Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

TolkienScribe's Scribblings  by TolkienScribe

Imrahil


When Denethor became Steward he proved a masterful lord, holding the rule of all things in his own hand. He said little. He listened to counsel, and then followed his own mind. He had married late, taking as wife Finduilas, daughter of Adrahil of Dol Amroth.

*.*

Denethor loved her, in his fashion, more dearly than any other….

(Lord of the Rings: Appendix A)


He was too old for her, Imrahil thought with worry building in his chest.

He did not approve his father’s choice for his sister Finduilas’ husband. Then again, one cannot simply refuse the proposal of the Steward’s son. And Finduilas’ rank as princess made the match more than worthy. But Finduilas was so different in manner from Denethor!

Finduilas was young and lively, full of smiles and easy grace, happy with the free life by the Sea. But Denethor was grim, silent and a man of few words and many thoughts. His mouth was often set in solemn straight line and the man clearly aged before his time.

“Take good care of her,” Imrahil said suddenly. The wind blew on their faces where they both stood on the balcony. Denethor wordlessly turned and regarded him, his cloak whipping about him. As expected, the Steward’s son said nothing. But at the last moment he inclined his head.

There was the sound of the doors opening and Finduilas entered the hall clutching the arm of her father. They reached her future husband and she swept into a low curtsy.

The gentle smile on Denethor’s face eased Imrahil’s fears somewhat. 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List