Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Across Arda's Ages  by Rhyselle

Nov 28:  Birthday (Fourth Age 64, Minas Tirith, Gondor)


The elderly hobbit patted the bench on which he sat, inviting Barahir to join him. “Here you are, my boy,” Pippin said, offering the ten-year-old a be-ribboned box.

“But--I’m supposed to give a gift to you,” the lad protested even as his fingers curled around the gift.

“Your grandfather has been neglecting your education dreadfully!  Hobbits, you see, give presents on our birthdays to show our affection for our friends and family.” Pippin puffed on his pipe and reached far back in his memory. “Now the most magnificent birthday celebration ever was when my cousin Bilbo Baggins turned eleventy-one….“


A/N: According to the Tale Of Years, in FA 63, Pippin and Merry gave up their positions in the Shire as Thain and Master of Buckland to their sons and traveled east to Rohan, where they were with Eomer at his deathbed.  in FA 64 they traveled to Gondor, where they spent the remaining years of their lives.  At the time of this drabble, Pippin is turning 95 years old, and Merry is about 102 years old.  Tolkien never said what years they died, nor if one pre-deceased the other.  But both were laid to rest in the House in the Rath Dinen, and when Aragorn finally passed away in Fourth Age 120, their bodies were moved to lay on either side of his tomb in the House of the Kings.  Barahir is presumed to be the son of Elboron and grandson of Faramir, and was the purported author of the story of Aragorn and Arwen's courtship in the Tale of Years.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List