Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search
swiss replica watches replica watches uk Replica Rolex DateJust Watches

Trotter  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Twenty-Eight: My Return to Two Rivers


I remained in Rivendell for over a year, learning first to use the crutches, and then to walk, awkwardly at first, but gradually more easily. It took a long time before I got used to the clattering I made wherever I went, a long time to get used to the feel of the stockings and the weight of the shoes. But they did what they were meant to do and helped me to walk almost normally.

I had come to love the Last Homely House, and to feel at home among the Elves who had become my friends. I began to consider staying there. I knew I would be welcome-- that had been made clear to me, though I was never quite certain why they were so fond of a small and rather useless mortal. It was that last which decided me.

I knew that I would be of no use to the Elves. There might be small things I could do, potter about the garden, or occasionally cook something a bit different than the fare to which they were accustomed.

If I returned to Two Rivers, I would no longer be a Ranger-- what kind of scout would I be, clacking about in my wooden noisemakers? But there were things I could do in Two Rivers to actually be of service-- children to mind (and I sorely missed the presence of children in Rivendell ) and I would be of help to Lady Meldis and to Lady Moriel in their home. Perhaps I could assist in the schoolhouse. I knew that whatever happened, in Two Rivers I would be needed.

And too, I missed Thorn. I hoped that we could have things easy between us again-- he had felt so guilty over my injuries, blaming himself more than need be. I had long since forgiven him, but I hoped that he would forgive himself.

The day finally came when he arrived, accompanied by his father and by Archer and Dirhael. I had been preparing for my departure-- I could no longer ride, not with the shoes, and so I was going to ride with Elrohir, as he and Elladan would be going out with the Rangers as well.

I saw them coming. I was sitting in the courtyard as they cantered up. Arador it was who dismounted first, and the others followed suit. He came over to me, and I grinned up at him. "Hullo, Longshanks! It's been a while."

He laughed, and knelt to embrace me. "Ah, Trotter! It's good to see you again!"

The others greeted me as well-- all save Thorn, who hung back. I was dismayed. I could not bear it if he was afraid to speak to me. His father cast him a troubled glance, but then saw Elrond at the top of the stairs, and he and his Men moved to pay their respects. Thorn started to turn, but I called out to him.

"Thorn? Have you no greeting for me?"

He looked at me and blushed. "How are you Trotter?" he asked diffidently.

"I'm doing well enough. See my fancy footgear?" I put my foot out and tapped my shoe against the paving stone.

"Oh, Trotter!" His voice was filled with dismay.

"Come here, Thorn!" I was still his elder by some years, even though he was now an adult, and he obeyed, kneeling before me.

I reached out and took him by the shoulders. "Thorn, what happened, happened. If you still have some idea that you are in my debt, you may begin by bringing back my old friend Thorn, who smiled for me and laughed at my pointless jokes."

He looked up and studied my face carefully and then leaned forward into my embrace. "Oh, Trotter, I've missed you!"

Our journey back was uneventful, and rather cheerful to me, for I was able to catch up all the news from Two Rivers. The toll of Dirhael's and Ivorwen's sons was now five, but Ivorwen had declared she would not give up her quest for a daughter, though Dirhael declared their house was already full to bursting. Poor Oriel was as smitten with Nethon as ever, but he continued to think of her as a child-- which suited me well, as it did her father.

Shortly after we arrived, it was time for Arador and Thorn and several of the others to leave once more on patrol.

It was bittersweet for me-- I would miss being able to ride with the Rangers, and for the first time since I arrived, I wondered if I'd made a mistake in my choice.

Stark had received his own injury a few years ago, an arrow to the shoulder that prevented him from wielding a sword as well as he once had. But now he was in command of the defense of the town when the Chieftain was away. At one hundred and six, Lord Argonui still rode out sometimes, and he had taken the patrol to the West this year.

Stark asked me if I would join in the group of former Rangers who served in the watchtower and at the gates, and I was pleased to take on the duty. So every third day, I spent at the gatehouse. Climbing to the watchtower would have been too difficult with my shoes, which though fine for walking, were rather awkward for climbing!

I also resumed helping out in the school. The children were happy to see me, and I enjoyed being able to tell them stories and play games with them once again.

Gradually, I remade my place in Two Rivers.

The years passed, and I grew used to seeing the Rangers ride out without me, and I enjoyed watching the children grow up. When Oriel was twenty-five, she finally persuaded Nethon that she was old enough to marry, and their wedding was quite an occasion. Yet none of the maidens of Two Rivers had yet to capture her brother's eye, and his parents worried about an heir.

It was a fine fall day not long after the patrols had returned for the winter that Dirhael and Ivorwen finally became the parents of a daughter, whom they named Gilraen. She became the adored pet of her parents and all five of her older brothers. That same year, Master Hansael decided to retire from being the schoolmaster, and asked me to take on the task. At first I was reluctant, but after a good deal of encouragement, I agreed, with the stipulation that I be assisted by Oriel. She was surprised by this, but agreed.

I still dwelt with the Chieftain's family. Years ago, when Thorn had grown older, they had added onto the house, to give both of us rooms of our own. The post of schoolmaster came with its own little house attached, but I decided to remain where I was. I enjoyed having my family around me. Still, on days of inclement weather it was nice to have a place to stay the night, without having to clatter home through wet puddles-- one of the disadvantages of having shoes.

The routine of everyday life fell comfortably around me, like a warm and well-worn favourite blanket





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List