Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Vairė Was a Weaver, or, Real Men Wear Corsets  by Celeritas

Khand!  Even the name had a marvelous flair to it, a strange foreign taste that lingered on the tongue.  What was known about it?  The loremasters trawled the Great Library, but found little.  It had been allied with Mordor, but Mordor was no more.  The Easterlings had sued for peace, Harad had sued for peace, and even Umbar had sued for peace.  But no one knew about Khand.  Perhaps they would discover they had nothing in common with these Men of the West, and would choose to fight.  It would be folly, but Gondor did not want another war.

At least they had sent a delegation.

The people of the city lined the streets along all seven circles when the heralds announced the approach of the Khandians.  Children tried to get a peep between the legs of adults, who hastily pushed them back.  Nobody was sure what the people of Khand were going to do, even if the negotiations were going to be peaceful.

But there was nothing to worry about.  The men may have been different, but they were not hostile yet.  Their horses were fiery, and those riding upon them had darker skin and black eyes, but all swords were sheathed, peace-tied, and well out of any reach.  They were clothed strangely, in loose-fitting bright-colored garments, and their eyes were outlined in black.  The ambassador spoke in a thick accent, and, after some discussion, the procession began.  Up and up through the circles they wound, until finally, they were formally greeted by the king and his queen in the seventh, and shown their accommodations.  Formal negotiations would start in two bells, which would give the guests enough time to relax from their journey.  Only then would the tensions truly begin.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List