Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Trotter  by Dreamflower

 

A Meeting in the Wild

The next morning, I told Longshanks of my decision to stay among the Rangers, if they would have me.

He smiled and nodded. “But I felt I owed you the chance to return to your own people now. If you stay among the Rangers, it could be a very long time ere you get another opportunity to go home.”

“I would like to go home someday. But I am not ready to do so yet. I have only just begun to know my new friends! And there is still much to see in the world!”

Longshanks chuckled. “Truthfully, the others were not happy with me for giving you the chance to leave! They enjoy your cooking far too much!”

I laughed as well. There had been a couple of times when for one reason or another, one of the Men had done the cooking. I have to say, it was certainly not up to hobbit standards.

He grew serious once more. “Once we return to the waystation, we will be gathering most of the Men, to return to our home base, which is far from here, a little to the south and east. We shall be wintering there with our families. It will be a long journey.”

I nodded, trying not to show my dismay. I was happy with the life we led in the wild for now, and it made me feel a little shy at the thought of meeting the Men’s families. A few of them I knew about-- Archer for one, often spoke of his wife and children. And I knew the Poet was betrothed. Stark, I knew, had no family since his parents had died some years previously. However, I had no idea about Longshanks’ own family, for on that subject he had remained steadfastly tight-lipped.

We gathered our things together, and went down the stairs to partake of a substantial breakfast. I had become somewhat accustomed to the habits of the Big Folk, who only partook of three meals in the day. I made up for it by making sure to eat heartily, and then find something or another to nibble in between. I can't say I didn't miss second breakfast and elevenses, but it was not the hardship I once would have thought it. And I had begun introducing the others into the idea of teatime. I daresay they partook at first merely to humour me, but just before Longshanks and I had left for Bree, I had felt gratified to hear Archer tell the Poet that he would miss having afternoon tea with me!

Still, since we were journeying this day, I ate a hearty breakfast, for any nibbles we might have would be eaten in the saddle.

I said farewell to Mistress Tilly, and she promised to convey my thanks to her mother when next she saw her, and by nine o' clock, we two were riding back out through the gate into which we had come the day before.

The sky had turned grey, and the air was chill and damp. It seemed to me that we might have rain, either that day or the next, and Longshanks agreed with me. Once more, as we took the Road west this time, I averted my gaze from the Barrow-downs. We rode silently, neither singing nor humming, until we were well past those frightening mounds, and had turned north off the Road.

We were soon riding through the woods again. I noticed that even a day or two had made a difference to the foliage, which was just beginning to turn. In farmlands, harvest was past, or nearly so, for most crops. My family would be planning this year's Festival for the Tooks. I wondered whether my absence would put a damper on their festivities, and whether I should have decided to return home after all. Yet I had made my choice, and I would not go back on it now. Perhaps next year, I would go home. And if I could find someone going to the Shire, I could send a letter to assure them of my well-being, so that they would not grieve over me.

Perhaps I should have thought of that when we were still in Bree. I am sure that Mr. Butterbur could have been trusted to send such a message. But there would be other chances, I was sure.

We stopped at noon, to partake of the luncheon Mistress Tilly had provided us for two farthings. I was surprised when Longshanks paid for it, but he told me that he had luck with the furs he had brought in, and that this would repay me in part for my paying for the room. I did not argue with him-- if it came to repayment for hospitality, I owed the Rangers far more, for their rescue of me and for taking me in the way they had. But I had discovered they had their pride, so I made no more of it.

"Will all of us be leaving the Waystation?" I asked, as we ate.

Longshanks shook his head. "Lots were drawn before you and I left. Smiley and Hawk will stay on there this winter. But they will often be away-- we have other Waystations which they will check from time to time as they patrol."

"Ah," I nodded as though I understood, though the truth was, I really did not. I still was curious about what drove these Men to their lonely and hard life protecting people who knew next to nothing about them.

We were clearing up, leaving a few breadcrumbs for the birds, and packing all else away, when I heard something. I had learned that hobbit ears were sharper of hearing than those of Men, and I froze and turned to Longshanks. He caught my alarm. "What is it?" he asked sharply.

"Someone's coming," I said.

"Hide!" he ordered. I would like to have protested, but I did as he commanded instantly. I vanished into the undergrowth, and peered out, as he rose and drew his sword.

But suddenly his grim expression changed to one of joy, and he slid his sword back into its sheath. "Well met!" he exclaimed. "Come out, Trotter! Friends are here!"

I crept out to see the small body of horsemen-- most of the Rangers I had met so far, who smiled back at me. But my gaze was drawn to two others: identical they were, as like in face and form as a reflection in a mirrror. Their hair was dark and glossy, and hung down their backs; they were fair as the Sun and the Moon-- I had never seen one in my life before, but I knew without a doubt that these were two of the Fair Folk-- Elves!"

They both dismounted with a fluid grace, and reached out to Longshanks, who gripped their arms, one after the other, in greeting.

"Well met, indeed, Arador! We found you sooner than we had expected."

Arador? I looked at Longshanks in wonder. So that was his true name! And he was friends with Elves?

"Were you seeking me, then, Elladan?" my friend asked.

They both nodded. "Your father had a foresight, that you would be needed at home sooner than he thought."

Then one of them turned to look at me. "And is this the famous Trotter, of whom your Men cannot stop speaking?"

I gazed up at him speechlessly.





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List