Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

What is the meaning of this?” said Imrahil.

Lothíriel began to weep again.  “Father?  You heard not my scream?”

Faramir had followed them inside—he felt he had a responsibility to—and so he caught the brief, knowing look that Imrahil flashed at his daughter before taking her hands in his.

“Lothíriel,” he said gently, “I heard something but faintly, and I did not realize it was you.  Tell me, what could have happened to you to make you so distressed?”

Amrothos, Elphir, and Erchirion had all gathered behind him, and were casting intimidating looks at Éomer.  Faramir felt pity for him.

“He kissed me,” said Lothíriel, “when I did not give my consent to be kissed, and has so maligned my honor…”  She tugged the collar of her dress back in place—she must have bared her shoulder when Éomer was not looking, for Faramir had not seen his hands on her—and buried her head in her hands.

Imrahil put his hand firmly on Éomer’s shoulder.  “We shall discuss this matter in private, Éomer King.”  His voice was laced with steel.  “In private,” he repeated to his sons, “though if you three wish to hold similar conferences after we are done, I will not bar you from it.”

He began to lead Éomer from the room.  On the way out, Éomer opened his mouth, but Imrahil stayed him.  “Were I you,” he said, “I should not say what you are about to say.  My daughter is an honorable woman, and nothing she could do would induce such behavior as you have demonstrated this evening.”

Éowyn put her arm around Lothíriel’s.  “Come,” she said, not unkindly.  “I would lief ease your pain.”  Together, the two of them left the company, where, Faramir was sure, they would both burst into peals of laughter.

“My lord?” said one of the lesser ladies—he believed she was from Lossarnach.  “Did the King Éomer really just do that?”

Faramir looked at her gravely.  “My cousin does not lie,” he said.  Excusing himself from the company, he went back outside and folded his arms grimly.  His father, he hoped, would be proud of him for the way he had handled this day’s affairs.

And as for his mother—her memory would be satisfied if Éomer learned from today never to underestimate a woman again.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List