Stories of Arda Home Page
About Us News Resources Login Become a member Help Search

Ancestress  by Dreamflower

 

Conversations About the Past, Part 2

 "Pomona?" asked Frodo.

 "Pomona Goldworthy. She was Pippin's great-aunt, sister of his grandmother Periwinkle. I met her at Adalgrim's wedding when I was a young tween. She wore a scarlet ribbon around her ankle and we danced at the party." He sighed. "I harboured all sorts of fantasies about her--we were only young tweens at the time. I'd made up my mind to court her when we were of the proper age to do so, but just as I'd gathered the courage to speak, I learned of her apprenticeship. Afterwards, no other lass ever took my fancy in the same way, and after several years on my own, I became content with my bachelorhood. If I'd had a wife, I'd certainly never had any adventures. I don't know if that was a good thing or a bad."

"I've always wondered, Bilbo, if it was the Ring that kept me from ever finding a wife. Certainly it was jealous enough once it awakened. Do you think the Ring kept you from looking for someone else?"

Bilbo was silent for a moment, thinking and blowing smoke-rings. Then he answered, "No, I don't. I've no idea if Pomona would ever have returned my regard, but she was the one for me. As to yourself, ask yourself these questions, my lad: first, was there ever a lass who made you think of settling down before the Ring came to you? and second, were you happy enough without a wife? I mean, of course, before you knew what the Ring was."

Now Frodo was silent. Finally he shook his head. "No, there were lasses whose company I found pleasant enough, but none who stole my heart. And yes, I enjoyed being on my own most of the time. Still, I suppose we'll never know for certain."


Author's Note: I tell more about Bilbo's feelings for Pomona Goldworthy in my story "Eleventy-one Years: Too Short a Time".





<< Back

Next >>

Leave Review
Home     Search     Chapter List