Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

TolkienScribe's Scribblings  by TolkienScribe

Círdan

As they came to the gates Círdan the Shipwright came forth to greet them. Very tall he was, and his beard was long, and he was grey and old, save that his eyes were keen as stars…

(Lord of the Ring: Return of the King)

(Chapter: The Grey Havens)

*.*

Later Círdan surrendered his (ring) to Mithrandir. For Círdan saw further and deeper than any other in Middle-earth, and he welcomed Mithrandir to the Grey Havens, knowing whence he came and whither he would return. "Take this ring, Master," he said, "for your labours will be heavy; but it will support you in the weariness you have taken upon yourself. For this is the Ring of Fire, and with it you may rekindle heart in a world that grows chill. But as for me, my heart is with the Sea, and I will dwell by the grey shows until the last ship sails, I will await you."

(Lord of the Rings: Appendix B)

Silence fell between them. Círdan did not mind. The song of the seagulls was sweet to his ears and the wind was a breeze flowing inland. Some did not understand his love for the Sea. They found the air humid, the smell of salt difficult to breathe and the weather treacherous when the waves tossed and turned. But this was what he loved from the beginning ever since he set eyes on the mass of water that changed colours according to its mood.

"Your realm is calm and peaceful, Cirdan," Mithrandir said. "You have laboured hard on it."

"And it is great joy to see the fruits of my labour."

Mithrandir had aged since Círdan set eyes on him last. The Maia was capable of looking fair if he so wished but before him he wore the garbs of an old man, who seemed to age as time passed by. An old man he would have been mistaken for if it wasn't for his sharp eyes and the spring in his step. Mithrandir raised his hand, uncovering the Ring of Fire that still lay on the table between them.

"Do you wish to give this to me?" Mithrandir asked. "Think again! Perhaps you might have more need of it than I in the future."

But Círdan shook his head.

"You need no hope on the ships at Sea." He said. "My people and I put our trust on the Valar for our wellbeing."

"And what of Thranduil, new king of Greenwood the Great? Do you not believe that he needs the ring more than I?" Mithrandir said with a brow raised. "This ring with its brethren was meant for Elves and yet here you offer it to Maia."

But Círdan shook his head.

"Of Thranduil I have no worry. That Elf is strong and bold and his people love him dearly. He needs not the Ring of Fire where the hopes of his people are bright and kindled. Keep it! Your travels will take you far and wide and more than once I believe you will need to put fire in the hearts of Men, Dwarves and Elves. Nay, the Ring is suited for your endeavours. Had I believed that Thranduil was more suited, it would have been him to receive the Ring."


Author's Note:

-It begs the curiosity as to why Thranduil was not given the ring while the others were bestowed on Elves.

-This is my personal take on it.

-Since Cirdan the Shipwright was considered as someone who saw far into the future, he might have had a lot of faith in Thranduil.

-Mithrandir, on the other hand, was famous for his travelling and bringing counsel at the worst of times.

If possible, do leave a review. :)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List