Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Burden of a Healer  by Laikwalâssê

Burden of a healer

Chapter 2:  shocking news 

The Master Healer of Imladris looked up when a knock sounded on his study door.

He frowned briefly at the lateness of the hour. Yet his door was always open to any of the Valley’s inhabitants no matter the time, and so he called out, “Enter.”

He raised an eyebrow when his Troop Commander entered with two elves in his wake. A feeling that something was amiss hit him immediately. He slowly got to his feet from behind his desk.

While Glorfindel looked at him with an unreadable expression, the faces of the two other elves were stony. One of the two was Geldarion, the captain of the group Glorfindel had sent out to ascertain the situation at the High Pass. The other was Talven, the scouts´ healer.

Elrond took a deep breath. He didn’t need to be a mind reader to sense that not all had gone according to plan. The presence of the three elves standing before his desk at this late hour stated as much.

However it was not Geldarion´s presence that increased the healer’s concern, it was the presence of the healer. He had trained this elf himself and had been pleased with the passion Talven had shown while learning the skills needed for the profession.

Before the silence could grow uncomfortable Glorfindel cleared his throat.

“My Lord, Captain Geldarion and Talven have just returned from their mission. Their findings require immediate action and I deemed it proper to have them report to you despite the late hour.”

Elrond only inclined his head. If Glorfindel considered this meeting necessary then he had every reason to believe him. He gestured in the direction of comfortable chairs in front of the hearth. After all four elves had taken their seats Elrond looked at the taut faces.

“Well?” was all he said while looking back at Glorfindel. The Troop Commander nodded.

“Unfortunately the reports of increased orc activity were not exaggerated. We have two dead to mourn. But the deaths are not the worst that Geldarion and Talven have to report,” Glorfindel began before he looked towards Geldarion to continue the tale.

The captain acknowledged the prompt from his commander and looked at the Master Healer.

“My Lord, as soon as we had crossed over the pass a great band of orcs attacked us. If I had not known better, it almost seemed as if they had been waiting for us. Apart from a few minor injuries we were able to repel them.

“After exploring the area we discovered well-concealed caves and many hiding places from which the orcs were able to attack unsuspecting travellers. They had made good use of the terrain and used every opportunity the narrow path gave them to ambush everyone passing.

“On the second day another attack occurred and again the orcs surprised us with an effective and well thought out strategy; very uncommon for them. But then something happened that completely mystified us and that’s the reason why we thought you must hear of this, my Lord.”

Still waiting for specifics, Elrond shifted to look at Talven after nodding his thanks at Geldarion. He knew that the healer would now pick up the story.

Talven took a deep breath before he met the gaze of his Lord.

“Calen was killed after an orc blade cut deeply into his side. The blood loss and bodily damage was too great. I could only ease his passing.”

Elrond did not react outwardly to this statement even though he had clearly heard the intended apology. Elrond knew Talven well enough to know that the healer had done everything within his power and if there would have been a chance to rescue the injured warrior then Talven would have done it. He was expert enough to cope with the loss of a patient. Yet he also sensed that they had still not come to the core of the problem.

When Talven did not elaborate Elrond leaned forward.

“Talven, why did the second warrior die?” he asked. The healer’s head jerked up but when he looked into his Lord’s passionate eyes he relaxed. Elrond’s gaze held no accusation, only curiosity.

“Gaerion died after being hit by a poisoned arrow,” he hurried to answer the unspoken question. As the healer’s frown deepened, Talven continued.

“I know it sounds unbelievable but Gaerion died within an hour after being struck. Even before I had the chance to remove the arrow he was dead!”

Now his voice was exasperated but Elrond still said nothing.

When Talven reported that the unfortunate warrior had died so quickly he did not doubt it, yet this speed was unnerving. He had never heard of or experienced a poison this potent before. Now he understood why his colleague was wrought up.

Many poisons – and he had explored a lot of different sorts – were highly reactive and their influence malicious, but he had never before heard of a victim dying within an hour. This was new and had the Master Healer highly concerned.

Feeling all eyes on him Elrond addressed the warriors, looking at Talven.

“This is worrying news indeed! Talven, have you preserved the arrow?”

The healer nodded. “Yes, my Lord, it’s right here in my bag,” he answered patting the leather pouch slung over the arm of the chair.

Elrond nodded and stood. The other three elves quickly rose to their feet as well.

“Captain Geldarion, Talven, thank you for bringing this grave information to me as quickly as you have. This conversation must not leave this room. I will pay my condolences to the families when morning arrives. Glorfindel - a word?”

Having been dismissed, the two warriors left after bowing, leaving the Troop Commander behind.

For long moments the two Elf-Lords said nothing while they were lost in their own thoughts. Finally Glorfindel turned toward the Master Healer.

“Elrond, I have to inform the men. I have to answer their questions. What information can I share?”

The healer sighed. He didn’t want to spread a panic just yet; however the uncommon death of Gaerion could not be kept secret for long.

Elrond’s eyes showed his determination. “Inform the border guards of the new threat, but pull our troops back from all unnecessary forays until I have at least an idea of what this new poison is and how it works.”

Glorfindel nodded and left the room. He knew that the news of the new menace threatening their valley could not be contained for long.

To be continued………………………..





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List