Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

B2MeM 2011 Ficlets  by Eärillë

Title: The Answer

Author: Eärillë

Rating: G

Warning: First Draft

Summary:
Elves said that death was a gift to Men-kind; but not all Men believed it, ever seeking to disprove it. Tohren wanted to be one of the few who did so.

Genre: Character Study, Gapfiller

Place and Timeline: Middle-earth (undescribed), Middle Second Age (undescribed)

Characters: Annatar, OMC Númenorian chieftain

Words (in MS Word): 290

Point of view: Third Person Limited, Past Tense

 

  1. Challenge: Day 11: Himring:
    "Peace demands the most heroic labor and the most heroic sacrifices." Thomas Merton. Write a story or poem or create artwork where characters make sacrifices in order to achieve their goals.

Story Notes:
Annatar is, of course, Sauron. But we are not provided with the name of his Nazgûl, only that one of them was once called Khamûl. So I made this one up.

Author’s Notes:
I do not know if the timeline is right. Please tell me if I did it wrong. And here is my attempt to write something based on something I do (not) have an interest in. I hope you will enjoy it all the same; and pardon the twisted answer to the theme.
Sincerely,
Rey

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The smile was sweet and honest in seeming. Tohren hesitated. He was quite tempted by what Annatar offered him.

Immortality! Who in the race of Men did not wish for immortality? The Elves mocked them all by the prattle about death as Eru’s gift to Men. It was so easy for them – they were immortals! But few Men would pursue this ambitious goal.

Could he acquire himself a place among the said few people? Would he?

He was one of the chieftains trusted to rule their overseas holdings by the King of Númenor himself. He had a beautiful and charming wife and delightful, intelligent children, as well as privileged authority and a great wealth. Would he sacrifice them all for this one chance?

Annatar smiled encouragingly, hopefully, at him from his seat across the low table of his parlour. The beautiful diamond ring, glittering with the reflection of the lamp hanging above them, still sat invitingly on the centre of the table, and Tohren could not help laying a covetous look on it once in a while. The ring was his key to immortality and more power and wealth than what he had now, Annatar had said, and this was but a one-stand offer.

Tohren could not stand the thought of the ring passing to another man, just because he was too cowardly to take it for himself. He would not be able to suffer dying knowing that someone else had the immortality he so desired.

With a smile torn between sadness, glee and determination, he leant forward slightly on his seat and picked up the ring. He fitted it to his middle finger, and admired the look of it on his hand for a moment.

He was immortal now.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List