Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

If It's Trewsday It Must Be Buckland...  by Dreamflower

  March 6, 2011 Challenge:
Greed is good! Write a story or poem or create artwork that will prove or disprove this statement.
 
(A drabble-and-a-half; 150 words)
 


A Light Lunch
 


 
Pippin sighed in satisfaction, hefting the basket over his arm:  a nice bottle of perry*, chicken-and-mushroom pasties, cucumber sandwiches, carrots, apples, a goodly-sized wedge of golden yellow cheese, some of those lovely little sweet fried breads with the holes in them, crisp biscuits flavoured with honey and cinnamon, and a handful of hard peppermints, wrapped in twists of paper.  Whistling cheerily, he ambled off to the convenient hiding place he'd found beneath some shrubbery in a  corner of one of Rivendell's many gardens.  Frodo and Sam were taking their lunch with Bilbo in his quarters, while Merry, ensconced with the maps in Elrond's library had ignored his hints of hunger.  Ah well, it wasn't his fault that the Elven cooks thought he was picking up a picnic for all five of them.  He'd never actually said so!  Since he’d done just that before, they simply assumed…
 
Sometimes greed was good.
 
 
 
(*Perry is an alcoholic drink made of pears, as cider is made of apples.)





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List