Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Éowyn found her betrothed standing in the back ways to the Citadel, monitoring the passage of several barrels within.  It was not, precisely, the most honorable place for lovers to meet, but she was functioning mainly as a conspirator today, and the level of traffic made impropriety impossible.  Faramir noticed her walking toward him, but he held up his hand and then went to a man who was ambling alongside two barrels being rolled up the slope with some effort.

“Only one barrel will be necessary,” he said firmly.

“Aye,” said the innkeeper, “only one barrel per ‘the best we’ve got,’ and we’ve got two best, an ale so pale and clear, one sip will take you to the crest of—”

One barrel.”

“—And the other one, brown and rich, practically a meal in and of itself—”

“Good master, we are only paying you for one barrel.”

“Well, then, t’other is on the house!  And when word gets out—”

Faramir sighed, thanked the innkeeper for his generosity, and returned to his former place.  Éowyn laid her hand on his arm.

“Given this day’s penchant for chaos, and innmen’s penchant for exaggeration, I thought it best to supervise this aspect of the preparations myself.”

“Was that a tactical withdrawal, then?”

“Those occupying the highest positions must never turn down a gift,” he said.  “They must only find ways to put them out of the way quietly, when the giver is not looking.  Fortunately no one has yet tried to flood the entire party with his own wares.”

“Yet,” said Éowyn.

Faramir nodded.  “Thank you for managing your brother for me,” he said.

“It was my very joy to help you,” Éowyn said coldly.  “And not solely because you wanted it.  Whatever lesson Éomer King learns tonight will be his desert.  I’ve alerted your cousin, and she spent the last half hour telling me what she meant to do.”  Her lips curled into a thin smile.

“Should I be concerned?”

Éowyn shrugged.  “You know her better than I do.”

“I should be concerned, then.”

“If you do not think you will like the outcome, then perhaps you should not have involved her.”

Faramir shook his head.  “No.  That insult reached far beyond me.”  He turned to her.  “Might I ask what her plans are?”

“Now, my lord, that would hardly be fair.  If you cannot guess, perhaps you should take it as a lesson.”

Faramir cast her a querulous glance.

Éowyn sighed.  “Even in the Riddermark,” she said, “so many ways of waging war are barred to women.  I fought it one way.  Lothíriel fights it another.”





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List