Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Across Arda's Ages  by Rhyselle

Nov 17: Boots  (TA 3019, December, Rivendell)


“Why should we weigh down our packs with boots, of all things?” Pippin picked up the offending footwear and made a face. “I'd think by now, they'd know we don't wear shoes.”

When he made to toss them aside, Boromir caught his arm and shook his head. “Take them anyway, Pippin. If nothing else, if you don't use them, you can trade them away once we get to Gondor.”

Skeptical, Pippin stuffed them into the bottom of his pack. “If you say so, big man.”

“I do.”

On Caradhras' snowy slopes, he was glad he had listened to Boromir's counsel.


A/N: I, personally, don't believe that hobbits never wear shoes or protective footwear. No matter how tough your soles, extended exposure to snow and sub-freezing weather will cause pain and damage. Sometimes shoes, boots or pattens will be a necessity, even for hobbits. Elrond knew they planned to go over Caradhras, so I believe that he would have provided protective footwear for that part of the journey, even if Professor Tolkien never actually mentioned it in the text.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List