Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Vairë Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

“I believe,” said Pippin confidentially as he escorted Míriel through the gate to the Houses, “that when the time comes you will have no difficulty in securing yourself a husband.  Your powers of charm exceed even mine, and believe me, that is a high compliment.”  Bergil and his friends had insisted on nothing less than a full escort, as with one of the Queen’s maidens, back to the Sixth Circle.

Míriel laughed faintly.  “Nay, it is I who am in your debt, my lord.  It was you who managed to shame them into some semblance of nobility.”

“Yes, and they shall need little shaming as they grow older, if they were raised properly.  You shall do well, I assure you.”  He bent over and kissed her hand.

“You will let me thank you in this, however,” said Míriel.  “For a few brief hours I forgot my grief, and that was through no doing of mine.”

“Oh,” said Pippin, and his face clouded over.  “Well, let me assure you, I’ve had plenty of experience in that this past year.”  Then he brightened.  “I am glad I could help.”

Just then he heard the peal of bells from the Citadel.  The delegations were over.  “And that, fair Míriel, is my cue to leave you.  I wish you well in all your endeavors.”  Then, with a bow, he darted away.

There was only one gate to the Houses of Healing.  Pippin crept up to it as silently as he could, even though he knew that Strider had ears almost as good as an elf’s.  Nothing.

He leaned forward to peer around the gate, fully expecting a fell hand to descend upon his ear at any time.  Again, nothing.  Somehow he doubted that the King would be able to conceal himself in that gold dress, so thatwas not a concern to-day.  With a sigh, he stepped back inside, and exited the gate.

That was odd.  There was nothing out of the ordinary—except, of course, for the stares, which were actually normally quite normal for the Halfling heroes.  So, thought Pippin, either His Majesty has something else up his sleeve, or something else came up in the meantime and he cannot yet give me chase in person.  If the former, he was a dead hobbit anyway.  If the latter…

Pippin broke out into a trot down the street, hoping against hope that his lodgings would not be guarded.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List