Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Across Arda's Ages  by Rhyselle


Nov 24: Solstice (Seventh Age, Current Year, Wiseman, Alaska)


The last tour group had returned to Wiseman from Santa’s Grotto, and Mr. and Mrs. Claus joined Glorfindel in the circle of Elves and Men beneath the stars.

Glorfindel, like the rest, held a candle in his hand, although only his was lit.  A few minutes before midnight he spoke. “We come to acknowledge the Night, but also, more importantly, to hold fast to the promise that Day will follow the darkness.  Auta i lómë!” He touched the flame of his candle to that on his left.  As the light passed from hand to hand, the rest responded, “Aurë entuluva!”


A/N:  This drabble was inspired by two fanfics written by Fiondil, which are found at the Stories of Arda fanfiction archive.  The setting takes place as a “missing moment” in Elf Academy http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlistview.asp?SID=6388.  The ceremony itself was inspired by the Winter Solstice ceremony described in Elf, Interrupted: Book One: Glorfindel Redux, (Chapter 89) http://www.storiesofarda.com/chapterlistview.asp?SID=5080.  This drabble is posted with Fiondil's approval and permission. 

Auta i lómë!: "The night is passing!" Fingon cried these words before the Battle of Unnumbered Tears, to which his men responded, "Utúlie’n aurë!," which means, "The day has come!"  At the end of that battle, the mortal Hurin of the House of Hador, who refused to admit defeat and served as the rearguard for Turgon, King of Gondolin, allowing him and the surviving Elves to escape, cried out “Aurë entuluva!” which means "Day will come again!"





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List