Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Sweet Gift  by Agape4Gondor

Chapter Two: Ensorcelled

Indis tried to sit with Frodo that night, but it was not possible. The hobbit’s companion, Gandalf called him Sam, was adamant. He would guard Frodo, though she noted his eyes were so heavy, she doubted he could last a half hour. He fell asleep doing it. She watched, through the open window, and smiled as his eyes closed.

“Indis.” Though spoken in low tones, she stiffened, turned immediately and bowed. “My Lord.”

“Walk with me.”

She bit her lip, tears sprang to her eyes, and fear filled her heart. “I am sorry, my Lord. I do not know what has overcome me. I cannot leave him.”

“There is a power here, Indis, that you do not understand. I guard these lands as well as I am able, but evil can come here. It stirs in your heart, even now.”

She paled, began to protest, but he held his hand up. “Walk with me.”

She tried, Elbereth how she tried, but her feet would not move.

He took her hand in his as she quailed before him. “Perhaps my touch will help.”

It did. Unaccountably, her heart lightened, her feet moved, and she found it easy enough to walk away. They turned towards Celebrian’s gardens. She smiled; she loved this place. The aroma of the flowers was potent this evening and soothed her. Her leg brushed up against a pale-yellow hyacinth bush and shook the scent from the flowers so that it engulfed her in its sweet perfume.

“Better?”

She nodded – and began to weep.

He sat down and motioned for her to join him on one of the lovely wood-carved benches that lay hidden in the midst of the dense foliage encompassing the garden. He took her hand and gently patted it. “I have trusted you, this past millennium, as my Chief Healer – and my friend. Your powers are great; your knowledge profound. I trusted Frodo to your care because I thought you strong. I am sorry. I erred.”

Her weeping became sobs.

“It is naught to be ashamed of, Indis. The evil that lies about the neck of Frodo Baggins is potent indeed. I would not challenge myself with it. Nor would Gandalf.”

She nodded, hiccupping a little.

He smiled down at her. “I must now ask you to remove yourself to Lórien, for the present. It will be safer for you. I am sending messengers to Celeborn on the morrow; you will accompany them.”

Her eyes widened. “My Lord,” she sobbed. “Do not send me away!”

He stood and took her hand in his, leading her back towards the healing ward. “It is already arranged, Indis. Please, do not question me.”

Indis left him then and flung herself, once she reached her own lodgings, upon her bed, weeping bitterly. She could not disobey Elrond; he was her Lord. Yet, how could she leave Frodo? Her heart told her she truly loved the hobbit. It was not evil. Well, she thought, it is not evil now, but I did lose myself whilst washing him. That never happened before. But, she defended herself, he is beautiful, comely, and lovely to behold.

 

The next morning, when she did not appear for the morning meal, Galdor was sent to fetch her. He returned to Erestor’s office, white-faced.

“What is it?” Elrond’s seneschal wondered. When no word passed the Elf’s lips, he stood, walked around his desk, and took the ellon by the arm. “Tell me, Galdor.”

“She will not wake. I shook her; I shouted; I stripped the covers off her. She will not wake!”

Erestor dismissed the Elf and walked quickly to Indis’ rooms. The elleth lay silent upon her bed, eyes barely open. He took her in his arms and called to her. She did not respond. Gently, he placed her back on her bed and ran to Elrond’s office. Gandalf was there along with Estel, as was Glorfindel.

Elrond said, “Come in, Erestor. We were discussing who would lead each of the patrols sent out to search for the Nazgûl.”

Erestor did not sit, but waited silently for his Lord.

“Is there a problem?”

“Indis will not wake.”

Elrond stood and ran from the room; Erestor followed close behind.

When the Lord of Imladris reached his friend’s chambers, he stopped and knocked. There was no answer and so he opened the door and stepped inside. Erestor waited upon the doorstep. Elrond sat beside Indis and took her hand into his. It was cold. “Ah, dear friend. What has become of you? What power holds you in its sway?”

“The Ring?” Erestor’s eyes tightened at the corners.

“That and something else,” Elrond replied. He placed his hand upon her brow and whispered into her ear. Her eyelids fluttered, but did not open. He spoke again, words of waking, and watched.

Erestor glanced about the room for some clue as to what might have happened to the elleth. There was naught to be seen. The room was sparse and uncluttered. The mantle held a few pieces of sculpture, rather poorly done. He deemed they were Indis’ own pieces. The table by the bed held a lamp, still lit, and a comb. Intrigued, he walked over and picked the comb up. Small, dark, curly hairs clung to the teeth. He showed it to Elrond.

Elrond’s face fell. “I believe I judged hastily.”

Erestor smiled at the Ent-quip.

“It is not just the Ring that has ensorcelled my friend.”

“Does she fade?” Erestor asked, surprise coloring his words.

“A type of fading, perhaps. One I have not seen before. I cannot say how it could be so. She was only with Frodo an hour, two at the most.”

“Then it must be the Ring.” Erestor’s voice was firm with conviction.

“I think the Ring may have begun to weaken our friend, left her open to feelings normally repressed, but the Ring began something it did not intend. I think Indis has fallen in love with the Ring-bearer.”

“Then it is more important than ever that she be sent to Lórien,” Erestor opined.

“We will see. Leave us, for a time. But place a guard upon the door.”

His seneschal nodded and left them.

“Indis, dear one, will you not wake. I will rescind my order. You may stay here, in your home. I will teach you the way to fight this thing, so that you may spend time with Frodo, if he agrees.”

He sat back in the lightly-stuffed chair and watched. Grief etched his face.

 

“I do not understand.” Estel walked beside Glorfindel. “Why is Adar so concerned… I know he loves and values his people, but why Indis? What holds him to her that he should rescind an order?”

The messengers to Lórien had been dispatched without the healer.

By the time they climbed the stairs to the library, Estel wondered if he should have asked. The golden Elf remained silent, but when Glorfindel turned to the left, away from the library and out onto one of the many balconies that graced the Last Homely House, Estel could wait no longer. “Glorfindel. Who is this elleth?”

The Elf turned to him, laid a hand upon his shoulder and exclaimed, “Ever have you been inquisitive! This quality, this curiosity, has almost claimed your life twice. Do you not learn from your experiences?”

At this, Estel blushed. “I was but a child when I fell down the cliff.”

“And the time you surprised a troll?”

Estel’s face grew redder. “I thought…”

“I know what you thought, Estel. Remember, I was your patrol leader. We near lost three warriors that day. Along with yourself.”

Estel turned away from his mentor and looked out upon the beauty that was Imladris. Memories flooded his mind – of numerous events. It had been long since he had been home. “I am responsible for others now.” His voice was quiet but firm. “If there is aught I need to know to protect them, I would have you tell me.”

“Ah, Estel.” Glorfindel’s voice held deep fondness in it. “Frodo is no longer under your protection.”

“Somehow, I do not feel that is quite true.” He looked out again upon the fair Elven lands spread before him and sighed. “I have bungled what little task I have been given.”

“Not bungled. You were ill-prepared to fight nine Nazgûl.” Glorfindel’s smile reached from ear to ear. How he loved this man! “I would say that is near the equivalent of one Balrog.”

Estel looked at his friend in surprise, then both burst into laughter.

“I take myself too seriously.”

“I think you do, Estel, but that is one of the qualities that endears you to me.” He grew serious. “Indis was friend, confidant, and healer to Celebrian. When her mistress and friend was attacked, she almost faded. Such was the bond between the two ellith. When Celebrian finally chose to sail, Indis assumed she would accompany her friend. Celebrian had other ideas. She begged Indis to stay and care for Arwen, knowing full well that Galadriel would come for her daughter’s youngest.” Glorfindel sighed. “Celebrian had some foresight, I think. Besides being Celebrian’s friend, Indis was also friend to Elrond. The three would sit for hours in the gardens – sharing stories, laughter, and song, along with sorrow. I believe Celebrian felt Elrond could not lose his mate and his best friend at the same time. She used Arwen as reason for Indis to remain behind, but I think it was more for Elrond’s sake. I think it was a mistake – for both of them. They suffered and drew apart, though, as you see today, the bond of friendship is still there.”

Estel nodded. “My Adar is kind.”

“That he is,” Glorfindel said as he put his hand back on Estel’s shoulder. “ That he is. Come now. It is almost time for the noon meal. I believe we are having trout. I am curious as to how many Sam will eat.”

Estel grinned. “If you wager, I will win.”

“How is that?”

“He will not leave Frodo’s side, not even for food, so you will not know the answer.”

“You speak truly. It is heartening - to see such loyalty.”

“I have watched these two since first they crossed my path in Bree. It is more than a gardener’s loyalty; it is devotion.”

  TBC





<< Back

        

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List