Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

“That was a very impressive lie,” said Faramir, once Pippin had left.

“I know,” said Merry.  “How could you tell?”

“They say I am a good judge of hearts.  You?”

“I’m a good judge of Pippin.  I had better go after him and see what he’s really on about.  Do you understand my plan?”

“Yes, and I think it may work.  You have more than atoned for your misstep earlier.”

“Good.”

Merry found Pippin in the King’s study, standing on a stool and bending over the desk in such a way that Merry was quite relieved he had come up with putting trousers underneath the pillow-skirt.  He cleared his throat.  Pippin jolted bolt upright, spun around, and nearly lost his footing.

“Oh!  It’s you, Merry.”

“Was it the powder that clued you in, or was it my height?”

Pippin jumped down from the stool.  “I thought you were busy.”

“Not too busy to look into cousinly mischief.  What have you gotten yourself into this time?”

This time?  I’m hurt, Merry, that you would leap to such a conclusion!”

Merry checked a sigh of exasperation.  Pippin knew full well that his innocent act didn’t work on him.  “Then why did you ask me to look in on Frodo earlier?”

Because,” said Pippin, “he needs looking in on!  I shouldn’t have to lecture you on that!”

“Look, Pip, Faramir’s not here, so if you’re worried about him overhearing, you needn’t.  What is going on?”

Pippin smiled sweetly and put his arm around Merry.  “My dear cousin, nothing is going on, just as I am at the moment slidingnothing into the seat of your pants.”

Merry’s eyes widened as what felt like a loose roll of paper was pushed down his waistband, whence it coolly settled against his buttocks.  “I really think you should tell me…”

“See?” said Pippin brightly, clapping him on the back.  “Nothing going on!  Now, don’t you think you had better see how Frodo is?”

“Yes, Pippin,” Merry said flatly.  “I had better.”  He turned and stalked out of the room, trying and utterly failing to ignore the sensation that something which had no business being next his bum was currently making itself quite at home there.  On his way out, he saw guards rushing in, and decided that he really did not want to know.

You owe me an entire yard of beer at the Golden Perch when we get home, Pip.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List