Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Frodo was awakened the next morning by his stomach—always a sign of a good day.  The minute he sat up, though, his head throbbed.  He sighed—what a pity he’d gotten himself injured last night, for at least he’d know then how much further he’d taken things!  As it was, he could not tell how much of his headache was due to drink and how much was due to the nasty bump on his head.

Merry, he was pleasantly surprised to discover, was not hung over from the previous evening, but Pippin had drunk enough for both of them and was not particularly happy.  Sam was, as usual, a marvel, giving him and Pippin both some kind of tea for headaches (drink-induced or not) and toast until they were well enough for a proper breakfast.

“You didn’t make good on your promise, Pippin,” said Frodo.

“What?”

Frodo pointed to his trousers.

“Oh, right!  I had seriously thought of it, but I’d have to have washed it first; you wouldn’t have believed the filth that was in that nest!”

Merry turned to Frodo and mouthed, “Burn it!”

Frodo just shook his head.

Over breakfast, the four hobbits exchanged their accounts of the prior night’s escapades, and Merry and Pippin were only too happy to fill in everything else.

“And what of the progress you’ve made?” said Merry.

“You saw how much of it there was yesterday,” said Frodo.  “Suffice it to say that, thanks to Sam, I shall never have to revisit those vile memories again.”

“That’s good.”

“Would—would you care to have a look?”

Merry and Pippin hesitated.

“I wouldn’t mind,” said Frodo.  “It’s a saner accounting of things than I could have given, and, truth be told, than I have.”

“We’d love to, then,” Merry said fervently.

“Not for too long, though, begging your pardon,” said Sam.  “Afore any of you was up, one of the King’s messengers came by and asked us to go and meet the Khandis in half an hour.”

“The Khandis?”

“He and his men asked to be let in at sunup.  Thought you’d rather sleep than see it.”

“Thank you, Sam,” said Frodo.  He pushed his empty plate away.  On the way to the study, though, he took Merry by the arm and said quietly, “I haven’t forgotten.”

“What?”

“The rules for proper conduct towards ladies.  Specifically, the rule that goes, ‘don’t kiss anyone you’re not intending to marry.’”

“Honestly, it wasn’t anything like th—”

Merry faltered at the look in Frodo’s eye.  “I’m sorry?”

“We’ll discuss this later.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List