Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Spectrums  by Eärillë

Genre: Family

Rating: G

Summary: She could not travel back to where she had been born and reared, not now: that handsome, twilit land. But her foster father had provided her this sign of hope…

Notes: The storylet is told in the style of “Stay With Me.” And in my universe, Ossë is the foster father of Eärwen.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing and nobody was in sight, save the ever-present, ever-moving sea and the rows of beautiful “ships,” gifted to her people for their transport from the Lonely Isle to the mainland by the People of the Sea. But something had guided Eärwen’s feet from the construction site of what to be her family’s home to a secluded beach some distance from where the ships were harboured.

And there, moored to an honest, sturdy post-wood standing on a small pier, another ship lay cradled by the gentle waves, embraced by the small sandy bay, alone and peerless in its smallness. She would have denied that it was at all related to her, except for the fact that the three small sails the ship owned glittered just like her hair under starlight.

Her foster father had asked for a chunk of her hair before they had departed the Lonely Isle. He had not explained what the tresses would be used for…

A concentration of energy solidified around her, embracing her, and a rough-but-beautiful male voice laughed. `Someday,` he promised.

`Someday,` she promised to herself. Someday this tiny vessel would bring her back to her birthland.

It was a token. It was enough.





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List