Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Chapter Sixty-eight: Conversations About the Future, Part 1
 

Frodo returned to the hobbits' quarters as Gandalf and Elrond were leaving. They bid him farewell rather gravely as he passed into the parlour. Bilbo was ensconced in his armchair by the hearth with a blanket over his lap, dozing and snoring softly, but he opened his eyes with a smile for Frodo.

"Hullo, Frodo! Did you have a pleasant walk?" he asked. 

"Yes, Uncle. I brought you a mathom." Frodo reached in his pocket and drew forth the tiny dried form of a starfish, and held it out for inspection.

"Ah! A star of the Sea!" Bilbo gazed at it on his palm, and together the two of them marvelled over it much as they had when Frodo as a small child had shared such treasures. 

"We need to talk," said Frodo. "Why don't I bring us some lunch?"

He brought a tray with tea, a light broth, some toast and a bowl of grapes, and together they shared the light repast. Then they looked at one another, a strange shyness between them, for neither wished to speak first. 

Finally Bilbo said, "You know Frodo, while I have never called myself your father, I have always thought of you as the son of my heart. I could not be prouder of you if I tried. You brought so much delight and joy to my life."

"Oh, Uncle!" Frodo's eyes filled with tears. "I was lost without a place in the world until you brought me to Bag End." He reached forward and took Bilbo's hands between his own. "I know what is coming. I cannot be so selfish as to beg you to stay when your heart is ready to go." 

"Never doubt that we will be together again. And wait for Sam before you join me."

"Yes, Uncle."

 





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List