Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Celeritas' Birthday Bash 2012  by Celeritas

Dear Mr. Bilbo,

I’d thought, as Mr. Frodo had, as you’d be here by now, with the other folk from Rivendell.  There’s all sorts of things I’d had my heart set on telling you, but seeing as you aren’t here right now, I thought I’d write it down instead.

Your Frodo is safe, as I promised I’d keep him, but I couldn’t quite keep him sound.  Too much for anybody to promise, I know that now, but I didn’t at the time and so I wanted to say I was sorry.

He’s doing better now, I’ll have you know—I was right afeared for him in Mordor, and for myself, too.  And it’s probably nothing that more time and rest won’t cure, but I still worry sometimes.

It makes me feel better somehow, knowing that you were worrying, too.  And Mr. Merry and Mr. Pippin, of course, I can’t forget about them, but—

Well, it just does me right to think back to lessons with you and Mr. Frodo, and anyone with eyes could see what you meant to each other.

So, yes, I’m sorry, but I’ll do my best to keep getting him better and so will you.  It’d do him good, seeing you again.  Mind you, it’d do me good, too.

I keep on thinking about that—Gollum.  We traveled a long way with him, I’ll have you know.  Mr. Frodo pitied him, and he needed a guide, and he was treacherous as a snake, but—

I wanted to kill him.  He meant to murder me, and Mr. Frodo, all for the sake of his Precious, but I couldn’t.  Mr. Frodo says it’s because I pitied him, and since he ended up saving Mr. Frodo in the end (through no fault of his own, I’ll have you know!) we ought to forgive him.

Mr. Frodo certainly has.  I don’t understand it.  I don’t understand him half the time—never could, really, only now it’s worse.  It’s just—

I can’t forgive him, Mr. Bilbo.  Not after what he tried to do—not after what he did—to my master.  He was a wretch, and sure, he was made worse by the Ring, and it twists you, so it would have twisted him, but—well, you’ll see when you see Mr. Frodo.  And I know as you couldn’t kill him neither, but you’ll see him, and—maybe you could understand?  And help?

Because I know Mr. Frodo’s right, and I should, but I can’t forgive him.  Not yet.

Yr. Humble Servant,

S. Gamgee





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List