Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

If It's Trewsday It Must Be Buckland...  by Dreamflower

 March 16, 2011 Challenge:
A gentle breeze brushed the hilltop, combing the ruins...
 
Write a story or poem that starts with this line or create a piece of art that reflects this line.
 
 Author's Note: This is an AU sequel to my story "Clear Conscience (the Clear Shot Remix)" , which in turn was a remix of Claudia603's story "Clear Shot". In Claudia’s original story, Boromir and Faramir make a journey to the north in their youth, where they meet and become friends with a young Frodo. In my remix, Boromir already knows Frodo when he sees him in Rivendell, and because of his friendship with Frodo is able to resist the lure of the Ring, though just barely. He also survives the attack at Parth Galen...

Clear View
 
A gentle breeze brushed the hilltop, combing the ruins that stood atop Amon Hen.  Frodo lifted his face to the wind and felt its cool caress upon his cheeks.  "I was so frightened and felt so alone the last time I stood here," he said to his companions.  "I knew I needed to leave."  He turned and looked up at the tall Man who stood at his side.  "If I had not heard your struggle, and realised what the Ring was putting you through I do not believe I would ever have found the courage to leave the rest of you behind."
 
"I know you have said so, Frodo," said Boromir.  "And I have accepted that it was for the best, that you overheard me as I tried to resist the temptation of the Ring.  For long I felt a failure that I had listened to it at all."
 
Frodo shook his head.  "And I felt a failure for many reasons-- but I think that now I understand much that I did not understand before."
 
His other companion knelt, placing an arm around Frodo's shoulders.  "We all understand much we did not understand ten years ago.  But thanks to you and thanks to our King, we no longer have to fear the dark.  The Kingdoms have been renewed, and we can enjoy the light."
 
"Thank you, Faramir."  Frodo turned and looked once more at the view.  "I was in no position to appreciate this magnificent view then. I am glad that we returned this year for the celebration-- it is a good reminder that our efforts were not in vain."
 
"Indeed, Frodo," said Faramir, "they were never in vain, even had the Enemy won then, the efforts to stop him would yet have been worthy in their own right."
 
Boromir shook his head and smiled wryly at Frodo and Faramir.  "Enough solemnity!  Our friends await us below, and there are fish to be found in the Anduin.  I've a wager on with our King, you know, as to which of us shall take the largest!"
 
Frodo and Faramir exchanged a look.  "Hmmph," Frodo said crossing his arms.  "You'd think that the King and his Steward would have enough sense to avoid wagers, wouldn't you, my Lord Prince?"  He glanced at Faramir, who suppressed his smile, and managed to look almost as stern as Frodo.
 
"I am afraid that sense in that regard is not one of my brother's virtues.  The King is not much better.  But I believe the instigator of the wager is your cousin."
 
Frodo looked at Boromir, who nodded.  Then the brothers winced as Frodo bellowed: "MERRY!" and began to hurry down the hill.
 
 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List