He bit Minastir’s arm and then let fly his formidable and furry foot right into that most precious and most vulnerable bit of anatomy that all men cherish so well.  With a screech like a girl, Minastir let go and cried mercy, and so, like a good Guardsman, Sir Peregrin turned him over to the mercy of the King's justice!"  With a sly grin, he finished up with an extravagant gesture and a lavish bow.

"Thank you, Menelcar!"  With an amused smile, Aragorn turned to the others and announced, "And with that said, tonight all of the swindlers are guests in the finest cell in the deepest part of the Citadel.”  He gave a brief chuckle.  “I have already heard their case—not much was in question, since I myself witnessed the whole thing—and they are sentenced to begin work tomorrow in the task of restoring the Rammas Echor.  I also made it crystal-clear to Minastir that the only reason he was not decorating the end of a rope was due to your mercy alone, Pippin.  He will spend the rest of his life at hard labour, however, which will do him some good, I think—at least, he will be serving a useful purpose.  He has made a long habit of using the good natures of others to enrich himself, and you are not the first person on whom he used such tales of woe.  You are, however, the first one to turn the tables on him."  And he favoured his small knight with a look of pride.

At that point, Menelcar decided to begin a song, and in honour of Pippin, he started with the first song he had ever heard Pippin sing, a hobbity ditty called "Nob O' the Lea".**  This thoroughly delighted all four of the hobbits, who soon were singing along.  With a few of them, the younger members of the McCloud family also sang along while their parents listened, for they had heard some of them from Bilbo in Rivendell, or along the road on the quest from the other hobbits.

The minstrel soon moved to some more serious fare.  "I should now like to sing for you all a song I wrote this very day, in honour of all our hobbits, entitled 'The Smallest Hands'."***  Then he played the notes of a melody, soft and haunting upon his harp, and then began to sing:

"We hearken to the harp, and hear
of deeds of Elves and Men;
of Silmarils, Thangorodrim,
and fallen Gondolin;

"of Beren and of Lúthien;
of Eärendil the Star;
of Hurin, who was sadly cursed,
and Turin Turambar.

"We sing of fallen Númenor,
and faithful Elendil,
who, of his folk, a remnant saved
to do the Valar's will.

"We tell of mighty Gil-galad,
who led against the foe
an army vast of Elves and Men
to lay the Shadow low.

"And by such things, our hearts are stirred,
to know these tales of yore;
the dire deeds done, and victories won
by those who went before.

"So, we see then in our mind's eye
these heroes brave and tall
with faces fell and mighty arms,
who answered to the call.

"In such a way we measure them
whose deeds we may admire,
by strength of hand and height from ground;
to such we may aspire.

"There is a land so fair and green
far to the north and west,
where dwell a folk but half Men's height,
in peace and plenty blest.

"They plough the ground, they till the earth;
a simple folk, we find,
who laugh and weep and live and love;
with open hearts, and kind.

"Yet even there did Evil reach
far to the west and north.
Against the Shadow's fearsome clutch
were four who ventured forth.

"Although in height but half as high
full twice as large their hearts.
When darkness threatened all they loved,
they sought to do their parts.

"Into a world grown grim and cold,
where perils oft await,
they wandered in their innocence
toward an uncertain fate.

"And two there were, who carried off
by fell and fearsome foes,
yet by their wits and strength of will
they both struck mighty blows.

"And two there were who went alone
into the Shadow's lair;
where nothing good may there be found,
and all is bleak despair.

"Betrayed and beaten, whipped and cursed,
they managed to endure.
they struggled on through pain and thirst,
where only death was sure,

"and into malice, Mercy cast,
and Love and Grace prevailed.
So, Power and Pride did tremble then,
And thus the Darkness failed.

"Perhaps it was to humble us
when Chance or Purpose called—
and into smallest hands did give
the greatest deed of all."
***

When he finished, there was silence, as the hobbits blushed furiously, and Gail was frankly crying.  She glanced over at Steve, to see his eyes, too, were filled with tears.

“It wasn’t just Merry and Pippin who were captured by those orcs,” Joey muttered.  “So was I, and Jennifer volunteered to join us.”  He looked up at his sister.

“Yes, and I’d do it again, if I had to,” she told him.

“Well, let’s hope you’ll never again have to,” Steve said, and Gail nodded her agreement.

At this point, Menelcar withdrew, to allow the friends a chance to talk privately.

The party broke up into groups, and Gail looked at Megan and Kaylee, who both were looking rather tired and sleepy.  Kaylee kept yawning, and Megan was rubbing her eyes.

"Uh, Steve,” she said in a low voice, “this has been a great party, but look…don't you think it's time we got the small ones to bed?"

He nodded.  "Let me make out farewells to the King, then," he said, and squeezed her hand. Rising to her feet, Gail headed over to where Jennifer was holding Megan, and where Kaylee was clinging onto Kevin's leg, to collect the younger kids.  Gail wished she could also collect Joey, but he was with Boromir right now, and she and Steve would just have to trust him to get Joey to bed soon.

As for Kevin and Jennifer, the Gondorians considered those two adults, especially Kevin, and so, she wouldn't embarrass them by ordering them off to bed.  Both of them were working now, and she'd just have to trust them to get enough rest to be able to do their jobs the next day.

Gail saw Steve speaking to Aragorn, and at last, he gave a small nod, and Steve gave a brief bow and returned.  With Gail carrying Megan, and Steve carrying Kaylee, who had not even made a protest about leaving, they made their way to the corridors, and then on the way to their rooms.

-oo000oo-

A/N:  The menu for the feast is an abbreviated version of a menu used at the Alabama Renaissance Faire: The 2007 Feast October 20th, 2007, and found on the site, "Gode Cookery" [http://www.godecookery.com/alabama/alabam07.html] the recipes were done by James Matterer, Darell McCormick, and Glenda Cockrum.

*In the New England states, “receipt” is an old-fashioned word that some people still use for “recipe.”

**"Nob o' the Lea" was written by Dreamflower (DF) for "The Life of a Bard" which can be found posted in Chapter 3, in Stories of Arda, in 2005.  ("Life of a Bard" is not found anywhere else now, but I will soon put it in AO3.  DF.)

**"The Smallest Hands" was written by Dreamflower [DF] for "Chance Encounter" in 2005. The song was originally posted on Stories of Arda, and also separately in "Dreamflower's Dribs and Drabs".  It is also featured in The One Ring's "Great Hall of Poets" [https://www.theonering.net/torwp/the-great-hall-of-poets-march-2014/] in March of 2014. [DF]





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List