Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

In Darkness Bound  by Fiondil

30: At the Wedding Feast

Intarion and Lirulin were escorted to the high table where Ingwë and Elindis presided over the feast. The table was crescent-shaped set on a dais one step up from the floor. Intarion’s parents sat on the other side of Elindis, while Lirulin’s parents were seated beside Ingwë. The six witnesses along with Ingwion, Ingalaurë, Indis and Telemnar were also seated at the high table with Ingwion at one end of the crescent and his twin at the other. Much to his chagrin, Findaráto found himself seated between his anamillë Indis and Tinwetariel, though he much preferred to be seated next to Amarië, but she was at the other end of the table, seated between Nolondur and Telemnar.

The Noldorin and Telerin royal families were seated at the two tables immediately below the high table. Findaráto happened to catch his ammë’s eyes as he gazed wistfully at his family gathered together. She saw where he was sitting and gave him a sympathetic smile. He couldn’t help smiling back and gave her a resigned shrug.

"Sit up straight, Findaráto," Indis said sharply. "Remember, you’re in public and...."

"You have to maintain a proper image," Findaráto muttered, echoing the very words his anammë was speaking, even as he straightened his spine. If she heard him, she deigned not to notice.

Tinwetariel, however, had. "An insolent child," she said with a smirk over his head at Indis.

Ingoldo, sitting on the other side of his wife, leaned over to speak. "Indeed he is, interfering where he has no business being."

Findaráto gave both of them a cool stare. "Intarion deserves to be happy, Ingoldo. That seems to be something neither of you wish for your own son, though I fail to see why. Do you truly hate him that much?"

The looks of shock on Ingoldo’s and Tinwetariel’s faces were real. "We do not hate our son," Tinwetariel hissed. "We do, however, think he could have done better." She stole a glance at the happy couple, scowling at Lirulin. "Wine merchant’s daughter, indeed."

"Nolondur is a noble, Tinwetariel," Indis said smoothly, "and he is not the only one to indulge himself in other more productive pursuits besides hunting and feasting and quarreling."

"And Lirulin is a respected musician and teacher at the Academy," Findaráto added. "I would not be surprised if Lord Manwë eventually admits her to his service. Having a Manwenduriën in one’s family can only be to your benefit."

"We are already in Lord Manwë’s service," Ingoldo stated categorically.

"Well, Ingwë certainly is," Indis said, "and his children to a certain degree, but I don’t recall that you were ever interested in learning anything Lord Manwë was willing to teach us. You’ve never accompanied Ingwë to Ilmarin for his weekly audience with the Valar. Indeed, until yesterday, I doubt either of you have stepped foot in Ilmarin since the Presentation ceremony for Intarion."

"That is neither here nor there, Sister," Ingoldo said with a scowl.

Indis gave them an elegant shrug, then turned her eyes on Findaráto who had remained quiet during this exchange. "And speaking of lessons, how are yours coming along, Indyo?"

"Lord Aulë is pleased with my progress," he said, realizing he had not actually answered his anamillë’s question but not wishing to go into any detail.

Indis gave him a shrewd look. "I understand there was some trouble in the market not long ago and you were somehow involved."

Findaráto blushed and busied himself with pushing his food around his plate, not wishing to discuss the incident.

Naturally, Tinwetariel had her own opinion about it all. "He practically instigated a riot, he and the twins," she said with a smirk.

"I was not the one who attacked Urundil," Findaráto retorted. "I was trying to help him."

"Regardless, it was disgraceful for you and the twins to be involved in a common brawl," Tinwetariel rejoined with a supercilious sniff. "After all, as a prince of Eldamar, you have a certain image to maintain."

"Is that all that matters to you, Tinwetariel, maintaining an image, whether it is beneficial to others or not?" Findaráto said, his expression shrewd. "Should we not rather be concerned with what is just and act accordingly and not worry about what others think? Is this why you and Ingoldo have been so against Intarion wedding Lirulin, because you think that others will now look down at you because your son has married a — how did you put it? — a wine merchant’s daughter?" Neither Tinwetariel nor Ingoldo answered. "Look around you, Tinwetariel," Findaráto continued. "Do you see anyone here who disparages the union and thinks less of your son, or you and Ingoldo, because he has married Lirulin?"

He gestured towards the center of the high table where several of Ingwë’s courtiers were gathered in front of the couple, speaking animatedly with them and the High King and Queen, offering the couple their congratulations. There was a spate of laughter from the group and they saw Lord Castamir reach over to kiss Lirulin’s hand before the courtiers returned to their seats. Castamir and Almáriel stopped before Nolondur and Yáviën to speak with them. The two couples exchanged glad greetings and it was obvious to those watching that they were friends. Yáviën rose from her seat and leaned over the table so that she and Almáriel could exchange kisses, while the two ellyn clasped hands warmly.

Then, Lady Lindórië and Lord Lassezel made their way towards Ingoldo and Tinwetariel. "A lovely wedding," Lindórië said sincerely.

"Indeed," Lassezel said. "You should be very proud of your son. He and Lirulin make a lovely couple and I am glad that Nolondur has agreed to return to Ingwë’s court. He has ever been wise in the ways of the people and I have missed his insights."

"Oh yes," Lindórië said with a nod. "Nolondur is one of the best of us and I look forward to working with him again."

Findaráto watched with grim amusement as Ingoldo and Tinwetariel muttered their thanks, though neither looked particularly happy. Tinwetariel’s expression was politely blank while Ingoldo’s was cooly impassive. "No doubt he will be an asset to Ingwë," he said stonily. Findaráto doubted Ingoldo was sincere in his utterance.

Lindórië then turned to Findaráto with a sly grin. "I am sorry all your efforts in composing the wedding vows were wasted, Prince Findaráto. Perhaps you can use them for your own wedding instead."

Findaráto laughed. "I’ll have to keep that in mind, my lady, or perhaps I can convince Indil and Tam to use it at their wedding." Lindórië laughed gaily and Lassezel smiled.

"Indis," Lassezel said, turning to Ingwë’s sister, who held out her hand for him to kiss. "I am glad to see you again. I only wish Finwë could be here to share in the joy."

"Thank you, Lassezel," Indis said regally. "I have been told that Lord Manwë gave my husband permission to attend the wedding if he so desired, but he apparently did not wish to." She gave them a shrug. "He has ever been a stubborn fool."

"A pity what happened," Lindórië commented with a shake of her head. "Fëanáro strikes me as being very arrogant. His may well be one of the outstanding minds among us, but he is not the only one."

"I suspect losing his amillë as he did and at such a young age unsettled his mind somewhat," Lassezel said.

"It’s no excuse for his accusations against Ari," Indis said. "The Valar know I did my best to befriend Fëanáro when I married Finwë, but he would have none of it and Finwë, I fear, indulged the ellon his every whim."

"The terms of the exile were rather on the harsh side, I think," Ingoldo interjected, joining the conversation for the first time. "I mean, nothing really happened, did it? Ńolofinwë was not injured, after all."

"It was more than that, Ingoldo," Findaráto said. "Fëanáro broke the Valar’s Peace. I think they were as shocked by the incident as we, perhaps more so. Exiling Fëanáro for a time was probably the only thing they could think of to punish him. Nothing like this has ever happened before, and let us hope it does not happen again."

"Yet, do you truly believe that exiling Fëanáro will solve anything?" Ingoldo said unctuously. "If anything, the level of unrest among the Eldar has risen of late, not the reverse."

"Well, I think rumors that the trade agreement between our two peoples is useless and that markets are now scarce does not help the situation," Findaráto stated blandly, not looking directly at Ingoldo.

"Do you accuse me....?" Ingoldo started to protest.

"I accuse no one," Findaráto retorted, his eyes lit with an inner fire. "Yet, the rumors are there and the people are fearful that they will be unable to feed their families because they cannot sell their wares. A baseless fear, for neither Ingwë nor Uncle Ńolofinwë will permit anyone to starve, and I suspect that those spreading these rumors are well aware of this, but for purposes of their own they have decided to lie, besmirching the High King’s honor."

There was a tense silence between them all for a moment or two and then Valandur, who was seated on the other side of Indis and had kept one ear on their conversation while listening to Indil and Ingwion as they made humorous comments about some of the wedding guests, leaned towards Indis and spoke in a gently reprimanding tone. "Perhaps this is a discussion for another time, my lords and ladies. We are, after all, celebrating a wedding."

Indis gave him a considering look while Lindórië and Lassezel both gave him apologetic smiles, then made their way back to their seats. Findaráto returned to his meal, though he was no longer hungry and ignored the others around him. When there was a lull between removes he excused himself, taking up his wine goblet and went to where his parents were sitting and joined them. Aicanáro and Artanis had left the table to speak with Intarion and Lirulin, so the others shifted their seats around to give him room.

"Your anammë giving you a hard time, yonya?" Arafinwë asked, giving him a sympathetic smile.

"She and Tinwetariel," Findaráto said with a sigh. "I refuse to return to the high table. I would rather sit here with you and visit. We haven’t had much time together since you arrived."

Arafinwë looked about and, spying a page, motioned her to approach. "Prince Findaráto prefers to eat the rest of the feast with us. Please bring him a trencher and another chair. We’ll make room somehow."

The page bowed and shortly thereafter, she returned with a clean plate and eating utensils while another page brought a high stool. "I could not find another chair, lord," the page said apologetically.

Findaráto smiled at him. "That’s quite all right. This will be just fine, thank you." He took the stool, dismissing the pages and sat between his parents. The stool was just high enough that he appeared to be sitting in a chair.

"Are you comfortable perched on that, Cousin?" Turucáno asked with a laugh.

Findaráto shrugged. "It does not matter, so long as I don’t have to sit between Anammë and Tinwetariel."

There were chuckles all around. "What were you discussing?" Eärwen asked. "Everyone seemed rather tense."

"Nothing important and nothing that should be discussed at a wedding feast," Findaráto answered. "I would rather talk about something else."

"And what would you like to discuss?" Arafinwë asked his eldest child, raising an eyebrow.

For an answer, Findaráto leaned over and called down the table. "Uncle Ari, when we get back to Tirion can I be in charge of stockpiling the butteries?"

Ńolofinwë gave a start of surprise at the unexpectedness of the question and then burst into laughter. "Only if I put a guard on you, you young rascal. You’re likely to insist on tasting everything that the cooks make, if I know you." There was knowing laughter from the rest of the table as Findaráto grinned unrepentantly.

Then the conversation shifted to other topics of interest to the Noldorin royal family and the rest of the feast continued pleasantly. At one point Findaráto happened to look up at the high table and was surprised to see that his sister was sitting between Indis and Tinwetariel. She caught his eye just then and gave him a mischievous smile and a nod. He smiled back, nodding in return. Artanis and he understood one another perfectly. Indis must have caught the exchange, for she turned her eyes on him and gave him a disapproving look. Findaráto lowered his gaze, turning his attention to something that his brother Angaráto’s wife, Eldalótë, was saying and promptly forgot about his anammë.

****

After the feast there was dancing and singing and mingling among the guests. Findaráto danced the obligatory dance with his ammë, his sister and Lirulin and then excused himself to join his atar and Ńolofinwë outside in the garden where they were holding court with Ingwë and Olwë. The older Elves greeted him warmly.

"A very successful wedding," Ingwë said, "even if we didn’t get to hear the vows you wrote for the happy couple."

There was gentle laughter all around. "Lady Lindórië suggested I use them at my own wedding," Findaráto said, "though I think Indil and Tam wouldn’t mind using them. Indil was quite impressed when I showed them to her."

"When do you anticipate them becoming officially betrothed?" Olwë asked Ingwë.

"I have no idea," Ingwë said honestly. "I believe they are going to wait for a while. One royal wedding a year is more than enough."

There were nods all around. Then Findaráto cleared his throat and the others looked at him expectantly. "I have had a request from Lord Manwë," he said, looking at Arafinwë. "I told him I would make no decision on it until after I’d consulted with you and Uncle Ari."

"What sort of request?" Arafinwë asked, looking suddenly wary.

"The Valar are rather concerned over the state of unrest among the Noldor," Findaráto explained. "They wish for me to address our people whenever the opportunity presents itself and counsel calm. They seem to think that my powers of persuasion rival Uncle Fëanáro’s." He gave them a self-deprecatory shrug.

Ńolofinwë frowned. "Why do they think you will succeed where others have failed?" he asked, sounding frustrated and annoyed. "Do they think I am doing nothing to help bring peace to Tirion? Do not get me wrong, Nephew. I would appreciate your help in this matter, but I find it strange that the Valar would specifically ask you to accomplish this."

"They will not force me to do it, if I truly do not wish to," Findaráto said, "but I get the impression that they are hoping I will acquiesce to their wishes. At any rate, I will abide by whatever you and Atar decide. Oh, and Lord Aulë wishes me to go to Valmar after the wedding for a time."

"Oh?" Arafinwë asked. "I thought you were finished with your studies?"

"I am, or nearly so," Findaráto said, "but he still wishes me to join him there. I can hardly say no, can I?" He gave them a sardonic grin and the others smiled.

"I think it best to table the discussion about what the Valar would like you to do for them until you return to Tirion," Ńolofinwë said. "After all, if you are in Valmar for an indefinite period of time, you’re not going to be roaming the streets of the city counseling calm to the people, are you?"

Findaráto shook his head, then gave his uncle a sly look. "I still want to be in charge of the butteries, though, so please don’t give that task to anyone else."

"But overseeing the butteries and keeping them sufficiently stocked is such a grave responsibility," Ńolofinwë said in feigned seriousness. "I can’t appoint just anyone to the position, you know."

Findaráto stuck his tongue out at his uncle and the others started laughing. Then, Ingwë asked Olwë how the Telerin fishing fleets were doing and the conversation drifted into other topics.

****

It was nearly the time of First Mingling and the wedding feast was still in progress, for most of the guests would remain to partake of the wedding breakfast that even now was being prepared. Intarion and Lirulin had retired some time before, though they would join their families for the breakfast feast.

A group of Vanyarin nobles were gathered together at one of the lower tables discussing various concerns of the kingdom, passing several bottles of wine around, which had been contributed by Nolondur. Lassezel, Castamir and Valandur were seated with him, along with Lords Súlimondil and Valacar, who happened to be cousins. Conversations throughout the feast hall were muted, so it was with some surprise when Valacar suddenly spoke up loudly enough for everyone in the hall to hear.

"I tell you, things are only going to get worse," he exclaimed. "The Valar should have exiled all the Noldor. They are nothing but trouble."

"Very true," Súlimondil replied just as loudly. "They are a plague on our people, bringing unrest among us. Ingwë should expel all Noldor from Vanyamar. Then we will be free from their taint."

Findaráto, seated with Amarië, the twins, Indil and Tamurilon, frowned and started to rise, but Ingalaurë grabbed him and pulled him down, shaking his head. All other conversations had ceased and Findaráto could see his Uncle Ńolofinwë sitting there with a pained expression on his face. His heart went out to his uncle, trying so hard to heal the breach that Fëanáro had caused and he felt anger towards the two Vanyarin nobles for their words. He looked around to see that a few of the Vanyarin guests were nodding in agreement and that angered him even more.

Ingwë spoke up at that point. "If We expel anyone from Vanyamar," he said coldly, speaking as High King, "it will be those who foment unrest among Our people with their lies and diatribes. We are aware of certain rumors being spread, rumors which are designed to bring fear to Our people. We will not countenance...."

"The Noldor walk around their city with... with... what was that word?... ah, shields," retorted Valacar, "and my sources tell me that they are forging weapons such as we used during the Great Journey to protect ourselves against wild beasts. Why do they need weapons here in Aman? Are we Vanyar a threat to them? Or the Teleri? Or the Valar?"

"And now with a goodly portion of the Noldor exiled to Formenos," Súlimondil added, "our markets are drying up, but you have forbidden us to raise our prices so we can recover our losses. Are we to starve for the next eleven years because of the damn Noldor?"

"No one is going to starve and you know it, Súlimondil," Valandur said. "That is pure foolishness. Ingwë will not allow it."

"True, I will not," Ingwë said sternly, his eyes narrowing in displeasure. "I do not appreciate others arrogating for themselves my prerogatives by spreading rumors about what I will or will not do. The people will have to learn to do without certain luxuries for a time, no doubt, but none will go hungry because they are unable to sell their products as they are used to."

"It would help matters if the Valar allowed even limited trade with those at Formenos," one of the other Vanyarin lords whom Findaráto did not know said in a reasonable tone. "They cannot be that self-sufficient and must lack certain essentials."

"True," Ingwë averred, "and I may address the issue at my next audience with Lord Manwë, but there is no guarantee that the Valar will allow this. Therefore, it behooves us to set an example for our people and treat everyone fairly and honorably and to dismiss the rumors that are designed only to foment further distress and unrest among us."

"That is easy for you to say, Ingwë," Valacar retorted with a snarl, standing to face the High King, swaying as he spoke, his words a little slurred. "I have to wonder where your loyalties lie. No sooner does Finwë leave Tirion than you are there at her gates instead of seeing to the needs of your own people, leaving children to run the kingdom in your stead. I’m surprised you didn’t simply declare yourself Noldóran and stay there."

The silence that followed Valacar’s diatribe was profound. It was obvious to many that the lord was more than a little drunk. Even his cousin, Súlimondil, looked distressed and attempted to pull him back down into his chair. Valacar resisted, swaying slightly. Findaráto stared dispassionately at the two lords. There was something not quite right about the whole scene, but he could not quite put his finger on it. Yet, he had a sense that somehow the entire episode had been orchestrated either by Valacar alone or with his cousin and he had to wonder at its purpose, beyond embarrassing Ingwë and the Noldor.

Ingwë sat there still as stone and all held their breaths, waiting for the explosion they knew must come. Then, without taking his eyes off Valacar, the High King spoke in a low tone devoid of any emotion. "Sérener," he said, calling to one of his chief guards, "remove Lord Valacar from Our presence and escort him to his home. Lord Súlimondil, perhaps it would be best if you accompanied your cousin and saw to his well-being."

Súlimondil went pale, his lips thinning with suppressed anger, but whether at Ingwë or his cousin, no one could say. He gave Ingwë a short bow and grabbed Valacar’s arm, practically dragging him away while the ellon protested.

"Keep your fool mouth shut, Cousin," Súlimondil snarled, "else you will find yourself in deeper trouble than you already are." Then they were gone and everyone started to breathe again.

Ingwë still did not move, his expression carved in stone, his eyes staring darkly at nothing in particular. Ńolofinwë stood and faced the High King, giving him a deep reverence. "Forgive me, Ingaran," he said. "I think perhaps our presence has only made things worse for you and the Vanyar. With your permission, we will leave as soon as possible."

Ingwë stirred, as if coming out of a deep reverie, and rose from his seat, coming down from the high table to stand before the young Noldo, embracing him. "There is naught to forgive, child," he said, giving Ńolofinwë a kiss on the brow, "and I do not give my permission for you and your family to depart earlier than was planned. You are welcome here, Ńolofinwë, you and all the Noldor. Áni hlarë Valar."

Ńolofinwë smiled. "Thank you, Uncle," he said fervently.

Ingwë nodded and then looked about him. "I am sorry you were a witness to this, my lords and ladies. Pray, think no further on it and return to your earlier merriment. I see that the cooks are already putting out the breakfast dishes. Let us enjoy this repast and forget our troubles for a time. Ah… I see that Intarion and Lirulin have joined us." He gave them both a smile as they entered, both looking immensely pleased with themselves. The others took their cue from Ingwë and welcomed the couple back and they made their way to the buffet.

Findaráto happened to be standing between Ingwion and Aicanáro who asked, "So, who were those two nobles Uncle Ingwë had removed?"

"Friends of Uncle Ingoldo," Ingwion said with a scowl.

"Speaking of which, where is he and Tinwetariel?" Findaráto asked, looking about.

"They both left some time ago," Ingwion answered with a shrug, not really caring.

"But not before Ingoldo spoke with Súlimondil and Valacar," Tamurilon, who was on Aicanáro’s other side, said. When Findaráto and Ingwion stared at the ellon in surprise, he nodded. "I saw them speaking together just before Ingoldo left. He seemed very pleased about something, at least I imagine, since he was smiling and I haven’t seen him smile in weeks."

Findaráto and Ingwion exchanged concerned looks and certain pieces of the puzzle began to fall into place for the Noldorin prince. "Tell your atar," he said firmly. "Did you ever speak to him about what we overheard at the tavern that day I was injured?"

Ingwion shook his head, looking chagrined. "In all the excitement and then the wedding... sorry."

"No need to apologize," the Noldorin prince said. "But don’t delay. Tell him today even if you must take him away from here to do it. Have Ingalaurë present to corroborate your story."

"Will you not come?" Ingwion asked.

Findaráto shook his head. "Coming from me it will sound to others as if I am purposely causing trouble, but coming from you...."

Ingwion nodded in understanding, then sighed. "I really hate this."

"We all do, Cousin," Findaráto said sympathetically. "Now, be a good ellon and move on down so I can get to the eggs."

Ingwion stuck his tongue out at him but he did move down the buffet, while Aicanáro and Tamurilon laughed.

****

Manwenduriën: (Female) Servant of Manwë, on the same order as the Aulenduri [see Chapter 26]. The masculine form would be Manwendur.

Indyo: Grandson.

Ingaran: Ingwë’s title as High King of All the Elves of Aman. When speaking only as King of the Vanyar, his title is then Vanyaran.

Áni hlarë Valar: ‘The Valar hear me’.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List